Heritage Owners Club

tone question

big bob

What tone/performer do you equate the vox ac 30 to. ie Vanhalen = peavy 5150, Jimmy Page = Marshall plexi

?= Vox AC30

Beatles, maybe? Brian May definitely. Altho' I get some great country tones out of mine.

If the vox is a el84 12ax7 amp, would it sound similar to the marshall dsl 401 which is also a el84, 12ax7 amp?

I found a nice ac 30 clone head and cab at a great price.

The circuits are completly different. Just because some amps use the same tube line up doesn't mean they will sound the same or even similar.

Early Beatles, early Kinks (Dave sold his AC30 on ebay a few years back), Brian May, Tom Petty, Justin Hayward (Justin used both AC30s and Marshalls), Rory Gallagher, The Edge, Peter Buck, many of the British invasion bands used AC30s at one point or another.

When I think AC30 I always think Brian May, although his tone was so unique that I'm sure it's not typical AC30 . . .

Yeah, I thought I read that Brian May's guitar was made out of oak, of all things!

Brian May's guitar is only part of the unique sound. But, that's part of a whole new can of worms.

The AC30 is a different beast than a lot of other amps. I believe that the tubes are biased very hot with a lot less negative feedback. They are NOT class A, as some seem to think. They also I think are cathode biased? Either way they really don't sound like anything else, especially when they have a air of AlNiCo blue speakers in them.

The Beatles were famous for using the AC-30, also Tom Petty and REM..Any of those jangly bands..The Byrds too, I think..

thanks guys.. I have a dsl. 401 and while I love the sound I don't want to repete it , I'm looking for a new sound.. I'm thinking I will go test drive one..

Some of the new ones I have seen on ebay boast of having point to point wiring...a big plus in my book. Think that they're anneversary models. They are biased hot. And no, I don't think that they will sound like a Marshall.

Some of the new ones I have seen on ebay boast of having point to point wiring...a big plus in my book. Think that they're anneversary models. They are biased hot. And no, I don't think that they will sound like a Marshall.

I know i'm in the minority when i say this but I have never played a Marshall that I bonded with..Maybe i just haven't played through the right one, but give me a miked up way overdriven small tube amp anyday!! Thats why I love that classic 30 so much..and maybe just maybe next year I'll be able to get a Juke Coda..I'm GASSING bad for one of those..Oh that reminds me, gotta get to the plasma center.. :D

I know i'm in the minority when i say this but I have never played a Marshall that I bonded with..
You either, huh? I tried and tried to want one. Nope. I played a DSL50 for weeks and I couldn't make up my mind. Played that AC50 for 30 minutes and I was talking turkey with the dealer.

I have never played a Marshall that I bonded with..

Same with me, and I've played more than a few. I recently repaired/re-tubed a '78 JMP? 50 watt combo in rare fawn tolex. While it sounded good it's just not the sound I would be going for. I like starting with a clean platform and adding a pedal for overdrive. The reissue bluesbreaker was about the best sounding Marshall I've played (2X12's, 45 watts in and open back cabinet) and I would still pick a Fender Pro Reverb over it any day.

Same with me, and I've played more than a few. I recently repaired/re-tubed a '78 JMP? 50 watt combo in rare fawn tolex. While it sounded good it's just not the sound I would be going for. I like starting with a clean platform and adding a pedal for overdrive. The reissue bluesbreaker was about the best sounding Marshall I've played (2X12's, 45 watts in and open back cabinet) and I would still pick a Fender Pro Reverb over it any day.

Maybe try a more accurate iteration of the JTM45?

I never thought I'd be a Marshall guy until I heard those lovely JTM45 cleans.....wow!

It's on the list..... :o

You either, huh? I tried and tried to want one. Nope. I played a DSL50 for weeks and I couldn't make up my mind. Played that AC50 for 30 minutes and I was talking turkey with the dealer.

Dsl 50 and dsl 40 have a different circuit, and use different tubes. dsl 401 or 40 has el 84's. The dls 50 has el 34's

Archived