Heritage Owners Club

Touching up a nick on the mahogany

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

I was in my local guitar shop, the the guitar tech there told me he touched up a nick on the back of his Gibson SG with some nail enamel. He didn't know which color he used, so I headed down to my local WM and found this and it worked absolutely perfectly!

Rimmel London Lasting Finish Pro nail lacquer

#390 Burgundy Flirt

Guess what! It is slightly darker than the mahogany stain and looks just like a little darker spot in the wood now, which looks very natural. One little dab on the peghead edge where the nick was and voila, it filled the depression also!

An easy $3.50 fix!

I was in my local guitar shop, the the guitar tech there told me he touched up a nick on the back of his Gibson SG with some nail enamel. He didn't know which color he used, so I headed down to my local WM and found this and it worked absolutely perfectly!

#390 Burgundy Flirt

Guess what! It is slightly darker than the mahogany stain and looks just like a little darker spot in the wood now, which looks very natural. One little dab on the peghead edge where the nick was and voila, it filled the depression also!

An easy $3.50 fix!

Big mistake!! You should have never used nail polish to fill that nick. As a result, in about 2 weeks you're gonna notice that the former nick, now filled in with with nail polish, will now start to grow longer. Because the wood is now gonna think it's a finger nail. You will have to make periodic trips to the local Vietnamese nail shop for them to do a filing and recoating. They will try to talk you into a pedicure to treat the "heal" of the guitar, as well as a facial on the "head" stock. Resist this temptation!!!

On a more serious note, I'm glad that it was such an easy fix for you. I think most people get really disproportionately upset with these little character creating dings that our guitars pick up along the way. Most can be repaired . . . alomost perfectly and undectable, with relatively little cost. I'm glad your enjoying your baby again.

#390 Burgundy Flirt

An easy $3.50 fix!

Yes,I did that on my Fender Jazz bass about 30 years ago.Some scenery on a stage fell on it & knocked it off it's stand.The guitar was red,but the air was blue with my cussing ! Seriously,until you mentioned it,I've not seen it since,and now I've noticed I picked the wrong colour !

Peter Alton Green

post-1702-1282488067_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1282488115_thumb.jpg

I've put two small dings on my Millenium that no one can see but me... and they drive me crazy.

Think I can find a a WM that specializes in Goth to match the black...?

Tony M

You will have to make periodic trips to the local Vietnamese nail shop........

Hahahahaha..... Talk about cornering a market. There are several of these shops in my town.

Guest HRB853370

My wife get a pedicure once a month at her local Asian Nail World, so I will just have her take the axe with her. Hmm, wonder what they charge for a Heritage....and bet they never saw one before either!!!

Archived