Heritage Owners Club

Peavey Classic 30 vs Fender Blues Jr. vs Orange Tiny Terror

JWALKER

My local dealer has a Fender Blues Jr. and a Orange Tiny Terror, and he can get a Peavey Classic 30. My choices are limited to these, in that I have around $240 of a trade in credit with the dealer. The Orange is very pricey, so I am leaning more towards the Peavey or the Fender. I live 80 miles away from the Peavey factory, so the Peavey seems to be a good choice. He can also get Vox amps, so the AC-15 could also be obtained. However, it seems that the Peavey or the Fender are more critically acclaimed.

From my previous thread, I am going to use the amp for home use only, and my music interest range from Jazz, Blues, New Age, and Rock.

I think GC has one of the Fender Blues Jr. in the Hot Rod Series at around $450, and incidently, GC also has the Fender BJ NOS Hot Rod series amp priced at $ 580. I am not sure if these are two different versions, as they seem to have the same specs.The Peavey goes for $600.

If anybody out there has owned or listened to all or any of these, I would love to hear from you.

I have a stock Blues Junior -Mexican made. If you're looking for a classic Fender tweed sound, this amp is loaded with it.

My only complaint is that it generates a lot of sound -maybe too much for a practice amp. That said, I'm now front-ending it with a Boss ME25 and can now produce a wide range of tone at comfortable listening volumes.

Sorry, I cannot comment on either of the other amps your considering.

I have owned a Blues junior which I liked, but it couldn't provide that cranked tube overdrive I like..i used a TS-9 with it and it sounded pretty good..But then I tried a (you guessed it) Peavey Classic 30..I love it!! True 2 channel switching witha nice sounding reverb, and that screaming smooth tube overdrive i'd been missing! All for under $600..Plus it's made in the good ol USA..no brainer in MHO..

I own two of the amps you're asking about...so hopefully I can help a bit.

For Jazz I really like the Blues Jr. I have the limited ed with green toles and v30 speaker. Great Grant Green sound with my 530 and feel like i finially found the rig I've been searching for in respect to "my jazz sound"

BUT

I've never seen a more flexable amp for the money than the c30. Right outta the box it sounds a bit flat to me, but a decent set of tubes and youre off and running. Maybe down the road replace the speaker if looking for a more specific type of sound. But my c30 did everything I asked of it for 15 years (funk/r&b/blues/emo/pop etc) it takes pedals really well and it very reliable.

Check out my post on re-vamping my c30 on this thread. Classic v2.0 I think is the title

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HRB853370

I own both the Peavey Classic 30 and its big brother, the Classic 50. The 30 has plenty of power, and plays fairly cleanly. I never have to turn it up past 5 or 6 at home. Have not gigged with it however. I like the workmanship of Peavey. Not sure if they still make them in Meridian however. I have heard rumors about offshore production on many of their products.

I have the Fender Blues Junior, and put quite a bit more money getting the Billm mods done (google billm). It is much better now than it was, but it STILL takes a back seat to my Peavey Classic 30, with new JJ tubes and a Weber Blue Dog speaker installed. I bought my Classic 30 used, so I don't know if it was just ready for new tubes and speaker or what, but it's a completely different amp now, for the better. No WRONG answer here, but I'd play both if I were you. The Blues Junior, to me, can sound pretty boxy in it's stock form; I don't know if that is due to the cabinet size, or what, but that was my observation.

I own both the Peavey Classic 30 and its big brother, the Classic 50. The 30 has plenty of power, and plays fairly cleanly. I never have to turn it up past 5 or 6 at home. Have not gigged with it however. I like the workmanship of Peavey. Not sure if they still make them in Meridian however. I have heard rumors about offshore production on many of their products.

Say it ain't so..Is nothing sacred anymore?

peavey-logo.gif

I would buy the Classic 30.

Say it ain't so..Is nothing sacred anymore?

Some of their amps are still made in USA; some are built in China. But the Classic 30 is still made in the USA! MADE-IN-THE-USA-ICON.gif

From my previous thread, I am going to use the amp for home use only, and my music interest range from Jazz, Blues, New Age, and Rock.

I would go for the Orange "Tiny Terror" if you're playing strictly at home. It's 15 watts and has a half power switch. It can get very sweet cleans and amazing crunch at low levels, which translates to a great recording or "bedroom" type amp. The other guitarist in my band has one, in a head, and he brings it to practice running it through a 2x12 cab.

I know this is not going to be liked but honestly...

None of the above! Go boutique for your next amp.

Custom shop amp for a custom shop guitar. Something that does not have el84's in it. You already have an el84 amp.

Take your time and don't limit yourself to what your dealer can get for you. Possibly a nice single ended design like a Carr Mercury, Fuchs Lucky 7, Siegmund Midnight Special. Small single ended designs sound really sweet. Simple circuit basically sounds great and pimp it out with NOS tubes to boot. Your ears will thank you.

I know this is not going to be liked but honestly...

None of the above! Go boutique for your next amp.

Custom shop amp for a custom shop guitar. Something that does not have el84's in it. You already have an el84 amp.

Take your time and don't limit yourself to what your dealer can get for you. Possibly a nice single ended design like a Carr Mercury, Fuchs Lucky 7, Siegmund Midnight Special. Small single ended designs sound really sweet. Simple circuit basically sounds great and pimp it out with NOS tubes to boot. Your ears will thank you.

HAHA! Mav you're not really comparing apples to apples here. There is a million miles between a Carr and a Peavey c30. There is no debating that. But c30's are nice inexpensive and reliable amps but if he had $2k to spend I'm sure he would not be asking our opinions on a BJr, c30, or Orange Terror.

My local dealer has a Fender Blues Jr. and a Orange Tiny Terror, and he can get a Peavey Classic 30. My choices are limited to these, in that I have around $240 of a trade in credit with the dealer. The Orange is very pricey, so I am leaning more towards the Peavey or the Fender. I live 80 miles away from the Peavey factory, so the Peavey seems to be a good choice. He can also get Vox amps, so the AC-15 could also be obtained. However, it seems that the Peavey or the Fender are more critically acclaimed.

I think GC has one of the Fender Blues Jr. in the Hot Rod Series at around $450, and incidently, GC also has the Fender BJ NOS Hot Rod series amp priced at $ 580. I am not sure if these are two different versions, as they seem to have the same specs.The Peavey goes for $600.

If anybody out there has owned or listened to all or any of these, I would love to hear from you.

I like all three amps in question. However, for a home practice amp, you may want to consider another choice. The fender Super Champ XD in the Vintage Modified series. 15 watts of power 1 x 12AX7 & 2 x 6V6 tubes, Hybrid Tube/Solid State Amplifier with "Class AB" Power Amp. "Voice" Control with 16 Different Amp Voicings Delivering Various Clean and Overdriven Tones for any Style of Music: Blues, Rock, Country, Jazz, Metal, and More. 16 DSP Effects (Vibratone Slow; Vibratone Fast; Delay 130ms; Delay 300ms; Delay 450ms; Large Room Reverb; Concert Hall Reverb; Classic Fender Spring Reverb; Reverb+Delay; Fast Chorus; Deep Chorus; Chorus+Delay; Chorus+Reverb; Tremolo Low Speed; Tremolo Medium Speed; Tremolo High Speed). External Speaker Output Allows use with External Speaker Cabinet Line Output. Strap Handle. Red Jeweled Pilot Light.

Comes in at $299.00 retail at GC.

Just a thought.

Crank it up...

Mark

BJ is a very sweet deal for that price. If you load it with G12H30 or Tone Tubby Alnico, it becomes such a great amp, and you can hear some BF tone.

Classic 30 is versatile and most powerfull of all three, yet sits in the middle. I mean it sounds OK, but not quite enough for my taste.

Orange TT is a little different then these two above. You could consider it as a portable version of classic British EL84 amps. It is made in PROC by the way.

As a conclusion, I'd stick to BJ with some mods such as the speaker and tubes. It could give you all the range you need.

EDIT: This seems a great deal: http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...?showtopic=9856

If we're going with other choices for home use, then this is a real bargin. I'm actually thinking of picking up the head version and using it with my JBL loaded 1x12 Avatar cab.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/VHTSP6C.htm

I'm sorry. I spit soda all over my screen. VHT is a top notch amp. Always been impressed with their quality. If they inact the same QA/QC on their imports as they do their domestics, then this will be sweet!

Archived