Heritage Owners Club

Flying With My Heritage

peacemaker

Um, I'm worried. :D

So, I COULD take the neck off my strat and put it in my suitcase, no worries. But I just don't play as well on anything else as I do on my 575 and I really want to use IT! I want that confidence, the sound, the feel . . . you know. I feel like it's worth it to me to risk the 575 in order to have it with me on this trip. So . . .

I MAY be able to carry it on, but maybe not. This guitar came to me from Jazzpunk here on the board (on the other coast), and guitars are shipped in various ways all over the world all the time . . . you can tell I'm trying to make myself feel better about taking it. ;) I guess I'll just pack it up as though it were being shipped UPS or something? (I think there's a thread somewhere on here about how to pack a guitar for shipping . . . ) But then, of course, I'd have to open it all up to be searched at security. If I have to do that, it would be easier to just carry the case on . . . but then what if I have to check it at the gate & it goes in the belly of the beast with no outer box, packing peanuts, etc.?

Now, if anybody has horror stories of flying with a guitar and wants to try and dissuade me from flying with mine, I'll listen!

Or, if anybody has some advice on how to do it safely, I'd appreciate that!

Alaska Air has always been accommodating with respect to guitars. NorthWorst - not so much; perhaps that is why they changed their name.

Security with a guitar is rather simple. I wouldn't fret about that :thumbsup:

ProStage has a cool combo deal. It's a high quality gig bag for when you arrive that

is nested inside a flight case.

http://prostagegear.com/products/prostageg...segigbagcombos/

It you could carry it on I might suggest the new Reunion Blues Continental case.

http://www.rbcontinental.com/index.html

I recently got one. It's the first "soft" case that I would trust a set neck guitar in.

It's pretty amazing.

Both options are a little pricey.

I wanted to take my 575 back east, but went with the solidbody/gigbag combo instead. :thumbsup:

I wouldnt gamble on being able to take a 575 on board, and no way would i try to stuff t in a gig bag.

Um . . . thanks for that? :lol::D

At least I'm not flying United . . . but I do have a searing memory of watching out a plane window as one of my guitars, covered in "FRAGILE" stickers and wrapped in red "FRAGILE" tape took flight from a baggage handler to a conveyor on the tarmac not unlike the less-than-comforting video you so thoughtfully shared . . .

Archived