Heritage Owners Club

Tailpiece Swap

trevenarj

Happy to be here! I have recently purchased a 2013 H-550 from Reverb that is due to arrive tomorrow. By the photos, it has the Kluson #6 style tailpiece. I presume the hardware is nickel (?). Has anyone changed this tailpiece to the finger style? If so, will the installation screws be in the same location? I obviously don't want to drill new ones. Thanks in advance!

hmm.. interesting question.  Never seen a 550 with that trapeze tailpiece.  You'll have to first, share lots of gratuitous pictures of the aforementioned H550 then secondly, purchase the tailpiece you want, and lastly install it and let us know how it went.

Beautiful H550!!

I owned one and miss it.  The tone of these big hollowbody guitars is VERY close to more expensive solid wood archtops.  It also compares favorably to the much more expensive Tal Farlow model. 

As far as changing the tailpiece to a 6-finger model, you or a local guitar tech can take a look at the mounting screws on the bottom of the guitar.  See if any holes will be visible with your suggested change.  We can't tell from photos.  Good luck and enjoy your 550!

Archived