Heritage Owners Club

Peavey ValveKing 112

So here's the skinny. Two months ago, I walked into a Guitar Center, saw this Peavey ValveKing 112 used for half the price of a new one. So I traded in my Fender Champ for it. However, the VK112 ended up blowing up V1 tubes every hour of playing. So, I returned it, went through a Bugera V22 and now a JCA2112RC (JetCity). I went back to GC because a friend wanted a peak at a used American Tele. We tried another ValveKing and loved the monster tone of it. I'm going to return my Jetcity in favor of this amp. Am I making a mistake for trying another one or should I feel safe about this???

So here's the skinny. Two months ago, I walked into a Guitar Center, saw this Peavey ValveKing 112 used for half the price of a new one. So I traded in my Fender Champ for it. However, the VK112 ended up blowing up V1 tubes every hour of playing. So, I returned it, went through a Bugera V22 and now a JCA2112RC (JetCity). I went back to GC because a friend wanted a peak at a used American Tele. We tried another ValveKing and loved the monster tone of it. I'm going to return my Jetcity in favor of this amp. Am I making a mistake for trying another one or should I feel safe about this???

I have always like the sound of the Valve Kings for the money. I would think the first one you had developed a board or supply problem that isn't typical Peavey's record. I think you're safe, but what do I know.

That first one really bugged me (especially considering GC just put it right back out on the sales floor as is)... but that being said; when it worked it did indeed sound good.

...and of course in worst case scenario, if this one goes wayward on you somewhere down the road you know you can always give me a shout out to see if I can't get her back on track for you.

I do have a fantastic safety net. Between the KBP810 Underground and you're amp skills, I won't have to worry so much. On a side note, I have learned to be careful when removing tubes. I put the normal preamp tube back in the JetCity and its still aweful sounding. I ruined a tube somewhere. Max the gain or the presence and an aweful hum comes out.

I picked up a 212 Valveking 100 Watt, used, at a GC Memorial Day sale a couple years ago for around $300. I couldn't pass it up. GREAT tone, very Marshally on the dirty channel, but I needed a 100 Watt combo in my basement like I needed another hole in my head. Sold it to my favorite pawn shop after about 6 months of ear splitting fun, lost NO money. I never had a problem with it, but it didn't seem as sturdy as my Classic 30 or even the old silver panel tanks Peavey used to make.

The actual playing part of the gig went well. The amp was great, I discovered that I don't need a huge loud amp for the stage. I have no idea why people insist on full stacks or 100 watts amps when everything can be mic'd up. My only issue now is the stupid single coil hum I get. Too many lights on the stage causing interference.

Archived