Heritage Owners Club

575 outing

jazzrat

I actually got out of archtops for a while because jazz gigs dried up completely.

I decided I could not live without one so now I'm back in big time.

Last Friday I played with a trio for a Wine tasting /meet and greet/cooking demo

at a place callee Rudy's, A Cook's Paradise.

He has this deal the first Friday of every month.

I played with my old sax playing buddy and a fine URB guy that I've played with before.

I played my 575 through a Henriksen JazzAmp 110.

The guitar sounded and played great. With ongoing arthritis issues I was concerned...

1. can I hold up to a 3 hour gig

2. since I have to use light strings with a TOM bridge, can I get a decent jazz tone.

No worries on either score. The 575 sounds fat and plays beautifully.

We did a lot of standards as well as some Herbie Hancock and Pat Metheny stuff

It was well received and a bunch of fun.

Walked out with a C note in my pocket and looking forward to playing more.

I actually got out of archtops for a while because jazz gigs dried up completely.

I decided I could not live without one so now I'm back in big time.

Last Friday I played with a trio for a Wine tasting /meet and greet/cooking demo

at a place callee Rudy's, A Cook's Paradise.

He has this deal the first Friday of every month.

I played with my old sax playing buddy and a fine URB guy that I've played with before.

I played my 575 through a Henriksen JazzAmp 110.

The guitar sounded and played great. With ongoing arthritis issues I was concerned...

1. can I hold up to a 3 hour gig

2. since I have to use light strings with a TOM bridge, can I get a decent jazz tone.

No worries on either score. The 575 sounds fat and plays beautifully.

We did a lot of standards as well as some Herbie Hancock and Pat Metheny stuff

It was well received and a bunch of fun.

Walked out with a C note in my pocket and looking forward to playing more.

Great story Jazzrat, glad it worked out for you. And to leave with a c note makes it even better. I've always said getting paid for playing guitar was the only "job" I've ever had that I would have done for free.

As I age some, I have the fear of arthritis, my mom had it. Glad you where able to maintain.

The capability of the 575 with light strings is a testament to the instrument and, I suppose, the player.

great story...glad you had fun and your 575 worked out great!!

I have my first solo jazz gig looming in September. 2 hours of nothing but me is kinda spooky but its a low key gig (dinner set w/ all standards). I'll be using some backing tracks to keep it interesting but there is really no where to hide :/

With the summer heat conveniently waning on the weekends, I got to take the 575 out of case hibernation last weekend for a special gig on Butch Warren's birthday. The weather looks good this week too, though it's still a bit too high for risking the Super Eagle. Glad to see these guitars getting out and about for gigs; best of luck to everyone!

Kind of funny in that one of the few other working jazz guitarists in town also plays a 575.

He actually stopped by our gig because it started an hour before his.

While we were setting up he played my 575...... buzzed like crazy for him since he uses

12's or 13's. He said it sounded good when I played since I have a light touch.

Guess that's all that matters.

With the summer heat conveniently waning on the weekends, I got to take the 575 out of case hibernation

We are in a high desert here. I keep a Dampit in my case but I really don't fuss too much about humidity.

Hope I don't live to regret it.

With the summer heat conveniently waning on the weekends, I got to take the 575 out of case hibernation last weekend for a special gig on Butch Warren's birthday. The weather looks good this week too, though it's still a bit too high for risking the Super Eagle. Glad to see these guitars getting out and about for gigs; best of luck to everyone!

I will admit, Matt, my upcoming prospect has be nervous as all get out because of my extreme lack of experience in jazz... but... I figure this is about the best way to get that experience. It will be very nice to take the Heritage out of the house and put it in front of some folks.

In GA, humidity is about all we have! haha. You are welcome to some of it.

No thank you very much! I've spent time in the south and midwest. I likes it juuussst fine like it is.

Like today...79 degrees....36% hum...pretty nice.

I figure this is about the best way to get that experience

That's all you can do is jump in. I wish I was better. I try to practice and learn all the expected stuff but never quite get it.

I will continue to work on it but I'm a hack hobby player and that's ok. I try and make up for talent by being prepared,

showing up on time, being a good listener in the group setting and not going on and on with the "I suck" speech.

I just do what can do and try to do a little more next time.

It's just like golf....I hit just enough good ones to keep me coming back.

That's all you can do is jump in. I wish I was better. I try to practice and learn all the expected stuff but never quite get it.

I will continue to work on it but I'm a hack hobby player and that's ok. I try and make up for talent by being prepared,

showing up on time, being a good listener in the group setting and not going on and on with the "I suck" speech.

I just do what can do and try to do a little more next time.

It's just like golf....I hit just enough good ones to keep me coming back.

That is my stance: if I find my talent lacking, be prepared. :huh:

Congrats JR. No matter the circumstances you can count on that 575 to shine!

Snap any pics of the gig by any chance?

I quite agree. Last gig was playing at my stepdaughter's wedding with our Rock'n'Roll band. I was going to use my Kay as usual as I don't like to gig the 575. The guys heard me doing some reheasing on the 575, which they'd not seen before. They remarked it had the jangly Gibson sound and convinced me to use that - nothing but the best for the stepdaughter!

I usually use the 575 for mellow jazz work but it performed superbly in rock mode. It had a presence that was clearly distinct but not overbearing. What a versatile instrument. Drat, I may have to use it more often as a rock machine!

Archived