Heritage Owners Club

Seth Lovers in my 555

slider313

I just finished installing a set of gold Seth Lovers in my 555. No need to look at other options 'cause these are the bomb!! Nice clear ringing woody hollowbody tone. The neck pickup is now useable without being "woofy", clear, warm and defined. The middle position is nice and woody with a crisp top end and very balanced. The bridge pickup is nice and has a top end bite without the brittleness some pickups have. I had these in my Hamer Special FM and decided to put them in the 555. I was torn because I had tried a few sets of pickups in the Hamer and the Seth's sounded the best. I made a trade with Matt for a set of Burstbuckers for the '59's from the Hamer. The Burstbuckers sound great in the Hamer, even better than the Seth's in that guitar. So it worked out well.  One thing, it wasn't easy installing pickups in a semi-solid. This was my first time doing this and I'm glad I had some surgical clamps handy.

Hi...

Just to make things clear. What pickups did you remove from the 555?

I ask this because I've been trying to get a bit of a database going on this very subject for us all to learn from.

Cheers and I'm glad you're happy with your new pups ;D

Hi...

Just to make things clear. What pickups did you remove from the 555?

I ask this because I've been trying to get a bit of a database going on this very subject for us all to learn from.

Cheers and I'm glad you're happy with your new pups ;D

Cos, this one came with stock Schallers.

Cos, this one came with stock Schallers.

Thanks for that, so that's a vote for Seth's over Shallers in a semi Hollow. no real surprises there I suppose but nice to know. :)

Make you wonder why a company would put all that time and effort into hand making a guitar and then fitting it with what would generally be considered as inferior pickups. :'(

Hmmmm ... because Seth Lover developed them.  ;)

tulk1, actually they are "copys" of the original PAF humbucking design that Seth Lover invented. They are Duncan Seth Lovers and are made on the same winding machine, with the same materials, Seth used when working at Gib..n. Duncan consulted with SL to get it right and uses his name and most likely pays royalties to his estate. These are supposed to be the closest thing to a real PAF.

Thanks for that, so that's a vote for Seth's over Shallers in a semi Hollow. no real surprises there I suppose but nice to know. :)

Make you wonder why a company would put all that time and effort into hand making a guitar and then fitting it with what would generally be considered as inferior pickups. :'(

I am of the firm belief that Heritage was using Stew-Mac for a long time for hardware/pickups. They must have got volume discounts, because StewMac used to sell the Schaller pickups (which are now relabeled as Golden Age), and those Schaller bridges..........

Before I knew of George Land, I used to wonder why they called it the Polaroid Land Camera. I thought maybe they made another model for use on the high seas.

I used to think the same thing.  ;)

tulk1, actually they are "copys" of the original PAF humbucking design that Seth Lover invented. They are Duncan Seth Lovers and are made on the same winding machine, with the same materials, Seth used when working at Gib..n. Duncan consulted with SL to get it right and uses his name and most likely pays royalties to his estate. These are supposed to be the closest thing to a real PAF.

Fair enough. And good info!!

I've tried the Seth's in my H150 but they were a little too bright/thin sounding.  And this through my Orange Rockerverb 50 with Scumbacks.  I much prefer WCR's (Darkbusrt/Goodwood).  I haven't even gotten to try my Sheptones yet.  So what I'm saying is, if you think the Seths's are good......

I've tried the Seth's in my H150 but they were a little too bright/thin sounding.  And this through my Orange Rockerverb 50 with Scumbacks.  I much prefer WCR's (Darkbusrt/Goodwood).  I haven't even gotten to try my Sheptones yet.   So what I'm saying is, if you think the Seths's are good......

I can see where the Seths may sound a bit bright in some solidbody guitars, depending on the woods. It's another ballgame when dealing with a semi-solid or hollowbody. I found the original Schallers to be too warm and mid happy especially in the neck position. The bridge was acceptable. The Seths seem to let the wood breathe and the neck pickup is heaven as is the middle position. The bridge p/u just needs the tone pot rolled to down to 5 or 6 when using it by itself.

+1 on seth lovers.  Have a 535 that had schallers, swapped for seth lovers and it really woke up the guitar.  One of the best guitar changes I've ever made.  If you're fan of heritage (or vintage tone), might be interested in the below info...  to me, these pickups on semi-hollow or hollow body Heritages make sense from multiple fronts.

http://www.provide.net/%7Ecfh/seth.html

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/new-...eth_lover_fath/

cheers,

randy

Archived