Heritage Owners Club

Heritage/Dealer Relationship?

schundog

Some of you may remember my tale of how I became to be introduced to Heritage through an older music store owner with a pistol under his shop apron, and barn cats in the place, to, I've actually witnessed, catch the field mice that have come into the shop once the corn in the fields immediately outside gets harvested. (No, Patrick, I am NOT making this up!! Come on out to visit me sometime out here in Central Illinois for a look at rural America! LOL). He's an interesting character, to say the least, and not just a little bit opinionated, I guess like the rest of us. He's in his early 70s, owns a business that he knows is dying, but he wouldn't know what to do with himself if he sold out/hung it up. He knew a much better time in the music business, especially the piano business, and regrets not selling a lot of his "vintage" stuff through the years, from player pianos to an antique cash register he "says" would have been worth $2000 just a few years ago. He's got an interesting theory, that everything has about a 40 year cycle, and then it drops off, because when we become more affluent adults, we buy things we are nostalgic for. Always wanted a 65 Strat, because you idolized it in your youth? That's why the vintage market is what it is, according to him, and, once the crop of kids today grow up, they will want what they wanted and couldn't have now, etc...

I brought my laptop in today and showed him some of my pictures from PSPIII. He seemed to enjoy the pics of the factory, and remembered Marv from the trade shows, the last one he'd been to being in 1989!! He's got 3 Heritages on his "good stuff" wall, a 150, a 575, and a 535, and they are all around 7,8 years old, but he's a stubborn old boy that would probably just get POed if I tried to lowball him, so I let him quote me his prices, and plead poverty.

Anyway, as I was getting ready to leave, he asks if I picked up a brochure from the factory, or a price sheet. I said yes on the brochure, no on the price sheet, and asked why he wanted to know. He chuckled, and said that he hadn't gotten a price sheet in 3 years, and part of the problem in dealing with Heritage was the incredibly long wait time on custom orders. I mentioned that I thought that that wouldn't be an issue these days, as business is slower for them, along with everyone else, so turn around time should be managable. Regarding the plant tour we got, he said "Man, if we, as a dealer, wanted to tour that place, we had to jump through all kinds of hoops." As I've stated, he's an opinioned, older proprietor of a dying music store, bought his last stock from the factory long ago, probably a little bitter, but it still kind of surprised me that he wouldn't be kept up to speed with at least a price sheet. One final comment he made made reference to how his former rep for Heritage, a great ambassador for them, according to him, ended up leaving because he wasn't recieving the commissions he was due. Please understand, this is ALL hearsay. It made me wonder, though, does Heritage have a positive relationship with most of it's dealers? Who handles the dealers?

Some of you may remember my tale of how I became to be introduced to Heritage through an older music store owner with a pistol under his shop apron, and barn cats in the place, to, I've actually witnessed, catch the field mice that have come into the shop once the corn in the fields immediately outside gets harvested. (No, Patrick, I am NOT making this up!! Come on out to visit me sometime out here in Central Illinois for a look at rural America! LOL). He's an interesting character, to say the least, and not just a little bit opinionated, I guess like the rest of us. He's in his early 70s, owns a business that he knows is dying, but he wouldn't know what to do with himself if he sold out/hung it up. He knew a much better time in the music business, especially the piano business, and regrets not selling a lot of his "vintage" stuff through the years, from player pianos to an antique cash register he "says" would have been worth $2000 just a few years ago. He's got an interesting theory, that everything has about a 40 year cycle, and then it drops off, because when we become more affluent adults, we buy things we are nostalgic for. Always wanted a 65 Strat, because you idolized it in your youth? That's why the vintage market is what it is, according to him, and, once the crop of kids today grow up, they will want what they wanted and couldn't have now, etc...

I brought my laptop in today and showed him some of my pictures from PSPIII. He seemed to enjoy the pics of the factory, and remembered Marv from the trade shows, the last one he'd been to being in 1989!! He's got 3 Heritages on his "good stuff" wall, a 150, a 575, and a 535, and they are all around 7,8 years old, but he's a stubborn old boy that would probably just get POed if I tried to lowball him, so I let him quote me his prices, and plead poverty.

Anyway, as I was getting ready to leave, he asks if I picked up a brochure from the factory, or a price sheet. I said yes on the brochure, no on the price sheet, and asked why he wanted to know. He chuckled, and said that he hadn't gotten a price sheet in 3 years, and part of the problem in dealing with Heritage was the incredibly long wait time on custom orders. I mentioned that I thought that that wouldn't be an issue these days, as business is slower for them, along with everyone else, so turn around time should be managable. Regarding the plant tour we got, he said "Man, if we, as a dealer, wanted to tour that place, we had to jump through all kinds of hoops." As I've stated, he's an opinioned, older proprietor of a dying music store, bought his last stock from the factory long ago, probably a little bitter, but it still kind of surprised me that he wouldn't be kept up to speed with at least a price sheet. One final comment he made made reference to how his former rep for Heritage, a great ambassador for them, according to him, ended up leaving because he wasn't recieving the commissions he was due. Please understand, this is ALL hearsay. It made me wonder, though, does Heritage have a positive relationship with most of it's dealers? Who handles the dealers?

A great post schundog. What your old friend has stated is not surprising to hear. But, remember, there are always 2 sides to every story. I believe that the part about ineffective and in some cases non existant dealer maintenance is in fact true and part of the problem with Heritage's business capabilities. Those boys are some of the best guitar makers in the world. We all agree on that. However, Their skills in that area don't necessarily mean that they are great business men. Remember;; when Gibson left that plant and Jim, Marv, JP, Bill . . . and the one other guy who sold his shares to the other 4 rather quickly . . . can't remember his name . . . took over that plant and created Heritage . . . they had no business accumen what so ever. They were craftsmen with a passion for guitar making.

A quick story that Jim Deurloo told me when I was at the plant a couple of months before PSPIII. I'll repeat it here because Jim indicated that it was no secret. He said that Gibson wanted to give him the building for free . . . and Jim said no thank you!! When I picked my jaw up from the floor, I asked him why in the hell would you say no? He said to me . . "I wouldn't know what the hell to do with it.. . . the cost of maintaining it frightened the hell out of me". In retrospect, it may or may not have been the right thing to do. But it is not what a real entrepreneur/business man would have done.

Regarding maintaining their dealer network, when I asked who does that the reply was . . . "well mostly Vince, but sometimes, I'll give a dealer or 2 a call also. Mostly, we just wait until they call in for something". Sound like a lack of structure and communicational efforts? For many years, they have built great instruments and just hoped everything else would just fall into place. I doesn't work that way. Regarding not paying their reps; I wonder if that was during the time when they weren't doing well financially and weren't paying anyone? Another quick story about Jim's willingness to pay reps. When I asked Jim why they weren't doing business with Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island NY any more Jim said to me . . . "Ya know, I just don't know. One day he just quit buying from us. We don't have a rep up there in NY so no one ever stopped in and ask Jay what happened". Now, mind you, Stan Jay the owner of Mandolin Brothers is about as influential in the guitar market, with world wid customers, as is George Gruhn. I was going to ask him . . . "well why the hell didn't you pick up the phone and ask him??" But I already knew the answer. I told him I was going to stop in on Stan to see what happened. Jim said to me . . . "hey, do you want to be our rep in the NY area??" A proposal I'm seriously considering.

When I visited Mandolin Brothers and started the conversation with Stan he said to me . . "Patrick, I speciall ordered 3 guitars for a customer in Europe. They were sent directly from the factory to my client. When he received them he called me anf told me they were no to his specs. I called the factory 3 times to seek resolution and they never even returned my call". I called Jim from Stan's office . . . got Jim to call Stan immediately. Jim sent him out a new dealer agreement. Stan sent it back with an order for 2 guitars. Now, their a dealer once again. That's all it took. Jim wanted to immediately cut me a check for the commission on the deal. I politely thanked him but refused.

Regarding 2 sides to every story, at a recent guitar show in Philadelphia, I stopped and chatted with the owner of a relatively large guitar store in the southern mid west. His name shall remain annonymous. He had a couple of Heritage Guirtars at his booth. I thanked him for being a dealer. Tpld him I was functioning as a "quasi" rep for Heritage. He said to me . . . "you tell Marv I'm pretty pissed at him. Everytime I call in to talk with him, he refuses to get on the phone" When I was at the plant for PSPIII I talked with Marv about it. He obviously knew the guy well. He shared with me the reason he was kind of avoiding the guy. I won't repeat what Marv told me, but . . . it was best that Marv didn't talk with him. So, 2 sides to everything.

Their a great bunch of guys . . . but they are sorely in need of additional business capabilities in the current business world

Schundog,

That was a wonderful story. My experience with them is that when you get someone on the phone, they're very helpful, or, they'll get back to you if they don't immediately have an answer. I spoke to Ren today because I was checking for the ETA of my guitar and he got back to me - I originally asked for Vince b/c my understanding is he is the one who puts things into the computer and keeps track of things. My question is, did the guy even call Heritage lately and simply ask for a price list - I bet he would have gotten it, for, they seem so helpful. Now, they won't be there on Fridays, and if there's an important national trade thing like a NAMM, you might not be able to get a hold of them, but just wait a few days and try again, and eventually, you'll succeed.

Schundog,

That was a wonderful story. My experience with them is that when you get someone on the phone, they're very helpful, or, they'll get back to you if they don't immediately have an answer. I spoke to Ren today because I was checking for the ETA of my guitar and he got back to me - I originally asked for Vince b/c my understanding is he is the one who puts things into the computer and keeps track of things. My question is, did the guy even call Heritage lately and simply ask for a price list - I bet he would have gotten it, for, they seem so helpful. Now, they won't be there on Fridays, and if there's an important national trade thing like a NAMM, you might not be able to get a hold of them, but just wait a few days and try again, and eventually, you'll succeed.

It doesn't work quite like that koula901. Unless the demand for your brand is so strong that people are screaming for it, (Gibson, Fender, PRS) if you sit back and wait for the customer to call you . . . then one of your competitors is gonna eat your lunch. I agree that the people at Heritage are more than willing to go the extra 9 yards to help anyone who calls in and needs help. Dealers don't want to have to call in for support of their efforts. They want the vendors to be proactive with them. Visit them, make sure that show them the latest products . . . . updates on improvements, discuss end user targeted marketing efforts . . . educate them on ordering procedures and special build request, etc.. Just general customer maintenance and communications.

Very interesting post, SD.

I don't know nuthin 'bought dealers, really, except that I sympathize with mine. I placed my custom order for my first Heritage, a 535, in late March, through a very reputable dealer. (BTW, when I say "custom," all I mean is a particular neck carve, on the beefy side. Nothing exotic.) Heritage told him 6-8 weeks. It's been 21, I think, and still no sign of it. (It's in the finishing room now, they say). Every so often, I'll ask my dealer what's up; he'll report back that there's been a delay, apparently having to do with the neck, no details. I'm always patient, because it's not his fault; he's a prince, is seemingly very loyal to Heritage, and never says a bad word about them. But if I was him - I'd be pissed. Here he's got this customer who was told 6-8 weeks, and it's been 3 times that; but Heritage is not doing much to support him - no progress reports volunteered, no real explanations, no predictions. Help me out here, I'd be screaming! Hey, I know stuff happens, this is just one guitar out of many, and a custom order is unpredictable, but you'd think the manufacturer'd be sensitive to the dealer's plight - he's the one with the potentially unhappy customer.

No wisdom in this post, just a rant. It's late at night, and I'd really like to get my guitar .... And I know it'll be great when I get it ... but I'm a little tired of this.

Very interesting post, SD.

I don't know nuthin 'bought dealers, really, except that I sympathize with mine. I placed my custom order for my first Heritage, a 535, in late March, through a very reputable dealer. (BTW, when I say "custom," all I mean is a particular neck carve, on the beefy side. Nothing exotic.) Heritage told him 6-8 weeks. It's been 21, I think, and still no sign of it. (It's in the finishing room now, they say). Every so often, I'll ask my dealer what's up; he'll report back that there's been a delay, apparently having to do with the neck, no details. I'm always patient, because it's not his fault; he's a prince, is seemingly very loyal to Heritage, and never says a bad word about them. But if I was him - I'd be pissed. Here he's got this customer who was told 6-8 weeks, and it's been 3 times that; but Heritage is not doing much to support him - no progress reports volunteered, no real explanations, no predictions. Help me out here, I'd be screaming! Hey, I know stuff happens, this is just one guitar out of many, and a custom order is unpredictable, but you'd think the manufacturer'd be sensitive to the dealer's plight - he's the one with the potentially unhappy customer.

No wisdom in this post, just a rant. It's late at night, and I'd really like to get my guitar .... And I know it'll be great when I get it ... but I'm a little tired of this.

jmc . . . . I would like to think that what you described as happening with your 535 is the exception to the rule. Unfortunately, I hear it to often to believe that it is an exception. Sometimes, things happen that will cause a lengthy delay. There have been cases where a guitar is near completion. . . then something goes terribly wrong . . . and they need to start all over again from the very beginning. However, it again goes back to communications and management. They should have kept your dealer informed of any unforseen delays that occured . . . then he would have answers for you. Unfortunately for you, that isn't the case. And you are 1000% correct. Dealers are tired of it too. They don't get their profits until after the guitar is delivered and paid for. It's a real deterent to a dealer's loyalty, if they too often have to live through things such as you describe. That needs to be fixed.

The problem is, there is a big divide between guitar building and customer loyalty building. One of the main disconnects that I see with Heritage is that it is not anyones job to do it. Therefore, it does not get done. The customer has to become as important to Heritage as the guitars are. They need someone as competent in building customer relationships and brand loyalty as they have in the guitar building department. There can be no demand for the best guitar in the world without the best customers in the world. They both need to be protected and nurtured. Heritage needs to be equally committed to both. This is an area where I believe we can help them if they are willing to allow us to care for them. I have proposed to Vince and the Crew, that they allow the HOC to help as I know we would all like to help if we can. I am awaiting there reply. If they are interested, I will reach out to the HOC for brainstorming and support, short and longterm. My question to Vince, Ren and Marv was; where do you see Heritage in 25 years? They did not have an answer.

All the best,

Mark

I can only speak about a now defunct San Diego shop that was briefly a Heritage dealer. Their biggest challenge, besides the fact there are still people out there that don't know the Heritage story, was the internet. They were a brick and mortar shop and so had to pay rent, utilities, salaries, insurance, etc. They would complain that Wolfe could sell guitars for less than they could buy them for (this was back before Jay had the store front). They would get calls, or people would come in and ask "Can you match Wolfe Guitars price?". Many times they couldn't. They had a top of the line jazz box (is that the Eagle?) that sold in the $5000 range. They ended making a whopping $50 on the sale. A business just can't survive with that narrow a profit margin. They ended up closing shop for that and other reasons.

When i was in line getting a burger outside the barn, I was still on cloud 9 after getting my h-535 factory direct, and I was telling everybody within earshot about it..It turns out, the guy right behind me is a local Heritage dealer, I don't know what his name was, but he swore he could make me a better deal than Vince and Jim did..I'm not sure that he really could beat their price..But it made me think..But I'm ecstatic with my 535 nonetheless.. :thumbsup:

Being selfish, I personally sort of like the fact that these guys are more concerned about making guitars than the business end of things. I dont know them like some of you do but maybe they like it the way it is and dont necessarilly want to turn into a huge factory or corporate machine.

Being selfish, I personally sort of like the fact that these guys are more concerned about making guitars than the business end of things. I dont know them like some of you do but maybe they like it the way it is and dont necessarilly want to turn into a huge factory or corporate machine.

i think you are EXACTLY right, but if they are going to survive, they will probably need some marketing skills..This club helps to keep them afloat, but we ain't gettin any younger, ya know what I mean?

JUST remember guys, there is TWO sides to every story.

I have heard of many instances where the dealer SWORE he ordered the guitar and never did, or forgot.

At the PRS web site many dealers told their customers they ordered a guitar and never did because they wanted to push their current inventory.

Just remember... two sides to every story!!!

AND why wouldn't any customer ordering a Heritage not just call the factory personally for an update on their order???? Heritage is more than happy to answer your questions. Call between 7:30-10:00am EST.

It doesn't work quite like that koula901. Unless the demand for your brand is so strong that people are screaming for it, (Gibson, Fender, PRS) if you sit back and wait for the customer to call you . . . then one of your competitors is gonna eat your lunch. I agree that the people at Heritage are more than willing to go the extra 9 yards to help anyone who calls in and needs help. Dealers don't want to have to call in for support of their efforts. They want the vendors to be proactive with them. Visit them, make sure that show them the latest products . . . . updates on improvements, discuss end user targeted marketing efforts . . . educate them on ordering procedures and special build request, etc.. Just general customer maintenance and communications.

I think you're absolutely correct here. And, I think that Heritage would have to add another 50% to their MSRPs to compensate all the reps all over the country (the world?) needed to do all you've mentioned. This intimate relationship with end dealers is something the final guitar owner would be paying for . . . the way Gibson & Fender & PRS owners pay for those companies' dealer relationships. We at the HOC know what fantastic guitars these guys build. Who here would say they're NOT worth more than what they sell for? But I just wonder what a massive increase in guitar price would do to demand? Would the hit from increased price be offset by the increased publicity & sales generated by a new rep program? Are we prepared to be paying a lot more for our new Heritages?

The problem is, there is a big divide between guitar building and customer loyalty building. One of the main disconnects that I see with Heritage is that it is not anyones job to do it. Therefore, it does not get done. The customer has to become as important to Heritage as the guitars are. They need someone as competent in building customer relationships and brand loyalty as they have in the guitar building department. There can be no demand for the best guitar in the world without the best customers in the world. They both need to be protected and nurtured. Heritage needs to be equally committed to both. This is an area where I believe we can help them if they are willing to allow us to care for them. I have proposed to Vince and the Crew, that they allow the HOC to help as I know we would all like to help if we can. I am awaiting there reply. If they are interested, I will reach out to the HOC for brainstorming and support, short and longterm. My question to Vince, Ren and Marv was; where do you see Heritage in 25 years? They did not have an answer.

All the best,

Mark

BAM!! I think you're close to nailing something that could potentially be revolutionary for Heritage here. In the internet age, all kinds of incredible things happen for free. With a customer base as massively loyal and incredibly passionate as we are, SOMEbody needs to figure out a better way to leverage US to bolster Heritage sales. If they were a massive corporate machine, this would turn my stomach. But that absolutely isn't the case. In fact, the very existence of the company could be dependent on us as ambassadors . . . sales reps. I would be interested in furthering this discussion on how the HOC could do more concrete things to get more people turned on to Heritage guitars.

why wouldn't any customer ordering a Heritage not just call the factory personally for an update on their order???? Heritage is more than happy to answer your questions. Call between 7:30-10:00am EST.

Well, you're right, and I honestly didn't think seriously of doing that (I lack imagination). But if I had, I think my view'd be, if you order through a dealer, then you should work through that dealer with questions, problems, etc., as long as you can. Anyway, I've left it in his hands. Also, I think I figured (maybe naively) that the dealer'd have more juice than a solitary buyer. Anyway - you make a good point!

My latest update (from the dealer) is that the guitar's still 2 weeks away from being shipped to him. Eventually - I'll get it!

I think you're absolutely correct here. And, I think that Heritage would have to add another 50% to their MSRPs to compensate all the reps all over the country (the world?) needed to do all you've mentioned. This intimate relationship with end dealers is something the final guitar owner would be paying for . . . the way Gibson & Fender & PRS owners pay for those companies' dealer relationships. We at the HOC know what fantastic guitars these guys build. Who here would say they're NOT worth more than what they sell for? But I just wonder what a massive increase in guitar price would do to demand? Would the hit from increased price be offset by the increased publicity & sales generated by a new rep program? Are we prepared to be paying a lot more for our new Heritages?

BAM!! I think you're close to nailing something that could potentially be revolutionary for Heritage here. In the internet age, all kinds of incredible things happen for free. With a customer base as massively loyal and incredibly passionate as we are, SOMEbody needs to figure out a better way to leverage US to bolster Heritage sales. If they were a massive corporate machine, this would turn my stomach. But that absolutely isn't the case. In fact, the very existence of the company could be dependent on us as ambassadors . . . sales reps. I would be interested in furthering this discussion on how the HOC could do more concrete things to get more people turned on to Heritage guitars.

Well, you're right, and I honestly didn't think seriously of doing that (I lack imagination). But if I had, I think my view'd be, if you order through a dealer, then you should work through that dealer with questions, problems, etc., as long as you can. Anyway, I've left it in his hands. Also, I think I figured (maybe naively) that the dealer'd have more juice than a solitary buyer. Anyway - you make a good point!

My latest update (from the dealer) is that the guitar's still 2 weeks away from being shipped to him. Eventually - I'll get it!

Well, the short answer is because the dealer doesn't care when it come in. There is no incentive for him. He has no up front money invested, he is only concerned in selling the inventory he has in stock.

I won't tell you which dealer I used to get a couple of my Heritages, but he said he ordered. I called Heritage four weeks later and the order wasn't placed. I called the dealer and asked about the order and they said something like they were busy and didn't call it in yet. I never let the dealer do any communication after that. I called Heritage every 4-6 weeks. I finally found out from Heritage when the guitar was done and paid the dealer and took possession of the guitar at Heritage.

I am not saying that what happened to me is happen to you, but it DOES happen.

Forgive my quoting someone else, and then not adding anything else to it above. I apparently lost about 10 minutes of typing somehow!!

Anyway, I'm not suggesting a huge hiring spree of sales reps; I suggest better, more frequent communication with dealers through email. I would start with an email to all current and past dealers with a nice cover letter highlighting Heritage's Past, Present and Future, along with any current product literature and price sheet in PDF form. If you don't have emails for ANY of the dealers, past or present, pick up the phone and ask for it! I would also see if Randy or any of the other videographers from past PSPs would give or sell their videos to Heritage to have as a give-away to dealers upon request. Ren's stories alone are enough to make you want to go out and order a couple guitars! If that video wasn't acceptable to Heritage for some reason, then video tape a tour of the place with a good amateur videographer, and post the YouTube links in the initial email to these dealers. I think they all bought in to why Heritage is so great, but they need to be reminded once in a while.

Also just thinking out loud, but what about a PSP type event for DEALERS only? I'm not suggesting the Henderson's part of a PSP, but an organized plant tour at 225 Parsons Street, followed by either a cookout/possible jam session at the property itself? Again, I'm sure there may be problems with this idea, but how cool would it be for our dealers to say they jammed up on the 3rd floor of the old Gibson Factory?!

I think custom orders should be discussed with buyer and builder. As long as you don't start changing horses in mid stream it should work out fine.

On August 9th at 9:00 central time I ordered Skydog52's sister firebird through his dealer. At noon that day I got a call from Marv. We went over all aspects of the build. Since then we have spoken 5 more times, only twice did I call him. (It may help that he has seen me at three PSPs, and that I am from his home town. I will chalk that up to sweat equity.) Every time I have met Marv he has come across to me as true as the compass pointing north. I enjoy his company.

I'm not only getting a guitar made, it is being made under the tutelage of one of America's best guitar builders. I trust Marv. It's his call.

I think custom orders should be discussed with buyer and builder. As long as you don't start changing horses in mid stream it should work out fine.

I'm not only getting a guitar made, it is being made under the tutelage of one of America's best guitar builders. I trust Marv. It's his call.

I know a guy with one of these - Lucky Bastage!

Sir Bird - you are about to be bestowed with one of the finest instruments on the face of the Earth. Your last two statements above guarantee it. Prepare yourself.

Chiming in just because I want my post count to increase. Others are catching me!! ;)

Gotta throw this thread in with all the other business model threads we see popUp. No disrespect intended towards the Schundog. Or any others that have offered opinions. But in truth, the boys are running the business like they like it. For discussion purposes, sure, we can toss around all sorts of ideas, stories and what not. Bottom line is, they'll do as they please.

Alright, so that brings my count up to ......... approx 1/2 of Brent's!! ;)

Well, the short answer is because the dealer doesn't care when it come in. There is no incentive for him. He has no up front money invested, he is only concerned in selling the inventory he has in stock.

I won't tell you which dealer I used to get a couple of my Heritages, but he said he ordered. I called Heritage four weeks later and the order wasn't placed. I called the dealer and asked about the order and they said something like they were busy and didn't call it in yet. I never let the dealer do any communication after that. I called Heritage every 4-6 weeks. I finally found out from Heritage when the guitar was done and paid the dealer and took possession of the guitar at Heritage.

I am not saying that what happened to me is happen to you, but it DOES happen.

I'm not suggesting that your dealer did this, but I know of dealers that will hold up special/custom orders to add to regular orders for discounts or free shipping.

Chiming in just because I want my post count to increase. Others are catching me!! :o

Gotta throw this thread in with all the other business model threads we see popUp. No disrespect intended towards the Schundog. Or any others that have offered opinions. But in truth, the boys are running the business like they like it. For discussion purposes, sure, we can toss around all sorts of ideas, stories and what not. Bottom line is, they'll do as they please.

Alright, so that brings my count up to ......... approx 1/2 of Brent's!! :blush:

No offense take, Tulk1; I realize that it is THEIR company to do with as they please, and I also realize I'm late to the party, so these kind of threads may have been beaten to death. As my original post stated, I was just curious about the health of the dealer/manufacturer relationship. Somehow, being a man, it morphed into an "I have the answer, I can fix it" type of thing. Sorry about that! Still, I think my suggestion could do some good, with little investment. Get a Western Michigan intern in to do the marketing I described, and you have practically nothing to lose.

No offense take, Tulk1; I realize that it is THEIR company to do with as they please, and I also realize I'm late to the party, so these kind of threads may have been beaten to death. As my original post stated, I was just curious about the health of the dealer/manufacturer relationship. Somehow, being a man, it morphed into an "I have the answer, I can fix it" type of thing. Sorry about that! Still, I think my suggestion could do some good, with little investment. Get a Western Michigan intern in to do the marketing I described, and you have practically nothing to lose.

Obviously, we all care and that is what this thread is about. In the end, The Company will decide for themselves what they want to do or not do. The thing that comes through is that many of the solutions don't need to cost much or anything at all. I don't know of any other company that has such a loyal following as Heritage, there must be a way to leverage that in to something positive. Some creative thinking would go a long way. When you have more time than money, spend your time!

Okay, so I love mom and pop stores more than any other kind, but doesn't make more sense for Heritage to just concentrate on Wolfe and Buffalo Bros and not worry about the little guys? Harsh, yes, it's reality.

Okay, so I love mom and pop stores more than any other kind, but doesn't make more sense for Heritage to just concentrate on Wolfe and Buffalo Bros and not worry about the little guys? Harsh, yes, it's reality.

drfie . . . it will come down to the "all your eggs in one basket" scenario. What does Heritage do if they lose Wolfe and/or Buffalo Bros? They NEED more dealers!!!!!

Archived