Heritage Owners Club

Sweet 16 Unplugged

pcovers

I have been enjoying my new Sweet 16 unplugged. As I was sitting here at my computer this morning, I thought I would click on my mic and do a very bad job of recording about 30 seconds of the 16 unplugged. Since it is usually thought of as a Jazz box, I decided to play something un jazzy and kind of just, well acoustic guitar-ish. As you will hear, the cheap computer mic combined with the compression to mp3 pretty much eliminated any possibility of decent quality. Yet a little sense of how reasonably nice these can be unplugged does come through. Trust me, it does sound better live than this compressed clip does it justice. Really fabulous plugged in, but very much satisfying as an acoustic as well.

For what it's worth:

Crude Sweet 16 unplugged sound clip

Guest mgoetting

Sounds very nice.

You can't avoid the archtop tones. It is bright and balanced.

What set of strings are you using?

Since I was messing around today, I decided to change our the D'Addario strings to the Pyramid Gold Flatwound. So much more melodical and full. Never played any Pyramid strings before but, though tastes are subjective, I could not imagine anyone not hearing a significant audible difference between the Pyramids and the D'Addarios I had on. These are much more articulate, louder, and clear and musical, though not overly fundamental. They are really nice flatwounds. Almost like a flatwound Phosphor Bronze sound if there were such a thing. No "thudiness" to these strings. Highly recommended for an archtop.

Guest mgoetting
Since I was messing around today, I decided to change our the D'Addario strings to the Pyramid Gold Flatwound. So much more melodical and full. Never played any Pyramid strings before but, though tastes are subjective, I could not imagine anyone not hearing a significant audible difference between the Pyramids and the D'Addarios I had on. These are much more articulate, louder, and clear and musical, though not overly fundamental. They are really nice flatwounds. Almost like a flatwound Phosphor Bronze sound if there were such a thing. No "thudiness" to these strings. Highly recommended for an archtop.

Which set of Pyramids?

The GHS strings on my Sweet 16 are much rougher than any other GHS set I've used.

I'm willing to try another set of flatwounds as long as they don't sound lifeless.

Thanks.

Pyramid Gold Pure Nickel Flat Wound 6 String, .011 - .048, GF611

I found the D'Addario a little lifeless and the Pyramid much more musical and alive. Quite a difference. Plus, the D'Addario were a bit rough and the Pyramid are truly flat and smooth. Some flatwounds are dull, these....not so much - rings out much more acoustically.

Same recording device, settings, distance, export and upload tools. Though the two are somewhat different they are close enough to gauge the difference that the string change made. I love the Pyramids, the D'Addario sounded and felt a bit crude and loud and buzzy. The Pyramid made me feel like i could achiever a better sound and articulation. The tune is just an on the spot noodle, but serves to show the difference strings make on at least one Sweet 16.

D'Addario half wounds

Pyramid Gold Flatwound Strings

Guest mgoetting

I have a request. Would you play some single line stuff that emphasizes the wound strings? That's where flats have problems. Thanks.

Where I get my strings, Pyramids cost five times as my current strings.

Ouch.

I have a request. Would you play some single line stuff that emphasizes the wound strings? That's where flats have problems. Thanks.

Where I get my strings, Pyramids cost five times as my current strings.

Ouch.

You mean like a walking base line or just a random melodic slow run up and down across all strings?

Guest mgoetting
You mean like a walking base line or just a random melodic slow run up and down across all strings?

Either would do. I would like to hear what the wound strings sound like.

Pyramids are $25 a set at www.juststrings.com!

Archived