Heritage Owners Club

H535 vs H555

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

The Heritage website has inconsistencies the way they list the specs on their models. For example, if you click on the link for the 535 and then the 555, you can't seem to compare "apples to apples".

Can somebody briefly educate me on the technical differences between the 535 and 555, notwithstanding the binding and gold hardware on the 555. I am sure there must be other minute differences.

555 has ebony fingerboard, 535 has rosewood.

555 has fancy fingerboard inlays, the 535 has dots.

555 used to have a maple neck (I think they might have switched to mahogany), 535 has a mahogany neck.

The 555 usually has a little bit nicer woods - but this is so subjective and I've seen super flamed 335s and some pretty plain jane 555s.

That's about it other than the gold plated parts and binding.

555 = Gold hardware. 555 inlays, bound headstock & F holes, ebony fretboard, and NOW a mahogany neck (used to be Maple neck)

535 = Chrome/nickel hardware, dot inlays, rosewood fretboard, mahogany neck

Tonally, the 555 is snappier & brighter, more articulate. 535 is warmer & smoother.

OR YOU CAN HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CUSTOM 555 with Mahogany neck & Rosewood fretboard!!!!

_DSC1911-Edit2.jpg

The one I just picked up is a 2004, how would I know if it has a maple neck or a mahogany neck?

I assume you meant you just picked up a 2004 555 (not 2004 535)..... anyhow it should have a maple neck. I think they started using mahogany necks in late 2008 to 2009.

555 = Gold hardware. 555 inlays, bound headstock & F holes, ebony fretboard, and NOW a mahogany neck (used to be Maple neck)

Tonally, the 555 is snappier & brighter, more articulate. 535 is warmer & smoother.

_DSC1911-Edit2.jpg

And here all this time I thought your 535 w/ P90s was the best looking guitar in your profile; Yowza, Me Likey that 555!

_DSC1911-Edit2.jpg

Kuz: Don't forget there are custom builds that will include some "cross pollen-ization" I have a beautiful H535 with a bound headstock . . . and a gorgeous 555 with nickel and chrome hardware.

Kuz: Don't forget there are custom builds that will include some "cross pollen-ization" I have a beautiful H535 with a bound headstock . . . and a gorgeous 555 with nickel and chrome hardware.

Well, yea... mine is a cross pollen too.

555 inlays. mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, chrome/nickel hardware, and 1 3/4" neck width.

_DSC1911-Edit2.jpg

I'm allergic to pollen and would never cross it. However, I do have a 535 with some nice flame and block in-lays, mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard. It seems to be the right combination for the desired flexibility. I love the looks of a 555, but prefer the sound of the 535, not too anything, it's just right. I not sure the ebony fingerboard on the 555 do it any favors. However, they are all good. So much personal preference. I guess that is why they make them all. So we can debate, buy and try them all. Blond or Brunette, whats your taste?

post-2180-1285339612_thumb.jpg

I'm allergic to pollen and would never cross it. However, I do have a 535 with some nice flame and block in-lays, mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard. It seems to be the right combination for the desired flexibility. I love the looks of a 555, but prefer the sound of the 535, not too anything, it's just right. I not sure the ebony fingerboard on the 555 do it any favors. However, they are all good. So much personal preference. I guess that is why they make them all. So we can debate, buy and try them all. Blond or Brunette, whats your taste?

That's a real pretty H535 you've got. I love the block inlays. I know I'm gonna run afoul of some with this comment .. . so I offer my apologies in advance . . . but for my personal taste . . . I really don't like the look of dot neck inlays on anything but a Strat. Again . . . personal. I have 2 H535s with dot boards . . . and I "tolorate" them because everything else is so perfect. Also, because I'm a die hard traditionalist and they have that '58, '59, '60 & '61 Gibson ES 335 "dot neck" vibe. I had a 1959 tobacco sunburst long guarg dot neck that I bought for $4,000 from Buck Sulcer, Guitar Network, Fredricksburg MD back in 1987. Sold it in 1991 for $10,000. Wish I held onto that one!!! But, when I bought a Gibson Historic Reissue ES 335 . . . it was the '63 with the block inlays. One of the best guitars I own!! If I was to have a custom made 535, it would look pretty much like yours . . . with the block inlays. Jay Wolfe's got it right. He orders them in to stock that way.

As for the ebony board vs the rosewood. In my opinion, my 555 is more for that jazz or fusion tone. It's definitely not my go to guitar for that Larry Carlton or Lee Ritenour sound.

That's a real pretty H535 you've got. I love the block inlays. I know I'm gonna run afoul of some with this comment .. . so I offer my apologies in advance . . . but for my personal taste . . . I really don't like the look of dot neck inlays on anything but a Strat. Again . . . personal. I have 2 H535s with dot boards . . . and I "tolorate" them because everything else is so perfect. Also, because I'm a die hard traditionalist and they have that '58, '59, '60 & '61 Gibson ES 335 "dot neck" vibe. I had a 1959 tobacco sunburst long guarg dot neck that I bought for $4,000 from Buck Sulcer, Guitar Network, Fredricksburg MD back in 1987. Sold it in 1991 for $10,000. Wish I held onto that one!!! But, when I bought a Gibson Historic Reissue ES 335 . . . it was the '63 with the block inlays. One of the best guitars I own!! If I was to have a custom made 535, it would look pretty much like yours . . . with the block inlays. Jay Wolfe's got it right. He orders them in to stock that way.

As for the ebony board vs the rosewood. In my opinion, my 555 is more for that jazz or fusion tone. It's definitely not my go to guitar for that Larry Carlton or Lee Ritenour sound.

Wow, thank you for the complements on my guitar and what great names, Larry Carlton or Lee Ritenour. I love both of those guys. They can't be wrong. However, I think they would sound just as good on a Danelectro. Some people play all they know in a solo, some tell a story and take you on a journey. Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour take you on an adventure that makes sense and you can follow. Like a colorful dream. I think most musicians play in black & white, like the notes on a page and are happy to get the right notes, Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour play in color.

Play on

Guest mgoetting

I swear some of you guys have better hearing than a dog.

There are two issues related to tone here. First, is there a consistent difference between the 535 and 555? I am not sure the model difference is much larger than the individual instrument differences. Second, how important are those differences? For some they are very important. For me, not so much. I'm still trying to pluck the right strings.

I'm interested in these discussions in the same way it is engaging to listen to subatomic physicists or Viking scholars talk shop. Most of it is over my head.

There are two issues related to tone here. First, is there a consistent difference between the 535 and 555? I am not sure the model difference is much larger than the individual instrument differences. Second, how important are those differences? For some they are very important. For me, not so much. I'm still trying to pluck the right strings.

I'm interested in these discussions in the same way it is engaging to listen to subatomic physicists or Viking scholars talk shop. Most of it is over my head.

Well, I can only say that myself and two other HOC members are VERY emphatic in saying that the ebony/maple neck combo wasn't the tone they were looking for (too snappy and bright) and we are all happy with the Rosewood/Mahogany configuration.

You asked for opinions on the difference in tones between the two models.... asked if there is a generalized tonal difference between the two..... and then you are critical of our answers saying that our hearing is better than dogs.

My Momma always said "Be cautious of the question if you don't want to hear the answers!"

Call Ren and see if he doesn't confirm this 555 vs 535 generalization.

Maybe I just don't understand your question.....

Well, I can only say that myself and two other HOC members are VERY emphatic in saying that the ebony/maple neck combo wasn't the tone they were looking for (too snappy and bright) and we are all happy with the Rosewood/Mahogany configuration.

You asked for opinions on the difference in tones between the two models.... asked if there is a generalized tonal difference between the two..... and then you are critical of our answers saying that our hearing is better than dogs.

My Momma always said "Be cautious of the question if you don't want to hear the answers!"

Hearing better than a dog is pretty good. Dont think there was any negative connotations attached to any thing said. I think you miss understood where mgoetting was coming from.....or I did.

Hearing better than a dog is pretty good. Dont think there was any negative connotations attached to any thing said. I think you miss understood where mgoetting was coming from.....or I did.

You might be right, I appologize if I took it the wrong way.

All I can think about was the Youtube video with the line... "you could play that gig with a Peavey Bandit and nobody would know the difference."

Now... back to playing my 535 (with rosewood fingerboard) and my Milli (with ebony fretboard). Alas... my playing sounds like crap on either one. :rolleyes:

Guest HRB853370
All I can think about was the Youtube video with the line... "you could play that gig with a Peavey Bandit and nobody would know the difference."

Now... back to playing my 535 (with rosewood fingerboard) and my Milli (with ebony fretboard). Alas... my playing sounds like crap on either one. :rolleyes:

Don't knock the Peavey Bandit, its a workhorse and I have two of them! Not my preferred go to for tone, but hey, it saves on tubes when practicing nonsensical stuff like I do all the time. I also keep one plugged in and ready for anybody that shows up to my basement door to play!

And, I didn't see the "hearing better than a dog" comment as a negative comment. I think what he meant was, people hear better than he does! I have not formed an opinion yet on my new 555 maple neck/ebony board combo, but I think folks get too hung up on the little things, thinking they really make a difference in the tone. Now a maple slab board versus a rosewood board, well lies a difference in tone.

Don't knock the Peavey Bandit, its a workhorse and I have two of them! Not my preferred go to for tone, but hey, it saves on tubes when practicing nonsensical stuff like I do all the time. I also keep one plugged in and ready for anybody that shows up to my basement door to play!

And, I didn't see the "hearing better than a dog" comment as a negative comment. I think what he meant was, people hear better than he does! I have not formed an opinion yet on my new 555 maple neck/ebony board combo, but I think folks get too hung up on the little things, thinking they really make a difference in the tone. Now a maple slab board versus a rosewood board, well lies a difference in tone.

Do you think they chose those woods based on color or looks? The choices are based on tone. The binding, paint and hardware color is for looks. It makes a difference. Otherwise, they would just stain the rosewood black if there was no difference. Ebony is much denser wood and has different (typically, darker sounding) tonal characteristics than maple or rosewood. And if it is joined to mahogany vs maple, there will be another difference because maple is brighter sounding than mahogany as well as laminated necks. Thats just the neck, bodies are all over the place with Ash, Korina, Maple, Mahogany and a ton of others. The quest for tone starts with understanding what you have and what you can do with it. Then the tone can evolve with understanding how outboard devices (cables, amps, pedals, etc) will affect the sound. The best tone starts with the best guitars and amps, like Heritage guitars and the myriad of great amps. The thing is, its not about who is right or wrong about tone, its about what you like.

Play on...

Guest mgoetting

Hey, Kuz. First, I didn't start this thread or ask a question. Second, I wish I had your refined hearing.

I'm progressing though. I did an A/B on two Sweet 16s, one with high end flatwounds and the other with GHS round wounds. Pretty obvious difference (duh). But the breakthrough is the flats sound good. Darker, murkier but still rich.

I have a long way to go before tone subtleties will make much difference in my playing.

Comparing your hearing to a dog's is respectful, my friend. :blob6:

Wow, thank you for the complements on my guitar and what great names, Larry Carlton or Lee Ritenour. I love both of those guys. They can't be wrong. However, I think they would sound just as good on a Danelectro. Some people play all they know in a solo, some tell a story and take you on a journey. Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour take you on an adventure that makes sense and you can follow. Like a colorful dream. I think most musicians play in black & white, like the notes on a page and are happy to get the right notes, Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour play in color.

Play on

Well said. I'm sure that you have the album "Larry and Lee" It speaks to confirm everything you say in this post. If it was vinyl, I would have worn the grooves off of it by now. If you have the time, and are so inclined, go onto You Tube and pull up Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour doing Larry's tune "Room 335". . . . . then look for them doing Wes Montgomery's "4 on 6". What performances!! and to see that in a live setting is fantastic. In the Wes tune . . . it's apparent that neither of them are Wes Montgomery . . . but then again . . . who is??? However, Lee seems to be much more comfortable in the straight ahead jazz setting. Larry has so much musicality, talent, knowledge of theory and harmony . . . I would love to see devote more time on growing his bebop chops. Larry is without a doubt my favorite player and bebob is my favorite style of music. I would love it it they both fit together better than they do now. It seems like I've said this before somewhere on here in the past??? Oh well . . . that's just me being me.

Well said. I'm sure that you have the album "Larry and Lee" It speaks to confirm everything you say in this post. If it was vinyl, I would have worn the grooves off of it by now. If you have the time, and are so inclined, go onto You Tube and pull up Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour doing Larry's tune "Room 335". . . . . then look for them doing Wes Montgomery's "4 on 6". What performances!! and to see that in a live setting is fantastic. In the Wes tune . . . it's apparent that neither of them are Wes Montgomery . . . but then again . . . who is??? However, Lee seems to be much more comfortable in the straight ahead jazz setting. Larry has so much musicality, talent, knowledge of theory and harmony . . . I would love to see devote more time on growing his bebop chops. Larry is without a doubt my favorite player and bebob is my favorite style of music. I would love it it they both fit together better than they do now. It seems like I've said this before somewhere on here in the past??? Oh well . . . that's just me being me.

I'm not familiar with that disc. I will order it today. Thanks for the info. Knowing both of their work, I'm sure I will enjoy it.

+100

Play on

Nice description Man!!..I'm one of those black and white players..But I'm trying to get a little "Color" in there from time to time.. ;)

Nice description Man!!..I'm one of those black and white players..But I'm trying to get a little "Color" in there from time to time.. ;)

You are in the majority. I'm lucky to play guitar in black & white. On drums, I play in color and understand it, respect it as it is highly uncommon even among those who are aware of and try to reach the crest of the guitar world. It is a worthy but lofty goal. Those at the top don't "play" the guitar, they are able to think/feel and express themselves through the instrument with emotion, as an extension of themselves. Jaco Pastorius said he used to make love to his bass when he played it. The music is in all of our instruments, our journey is to coax it out. Music, it is truly a love affair. For some, a love/hate relationship. But in the end, for those who refuse to give up, a rewarding one.

Archived