Heritage Owners Club

Guitar Tech in Minneapolis/St. Paul

Josh

Hi all,

I just bought a used H575. It's a great guitar - I love the tone. Spruce top, almond, neck pickup, plays nice - just a great guitar. It's a 2003 model if I decoded the serial number correctly.

Unfortunately, two issues with the guitar have arisen that I didn't notice prior to purchase.

1) The volume knob/pot is unresponsive and scratchy.

2) There seems to be fret buzz on some of the lower frets on the G string. I might need fret polishing done.

I'd like to take it to a tech and get it checked out a fixed, but I just moved to the Twin Cities and don't really know any reputable guitar techs. Can anyone recommend someone in the area?

Also, while I'm at it, I've put flatwound 12s on it. Anyone put anything higher (13s) on their 575s? The fellow I bought it from thought that 13s would drive the top too much. Never having had an archtop I don't have the experience to know if this is true. I'm not unsatisfied with the 12s, so I might just keep these on.

There are at least two HOC members that I have met personally that live in the TC. Stay tuned, you will get help. And congrats on your new baby. wait till you get the kinks worked out.. and, we have a requirement that all new members post pics of their baby!

welcome! :)

Hi all,

I just bought a used H575. It's a great guitar - I love the tone. Spruce top, almond, neck pickup, plays nice - just a great guitar. It's a 2003 model if I decoded the serial number correctly.

Unfortunately, two issues with the guitar have arisen that I didn't notice prior to purchase.

1) The volume knob/pot is unresponsive and scratchy.

2) There seems to be fret buzz on some of the lower frets on the G string. I might need fret polishing done.

I'd like to take it to a tech and get it checked out a fixed, but I just moved to the Twin Cities and don't really know any reputable guitar techs. Can anyone recommend someone in the area?

Also, while I'm at it, I've put flatwound 12s on it. Anyone put anything higher (13s) on their 575s? The fellow I bought it from thought that 13s would drive the top too much. Never having had an archtop I don't have the experience to know if this is true. I'm not unsatisfied with the 12s, so I might just keep these on.

Hi Josh,

Welcome to Heritage.First,lets look at the unresponsive/scratchy pots.Two ways with this.First,when I got my C140,the pots were of the wrong type.Everything came on between 0 to 3,then nothing usable after that.I had them changed for pots that worked not a lot to about 6 or 7,then everything. If they are scratchy,then they may need a solvent wash.Under NO Circumstances use WD40.No,no,no ! It's for cars,not guitars.It will ruin ANY electronics.What you need is a solvent that is pure.When you go down to Tandy's,take a piece of clean paper with you,squirt the solvent on it,wait until it evaporates.If there is a deposit left on the paper,don't buy it.Find one that leaves no residue.Take the control plate off,and squirt into the pots where the tag connections are.Rotate the pots to disperse the dirt.

Second issue.I've included some photo's here. First,part the strings sideways (all strings,individually ) so the actual playing area on the fret is revealed.If there is a deep divot,you may need a stoning & dressing. Second,press each string in turn with the index finger on you right hand behind the third fret,then,using the index finger on your left hand,press down behind the second string.There should be some relief.If they lay flat,the nut is too low.If they are too high,chords & string bends will be difficult to perform.Third,sight the length of the neck,from the nut to the bridge.The neck should have a slight concave ( Dip),If it's convex ( Hump),the truss rod should be slackened off slightly.No more that 1/8 of a turn at a time.Repeat the process if necessary.Be very careful.Fourth,this is slightly difficult.Fret the guitar on the first fret with your left hand index finger.While holding that down,with the little finger on your right hand,fret the 13 the fret.Hold that down too,arc your hand so you can fret the neck with your thumb or index finger, on the 7 th fret.There should be some relief.If it doesn't move,the neck is too tight,release the truss rod,as described before,or if there's too much relief,tighten the truss rod.Fifth,adjust the height of the bridge as necessary.All adjustments should be made with the guitar tune to pitch.It's difficult to give precise measurements.Time & experience will tell you. Your H575 should take .013" gauge strings.I've had them on mine,and work well.Remember,gauge.012" acoustically are light,.013" are medium.George Benson has a .014" first string.If the geometry of the guitar is set right,they are still easy to play,just difficult to bend. You may,of course,have to visit your local,friendly luthier,who will probably e.mail me to stop me giving away his secrets.Good Luck,and enjoy that H575 !

Peter Alton Green

post-1702-1281548110_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1281548156_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1281548434_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1281548642_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1281548947_thumb.jpg

Thanks Peter for the information. I didn't even think to check the neck relief, but sure enough, it looks like the neck is either perfectly straight or back-bowed. I'm guessing it's closer to straight since it does play well for the most part. However, using a feeler gauge I noticed that I couldn't get .10 under the 7th fret. Tonight I'll spend more time measuring it.

Happily, looks like the frets are fine. Perhaps I'll swap on the 13s before adjusting the bow.

I'm still interested in techs in the area, especially if I can't resolve this satisfactorily myself.

P.S. - Pictures to come :)

Hi Josh - welcome to Minneapolis. Leonard Shapiro is (in my opinion) one of if not the best in the TC area. Tell him Randy sent ya (and when you show him a Heritage, he won't be suprised... he has a 535 himself). He's done a lot of work on my guitars and I've always been pleased. He's down just east of the U.

http://moseso.com/lsgr/

Note, he also goes by 'Moses Oakland' and hosts a blues jam Sunday nights at Famous Daves in Uptown (Calhoun Square). A good jam if it's near you or on your time schedule.

Let us know how the guitar comes out. Nice score - those 575s are excellent boxes.

(and I'm one of the guys that Chico is referring to in his post... he's a great guy, great guitar player, but ya know - he lives over there in Wisconsin, but 2 outa 3 is okay... :)

Thanks so much for the recommendation! I took off the truss rod cover and discovered I don't have a tool to appropriately adjust the rod, so I sent an email to Mr. Shapiro to see if he has room in his queue to do a setup/analysis of my guitar. I think I might as well get a pro to set it up like I would do with almost any new guitar.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update this thread:

I took my guitar to Leonard and he did a great setup, fixing the pots and the buzz (which turned out to be a loose "H" on the tailpiece). Thanks for the recommendation Randy!

Just thought I'd update this thread:

I took my guitar to Leonard and he did a great setup, fixing the pots and the buzz (which turned out to be a loose "H" on the tailpiece). Thanks for the recommendation Randy!

Josh - turns out I just missed you. Was at Leonard's shop and first thing he says is 'the guy you referred to me, Josh, was just in here with a Heritage'. He talked about the 'H' tailpiece on your guitar - glad he got it fixed up for ya. Stop out to his jam at Famous Dave's on Sunday night sometime - he's got a good band, conducts a nice jam.

Archived