Heritage Owners Club

H140 Questions

pcovers

There is a new H140 on eBay that is being sold by a dealer. Pics are not great. Price is good as it but also has a "Make an Offer" option. Since when did they change the sharp cutaway to the 150 cutaway? Body looks a touch smaller all the way around the top. I assume it is also thinner?

Who can tell me why I should buy this instead of a similarly priced H150 with the same pickups?

i believe the sharp cutaway is the anniversary model; the smoother cutaway suggests it is older production. i love my 150; reason to get the 140 might be lighter weight. good luck.

The First Edition of the H-140 has a sharp cutaway , is thinner than a H-150 and was the first style of guitar made by Heritage.

Here is mine... gallery_1051_3_32491.jpg

The Second Edition of the H-140 is shaped very similar to the H-150, it is just thinner and has a dot neck usually.h140_v.jpg

They are now making a re-issue of the First Edition (in Silverburst only) in a limited run of 25 as an Anniversary Edition. h140_25th_v.jpg

The First Edition of the H-140 has a sharp cutaway , is thinner than a H-150 and was the first style of guitar made by Heritage.

so that's why the 140 got the nod for anniversary recognition . . . ain't the first time i've had my facts fuzzy B)

The Second Edition of the H-140 is shaped very similar to the H-150, it is just thinner and has a dot neck usually.h140_v.jpg

Good heavens, that is a handsome guitar!

Who can tell me why I should buy this instead of a similarly priced H150 with the same pickups?

That is a tough one....

My 140, a first edition, reminds me of kind of a Les Paul Special or a fairly dense SG ... but not exactly that either.

Mine has hot pickups and really rocks...it's a blast to play.

I could see someone preferring to jam on the 140 over the 150, but my 150's are still my favorite... oh and the 157...

My particular 140 has a chunky neck ... which is really cool with the thinner body .... feels great to play.

I thought peteraltongreen might come in here, he has one of the very early ones and it is fabulous to play, he has put seymour duncan 59's on it - I think he has. If it's a choice between a 140 and a 150, buy the one you like the most, if you can, get them both, maybe you could manage a 140 strapped on longer!

It's lighter in weight, it sounds very close to a 150, the thinner body style is more comfortable to play and usually can be had for hundreds less than a 150. Here's my custom ordered '88; mop block inlay, mop headstock logo, bound headstock and neck and a '59 neck profile.

Picture.jpg

Picture1001.jpg

Here's why!

gallery_987_181_432242.jpg

:D

The guitar will resonate more due to the lesser mass as well as it just being lighter. It is a different guitar than the 150. That is the best way to approach it. Think of it as riding the line between a 150 and an SG.

I have an '85 H-140 with a slight headstock "issue" :D I still love it though..sounds GREAT!!

I believe I remember this one? Was it the one who tried out for the diving team?

Yep..and did a belly flop..Oh well at least I can talk about it now without crying (too much).. :D

That red one's a beaut! Just curious, since a 140 is lighter than a 150 - do you notice difference in sustain?

Thanks, it has a really flamed top that doesn't show up in pics very well.

I don't notice any lack of sustain at all. But part of that equation is that it has hot ( old Super Distortion and PAF ) pickups and my amps have a lot of front end gain, so you can get sustain pretty easy. Some would claim that the chunky neck helps, but I think that has more to do with the "feel" of playing the instument really.

We've talked on here before that the lighter body creates, perhaps , a slightly higher resonance frequency. Maybe just a bit different tone that accents more of the mids than a heavier solidbody. Of course, effects and amp settings will compensate for however you'd want it to sound. But I'd expect any sustain difference to happen at the lowest notes, to some degree.

It's like the difference between playing a LP and a LP Special.. the lighter guitar may feel more "alive" in your hands, due to enhanced mid frequencies. With that said, sometimes it's very cool to play the lighter one, and other times you feel like rockin' on the classic LP combination.

.... IMO :rolleyes:

I thought peteraltongreen might come in here, he has one of the very early ones and it is fabulous to play, he has put seymour duncan 59's on it - I think he has. If it's a choice between a 140 and a 150, buy the one you like the most, if you can, get them both, maybe you could manage a 140 strapped on longer!

Hi Mark,

Well,here I am. The reason I wanted the H140 was it was the shape of the Gibson ES140, a 3/4 size take on the ES175.I'd worked out in my mind to approach Gibson,via Rosetti in the U.K. to make a 140 T body with the 335 centre block with stop bar,marry it to a 24 3/4" scale,2 H/bucks,parallelogram inlays on the fingerboard & L5 flowerpot headstock.In the early '80's it was still going to cost a mint.Then I thought,what if some idiot at a gig damages it.Where am I going to play this guitar ? As luck would have it,in 1986,I wandered into my local guitar shop,and I saw the answer.The Heritage H140CM.It really was love at first sight.I'd never seen a Heritage guitar before.Yes,sure it was a premium made guitar that cost lots,but not as much as a custom Gibson job.It was mine within minutes.The love affair was on ! It still takes my breath away.And yes,I had Seymour '59's fitted along with a standard stop bar that improved the sustain.

Peter Alton Green

post-1702-1283290332_thumb.jpg

Archived