Heritage Owners Club

difference among 140, 150, 157 in sound

Guest mgoetting

First thing... you shouldn't pick the same pickups for these three.

I had this conversation with Mark at PSP ...

It's about using darker pickups with brighter guitars and vise versa.

I'd expect the 140 to be resonate, and to have a nice punch and take a hot pickup quite nicely.

the 150 would have more bottom end , with the mahogany making a difference in individual guitars......

The 157 being different from the 150 largly in feel, with a denser feel and little more pop to the sound because of the ebony board.

First thing... you shouldn't pick the same pickups for these three.

I had this conversation with Mark at PSP ...

It's about using darker pickups with brighter guitars and vise versa.

I'd expect the 140 to be resonate, and to have a nice punch and take a hot pickup quite nicely.

the 150 would have more bottom end , with the mahogany making a difference in individual guitars......

The 157 being different from the 150 largly in feel, with a denser feel and little more pop to the sound because of the ebony board.

Fred, why would you expect the 140 to be (more) resonate, etc? Same woods as the 150, just a slightly smaller body.

Less mass. Resonates easier.

What barry said... ;)

Of course, first it should be mentioned that there are two 140's and my experience is with the first edition.

Although I would expect it to be about the same a second edition.

I think it may also have to do with the perception of resonance , because the guitar resonates at a bit higher frequency.. where a lot of the playing is being heard.

I feel like the thicker mahogany in the 150 allows a bit more lows to get through , and the maple cap aids the higher frequency definition.

Where as in the 140 the response is squeezed towards the middle a bit and those frequencies are where you'll feel the resonance.

Like turning up the mids on an amp and feeling the sustain in that range.

What barry said... ;)

Of course, first it should be mentioned that there are two 140's and my experience is with the first edition.

Although I would expect it to be about the same a second edition.

I think it may also have to do with the perception of resonance , because the guitar resonates at a bit higher frequency.. where a lot of the playing is being heard.

I feel like the thicker mahogany in the 150 allows a bit more lows to get through , and the maple cap aids the higher frequency definition.

Where as in the 140 the response is squeezed towards the middle a bit and those frequencies are where you'll feel the resonance.

Like turning up the mids on an amp and feeling the sustain in that range.

Sounds perfect for aging rockers! Especially with the lighter weight. ;)

Archived