Heritage Owners Club

What kind of Hertiage am I playing?

Genericmusic

Greetings,

I am new to this whole HOC thing. I recently picked up this used Heritage Eagle at a local ma & pa music store. It is all mahogany and has Grover tuners with a floating Benedetto pick up. I have been playing an ES335 for years and the second I put this guitar in my hands I knew it was special. This is an excellent players guitar. I am totally impressed with the quality of the workmanship. The action is great and the tone is impeccable. I now play it about 75% of the time. I am not a collector. I am a guitar player and have been for almost 45 years. I play standards and jazz versions of pop songs in a lounge for the happy hour and dinner crowds. I have no interest in selling or trading it. It has been the talk of the pub since buying it. However, I have developed a personal relationship with it and would like to know something about it. Hand written on the label on the inside is Eagle Natural. The serial number on the back of the head stock is 009201. My question is what am I playing other than a great guitar? How old is it for one thing? Can anybody help me out with some or any information about it? I have been looking all over the net and haven't been able to find another like it for comparison.

post-2247-1286244387_thumb.jpg

post-2247-1286241429_thumb.jpg

Genericmusic,

First of all welcome to the HOC.

When you get into the HOC, click on Heritage Guitars forum, then look at the top of the page and click on Decoding Heritage Serial Numbers (or words to that effect).

Hi GM - welcome to our world! You can't get this many folks to rant and rave about guitars without there being some substance behind it all. Fortunately you have discovered the secret; Heritage.

The guitar you describe is a '98 Eagle mahogany. Built by the finest hands in the US. I'd like to tell you it's a rare one but the fact is, look for the "H" on the headstock and be prepared to play a fine musical instrument.

Yours is the only mahogany top Eagle I've seen and I bet has some unique characteristics. Enjoy!

The second shot looks a lot like maple to my eyes. But I could be wrong, again !

Hi and a big welcome, you sound like a proper player who buys a guitar to do a job... not that others here who DO collect are not of course! This a real friendly place, I hope we hear from you regularly.

I agree with Paul here, that grain is maple, mahogany is a close grain, usually seen on the back of les Paul's (for new Heritage owners of course) on the back of necks and body's. If you were to see a plain top les paul, ( I am sure you've seen loads of them) the grain would be just the same as yours. Which is, by the way, a very nice guitar.

Hmmmm - just had another look, the picture is not very clear and it could very well be mahogany, you do get grain like that on mahogany- gives us something to speculate and chat about though! And of course, with Heritage's propensity for individuality, there's no reason why it shouldn't be.

Looking at those photos, the only thing I'm sure of, is that this is a very interesting guitar and I wish we had more and better pictures . . . and I'll have none of your comments about my own poor camara/computer skills .. . thank you very much ;) Even with the blurry quality of the photos . . I find the most interesting and appealing thing about this guitar to be its minimalist appearance. No frills, no bling, nothing to drool about. . . . . . just pure vibe and mojo. I wish we could see more of the back, rims and better shots of the top. I really like it!! Some guitars talk to you before you even hold them in your hands. This one says. . . "just pick me up and play me . . . and shut up about it!!"

Your signature says you're from Grand Rapids. Hell . . . . you're just a very short drive to Kalamazoo where this guitar was made. If you have the time . . . and are so inclined . . . put it in your car and take it to Kzoo. They'll tell you all you want to know about it . . . . probably even tweak it up for you if it needs it. They are there from 7:30 AM to 3:00 PM Monday thru Thursday

Thank you for all for the warm reception and compliments. I'll try to answer all your questions in no specific order. It is a no frills guitar. It has a nice warm tone. I play it with no effects through a Roland Cube 60 which I specifically bought for the guitar. I do plan on taking it down to Kalamazoo in the not too distant near future to have the Heritage team check it out. I did contemplate for a long time as to whether or not the top is mahogany. After looking at the tight grain near the edges and center of the top I decided it was in fact mahogany. Of course I could be wrong and a trip to Kalamazoo will confirm or deny my claim. I am pretty sure it is mahogany though. Oh...hang on... I just put a dental mirror down the "f" hole and looked at the top from the back. I still think it is mahogany. I'm not sure if any clearer pictures will show the grain definition any better but I will try to post some new photos when I can scrounge up a tripod. Bottom line is I really like this guitar. It doesn't matter if the top is mahogany or maple, if it has a lot of bling or is a plain jane, it suits me and the music I play and that my friends is what it is all about. Thanks for the nice reception to HOC. I'll be in contact again.

Archived