Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Prospect: Range, Feedback, and Reviews

Halowords

O.k., so I read some of the threads on the Prospect. I sort of inquired in another thread, but it was kind of buried and incomplete, hence this thread. On to the guitar . . .

It sounds like the Prospect is basically a smaller H-535 style guitar with a floating center block that is more comfortable/playable and more open/hollow sounding. The downside being that it can feedback a bit more/easier. I had a few specific questions:

1) How hard to you have to push it to get it to feedback, and how controllable is it? For those of you who've put sponge (or whatever) in the guitar to control/eliminate feedback, how hard is it to get it in there?

2) How is it acoustically/unplugged? Just wondering for practicing and noodling around when the wife & kid(s) are asleep.

3) What do you lose, if anything, in the Prospect that you would get in a 535? Just wondering what the 535 can do that the Prospect can't (or vice versa).

If there are any other notable fun facts about it, or any clips (any kind, although I'd love to hear it overdriven and broken up a bit, or alongside an H-535 just to hear the differences) I'm all ears. It's one of those where it has gone from a consideration to one that I'm thinking I might like to have regardless at some point down the road regardless of whether it's my next guitar or not.

-Cheers

It sounds like the Prospect is basically a smaller H-535 style guitar with a floating center block that is more comfortable/playable and more open/hollow sounding. The downside being that it can feedback a bit more/easier. I had a few specific questions:

Yes but you can get one with a regular center block.

1) How hard to you have to push it to get it to feedback, and how controllable is it? For those of you who've put sponge (or whatever) in the guitar to control/eliminate feedback, how hard is it to get it in there?

Same as a semi, don't point the F holes at the speaker. Mine is not sponge worthy.

2) How is it acoustically/unplugged? Just wondering for practicing and noodling around when the wife & kid(s) are asleep.

A little louder than a 150 solid unplugged.

3) What do you lose, if anything, in the Prospect that you would get in a 535? Just wondering what the 535 can do that the Prospect can't (or vice versa).

About an inch. Seriously, with the floating block, P90s and stoptail I would say a cross between a 530 (better sustain with the block and stud tailpiece) and 535P90 a little larger than a Millie not as big as a 535.

If there are any other notable fun facts about it, or any clips (any kind, although I'd love to hear it overdriven and broken up a bit, or alongside an H-535 just to hear the differences) I'm all ears. It's one of those where it has gone from a consideration to one that I'm thinking I might like to have regardless at some point down the road regardless of whether it's my next guitar or not.

Not so much fun but it has a lower price than a 535. 100_0477

-Cheers

Ha!! Was typing and proofing this as the Professor was calling me out. Here's what I think:

O.k., so I read some of the threads on the Prospect. I sort of inquired in another thread, but it was kind of buried and incomplete, hence this thread. On to the guitar . . .

It sounds like the Prospect is basically a smaller H-535 style guitar with a floating center block that is more comfortable/playable and more open/hollow sounding. The downside being that it can feedback a bit more/easier.

I have both and gig both the 535 and a Prospect. Albeit they are set up differently - the 535 has HRWs and coil taps; the Prospect has PhatCats. Both give me great country and rock tones. The 535, un-sponged (hehe), is def less prone to feedback. Both of my Prospects had a tendency to fb when pointed at the amps. Sometimes just having the OD/Dist on without muting the strings would cause some fb. I'd say for me, the Prospect is def more comfortable, probably due to the slightly smaller body size. I've had a Millie arch top/back and I have a Millie DC. The Prospect is slightly larger than the Millies. And nothing like them is response, sounds, etc.

I had a few specific questions:

I'm the guy that suggested the sponge. Works great! Wasn't hard at all to get under the block. I cut a sliver, used a long pointy tool to shove it under the block. In retrospect, I'd have ordered it with the solid block like the 535.

It's just as acoustic as any other semi-hollow would be. Slim body, so you don't really get an acoustic guitar tone. Then again, I noodle around on the Legacy unplugged and think it sounds fine. :)

Hmmmm. Not sure you loose anything. Both are semi's, give you that great bit of woodiness to the tone, can do whatever music you throw at it. I'd think it'd be more how you have it set up, ala pickups, etc. Rather than the guitars, themselves.

-Cheers

No fun facts, other than I think they look pretty cool. They "push air" just like all good semi's should do. The back vibrates in that way that only great semi's can do, coincidentally, about the same time they are "pushing air". :icon_thumright:

Most pictures seem to accentuate the "mickey mouse" ears, but they aren't like that in person. I was at my local MnP today and noticed two 535s on the wall. I asked when they'd gotten another 535, then Ooops, that second one was a Prospect (angle, point of view, etc). My Prospect is just a tad bit lighter than the 535 (obviously); the smaller body is easier to handle on stage, where I find the 535 to be almost too "wide", takes up a lot of front of body real estate :biggrin_mini:Of course, these are just my observations and opinions. But, that is what you asked for, isn't it?

Ha!! Was typing and proofing this as the Professor was calling me out. Here's what I think:

I have both and gig both the 535 and a Prospect. Albeit they are set up differently - the 535 has HRWs and coil taps; the Prospect has PhatCats. Both give me great country and rock tones. The 535, un-sponged (hehe), is def less prone to feedback. Both of my Prospects had a tendency to fb when pointed at the amps. Sometimes just having the OD/Dist on without muting the strings would cause some fb. I'd say for me, the Prospect is def more comfortable, probably due to the slightly smaller body size. I've had a Millie arch top/back and I have a Millie DC. The Prospect is slightly larger than the Millies. And nothing like them is response, sounds, etc.

I'm the guy that suggested the sponge. Works great! Wasn't hard at all to get under the block. I cut a sliver, used a long pointy tool to shove it under the block. In retrospect, I'd have ordered it with the solid block like the 535.

It's just as acoustic as any other semi-hollow would be. Slim body, so you don't really get an acoustic guitar tone. Then again, I noodle around on the Legacy unplugged and think it sounds fine. :)

Hmmmm. Not sure you loose anything. Both are semi's, give you that great bit of woodiness to the tone, can do whatever music you throw at it. I'd think it'd be more how you have it set up, ala pickups, etc. Rather than the guitars, themselves.

No fun facts, other than I think they look pretty cool. They "push air" just like all good semi's should do. The back vibrates in that way that only great semi's can do, coincidentally, about the same time they are "pushing air". :icon_thumright:

Most pictures seem to accentuate the "mickey mouse" ears, but they aren't like that in person. I was at my local MnP today and noticed two 535s on the wall. I asked when they'd gotten another 535, then Ooops, that second one was a Prospect (angle, point of view, etc). My Prospect is just a tad bit lighter than the 535 (obviously); the smaller body is easier to handle on stage, where I find the 535 to be almost too "wide", takes up a lot of front of body real estate :biggrin_mini:Of course, these are just my observations and opinions. But, that is what you asked for, isn't it?

That "pushing air" comment is God's truth..I was playing my 535 this morning, a bit loud with the tube everdrive on my Classic 30 when i felt a vibration..I thought it was my phone vibrating in its holster..Nope..Air moving out of the F-holes, creating that awesome tone.. :icon_thumright:

I find the 535 to be almost too "wide", takes up a lot of front of body real estate :biggrin_mini: [/b]

Nice! Maybe some of us aren't as pretty as you and it might not matter as much? :tongue5: It's something to be aware of though (the guitar's size, that is).

Of course, these are just my observations and opinions. But, that is what you asked for, isn't it?

Absolutely! And I do sincerely appreciate it, for what it's worth, so thanks!

-Cheers

I guess the size of a 535 is not such an issue for me cause I'm 6'5"..But I can see where it might be for other folks..I just think the larger body translates into better tone..Your Mileage May Vary..

I guess the size of a 535 is not such an issue for me cause I'm 6'5"..But I can see where it might be for other folks..I just think the larger body translates into better tone..Your Mileage May Vary..

I tend to think that too about the size and tone, plus I prefer boomier, thicker, bassy, smoother, rounder-sounding instruments. I just want to make sure I don't look like Frodo playing guitar or something. Of course, the more I think of it, you're only losing a few inches in overall dimensions between the two, so I wonder how big a difference could it make?

Of course, then I wonder how cool it would be if there was a Heritage dealer in town where I could answer that myself by driving down there. But I digress.

-Cheers

Size-wise, how does the Prospect compare to an Ibanez AS73 (or perhaps a better way to say it, how does an Ibanez AS73 compare size-wise to an H-535 or an ES-335)? I tried one of those and it felt pretty comfortable as far as the size goes. Unfortunately it was the only semi-hollow electric they had available at the local music shop, but I'm going to try and get my hands on some ES-335's and ES-339's (they don't have Heritages at any shops around by me that I know of) to get a better feel to if/when I get a chance.

I have to say, you have all got me intrigued by the notion of a Prospect though.

-Cheers

Archived