Heritage Owners Club

Tarnished Plating on 2006 H150

Stickman

I purchased a 2006 H150 new about a year ago. Yes, he had the guitar new in his shop since 2006 (Is this odd?) When I opened the case a few weeks ago, I was horrified to find that the plating (pick-up covers, tuners, etc...) had a mist-like appearance to them. It looks almost like if you were to breathe on a plated part, only the haze will not wipe off. I had not played the guitar for a couple weeks, but always always always wipe my guitars down before I put them away. I would be surprised if this is a is a humidity issue since the guitar and case are stored in an air conditioned apartment. There were no other signs of moisture. Also, my 2006 Epiphone Les Paul is stored right next to my H150, and the plating on that guitar remains perfect.

Does anyone know of any plating issues with this vintage of Heritage guitars, or why this may have happened? I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to remove this tarnish as well. Thanks for any input.

Guest HRB853370

My 2005 H 150 that I picked up last month, was in perfect shape with the exception of some tarnishing on the Seymour Duncan pickup covers, and the grove tuning keys, which are nickel plated, were a little dull also. I was able to get most of the tarnish off the pickup covers and tuners by using Never Dull wadding, which is a treated wadding specially designed for plated surfaces. Just be careful not to rub any on the guitar's finish.

Patina is a wonderful thing. Let's talk in another 25 yes and decide which looks better: polished buckle, or polished buckle with chipped clearcoat B)

Wow, Fred! Those have really dulled. Personally, I like a little shine on mine.

BTW, what happened to the serial #?

I noticed they were like that when I got the guitar and I like it... it's cool because the rest of the guitar is in such good shape also.

The missing serial number was a shocker when I got it... but it turns out the number is on the label in the control cavity.

It's kind of a cool look to see one that's blank on the back of the headstock.... it catches your attention.

Guest mgoetting
I noticed they were like that when I got the guitar and I like it... it's cool because the rest of the guitar is in such good shape also.

The missing serial number was a shocker when I got it... but it turns out the number is on the label in the control cavity.

It's kind of a cool look to see one that's blank on the back of the headstock.... it catches your attention.

How come there's no serial number? Do you think someone ordered it that way?

How come there's no serial number? Do you think someone ordered it that way?

No, I believe that Heritage , for a short period , moved it to the label... but then changed back.

I've heard that others have this, but I really can't remember seeing one....

Anybody else have a plain (no serial number) headstock...?

This one is from '89 . I'd assume any others would be from that year.....

Archived