Heritage Owners Club

Strap Locks on a 555

crocane

I asked this question in the stap button placement thread but I didnt get a response and didnt want to hijack that thread.

Has anyone used a Schaller strap lock on a 535 or 555 style guitar where the strap button is on the back rather than the horn? I am concerned that the metal lock on the strap might rub on the wood finish.

Once you start using strap locks it is hard to go back to a normal strap button.

I asked this question in the stap button placement thread but I didnt get a response and didnt want to hijack that thread.

Has anyone used a Schaller strap lock on a 535 or 555 style guitar where the strap button is on the back rather than the horn? I am concerned that the metal lock on the strap might rub on the wood finish.

Once you start using strap locks it is hard to go back to a normal strap button.

I use Schallers on my ES-335. It works fine. I like the security and will never go back to plain old strap buttons, although it's easy to put the old ones back on.

Hmmm, thought I had posted a reply. Maybe not. In my opinion strap locks should be standard equipment on all guitars. Using Schaller strap locks, this is how I mount them for 555/535/Millie/Prospect (maybe others): mount the button on the guitar like normal in place of the standard button. I even use the original screw. On the "tail" of the strap, mount the lock as normal, i.e., facing the guitar. On the "neck" of the strap, mount the lock facing the opposite direction of the tail lock. That allows the strap to sit tighter against the guitar, and helps hold it closer. So far as marring the finish, even a bare strap is going to put some marks in the nitro where it rubs. Can't be helped. So yeah, you'll get some swirling. But nicks? Not so far here.

As far as "going back", not sure what you mean? Strap locks aren't a permanent replacement.

Guest mgoetting

I use Dunlops and Ernie Balls. No problems.

If you want you can put a piece of cloth or felt between metal and wood. Also, don't tighten the screw too much. It's not necessary.

Do get strap locks and do get straps without metal buckles on them. I mostly use Jodi Head straps, again the ones without buckles. Quality is okay and art is nice.

Do not drop your guitar!

I learned with my acoustic guitar the value of strap locks. The hole in the leather got enlarged over time, and it slipped off and put a nice little dent on the top of the head. No biggie, but I got strap locks right away. I put Schaller on the strap for the 535, it's pretty thick leather and the hardware does not come near the guitar. The thought of the 535 hitting the floor gives me the willies. Especially a tiled or concrete floor, yikes!

My H535 came with schaller locks installed, possibly at the factory. They did not have any felts though, so I put some on. I have strap locks on ALL of my guitars, except for the acoustic, which being acoustic electric has a jack in the rear strap button.

Strap locks are a way of protecting your investment. Not that I have guitars as a way of stashing money, but the cost of the strap locks and a good strap is far less than the cost of a neck repair.

Hmmm, thought I had posted a reply. Maybe not. In my opinion strap locks should be standard equipment on all guitars. Using Schaller strap locks, this is how I mount them for 555/535/Millie/Prospect (maybe others): mount the button on the guitar like normal in place of the standard button. I even use the original screw. On the "tail" of the strap, mount the lock as normal, i.e., facing the guitar. On the "neck" of the strap, mount the lock facing the opposite direction of the tail lock. That allows the strap to sit tighter against the guitar, and helps hold it closer. So far as marring the finish, even a bare strap is going to put some marks in the nitro where it rubs. Can't be helped. So yeah, you'll get some swirling. But nicks? Not so far here.

As far as "going back", not sure what you mean? Strap locks aren't a permanent replacement.

Rob you PM'd me about my 535..maybe that was what you were thinking about..but i'm a hillbilly.. B)

I've got straplocks on my H555, and no there are scratches whatsoever.

FWIW, I've had several Gibby SGs, with the strap button in the same position (behind the neck), and they've never had scratches, either. So, Straplock away!

I always use Schallers on 335 style guitars. You just need a felt washer to protect the surface.

If you buy the Fender branded Schallers they come with both black and white felt washers.

Yep, get some of those felt washers and the metal doesn't touch the finish.

100% Schaller strap locks on all my electrics!!!!

Thanks guys...I am going to pick some up this week and put them on. Thanks for the installation tips as well.....makes total sense to mount the "neck" lock on the opposite side of the strap for a strap button in that location.

....makes total sense to mount the "neck" lock on the opposite side of the strap for a strap button in that location.

I forgot to add that I do that too. It works out well.

The only issue I have had with guitars that have the strap button on the back of the guitar (Archtops, Firebirds, etc) instead of the horn is; adding any strap button will move the guitar away from your body. I use Schaller strap locks on all horn mounted buttons and end buttons. However, on back buttons, I use one strap lock on the end of the guitar and not the back. I also don't like the feel of how many guitars lean forward with a lock on the back and not with a strap. Try for yourself and see what you like best.

Rock n Roll forever,

Disco Never...

Archived