Heritage Owners Club

What speaker is this?

JeffB

Looks like an evm12l or 12s that has been reconed. Bet it's punchy, loud, full range w/big bottom and articulate upper mids and highs...

I thought it was an ev.

Why do you say its been reconed?

Your description of its performance and tonal characteristics are spot on.

had a bit of a look around the web and found this.

The PRII was offered with an Electro-Voice speaker as a factory-fitted option, called model 12F. I don't know how much more it cost. New Aug 06; I'm delighted to hear from Greg in Texas. He bought his PRII, with the EV option, new in 1982. He had the chance temporarily to change his speaker for the Pyle or Eminence, and reports that the EV is much, much louder. The thought scares me because I think the PRII is plenty loud with the stock speaker. The EV looks like this;

priievspeaker.jpg

Big magnet, eh? I wonder what effect that has on the sound. Viewed from the front, this speaker has an aluminium central dome - under normal lighting it's normally visible through the grille cloth - which makes me think it produces piercing highs. One contributor below says it was great for clean work. He replaced his with a Celestion Greenback, which has a more bluesy reputation. But I haven't heard either.

When I first got the amp this speaker came in(20ish yrs ago) it had the Fender sticker on it like in the above pic. Some how it came off and ended up stuck on the wall at our rehearsal space. Long gone.

I've got the big white version of the EV speaker... They are great in the right situation.

Cleaner , more Hi Fidelity than Celestions or whatever... IMO.

The big white ones were alnico magnet speakers. The one in the photo is a ceramic magnet.

EV's have a very loyal, almost herd following thang among Mesa Boogie amp owners. Personally I prefer the smoothness in the dirty tones and less strident upper mids /top end of the JBL G125-8 12 inch and G135-8 15 inch. Similar build quality to the ev. Much more rare, though.

EV's have a very loyal, almost herd following thang among Mesa Boogie amp owners. Personally I prefer the smoothness in the dirty tones and less strident upper mids /top end of the JBL G125-8 12 inch and G135-8 15 inch. Similar build quality to the ev. Much more rare, though.

I agree with your assessment of JBL speakers. I have a friend who uses an EVM in his '66 Deluxe Reverb. It big, bold and CLEAN retaining that scooped mid Fender tone. He doesn't use any pedals and for the most part plays his '63 strat through it. Very Mark Knopfler sounding. I prefer a JBL K120 in my DR. The bass is smooth and tight, mids seem to bloom the highs are smooth.

Archived