Heritage Owners Club

Another Virtuoso Polish testimony in the making

SlappyTappy

are you just using the polish, or also the cleaner? What are you going to put on the fretboard?

There currently is so much stuff out there to use, and it seems that every proponent of one thing says all the others suck. Like those that love the Gibson "luthier's choice" brand of guitar care products, or those that love the stuff that comes from stew-mac (which smells weird and takes some getting used to), and those who love virtuoso polish. And then you have the lemon oil proponents vs the fret doctor proponents. It gets really confusing.

I use scotch brite pads to wipe down the fretboard/frets, then apply Dunlop lemon oil and use an old toothbrush to really get out that grime near the frets and the dirt from the grain. Wipe down the excess, then apply Dunlop 02 Fretboard Conditioner and wipe away the excess.

I just used the Virtuoso polish, wasn't dirty enough to need the cleaner. This is easily the nicest polish I've used, it leaves such a smooth sheen for the nitro finish. Didn't really make the color/grain jump out any more though, probably because mine wasn't dirty enough to really make a drastic change. The grain in the maple really comes and goes at different angles. I can't complain though :icon_thumright:

Here she is, after the cleaning/polishing-

img1869fx.jpg

img1872u.jpg

img1875bu.jpg

img1882k.jpg

img1884h.jpg

img1886n.jpg

img1889p.jpg

img1864l.jpg

You are in the best position to notice an effect. What do you think of the polish?

I think it's very good and probably would make the finish "pop" on a very dirty/aged/worn instrument, but since this was just a bit gunky with skin oils it just brought everything to a nice sheen. Nothing too excessive or glossy, but noticably smoother than it was before. Very easy to work with too, just smells a tad funny. The lack of silicone is really the clincher and I will likely use this as a polish/cleaner for a long time to come.

I'm gonna have to try that toothbrush thing with the lemon oil. Near the frets is always a PITA to get clean.

I add a little furniture polish as well for water soluble grunge. I suppose you could use detergent alone instead. The idea is too loosen oil and non-oil based gunk prior to brushing.

I suggest a medium bristled toothbrush. The soft ones are too soft.

Guest HRB853370

I think it's very good and probably would make the finish "pop" on a very dirty/aged/worn instrument, but since this was just a bit gunky with skin oils it just brought everything to a nice sheen. Nothing too excessive or glossy, but noticably smoother than it was before. Very easy to work with too, just smells a tad funny. The lack of silicone is really the clincher and I will likely use this as a polish/cleaner for a long time to come.

Hey slappy, the top on your 150 looks almost identical to the top on mine!! Really nice wood grain.

BTW, you should get yourself a Dr. Duck neck rest (ducksdeluxe.com) and you would not have to use stacked phone books with a towel over them! I love my Dr. Duck neck rest!!!

Great looking Vintage Sunburst top!

I would replace the Schaller hardware with a Faber tailpiece and bridge.

And maybe replace the jackplate with a metal or cream one. The black one just doesn't look right IMO.

Really very dark and nice fretboard by the way. Is it rosewood?

Once again congrats to one of the best LPs out there: the Heritage H-150!

Guido

Hey slappy, the top on your 150 looks almost identical to the top on mine!! Really nice wood grain.

BTW, you should get yourself a Dr. Duck neck rest (ducksdeluxe.com) and you would not have to use stacked phone books with a towel over them! I love my Dr. Duck neck rest!!!

OK, I just bit, went to the Virtuoso site and ordered cleaner and polish. Oh, and I'd use a stack of Playboys instead of phone books... :crazy_mini:

Great looking Vintage Sunburst top!

I would replace the Schaller hardware with a Faber tailpiece and bridge.

And maybe replace the jackplate with a metal or cream one. The black one just doesn't look right IMO.

Really very dark and nice fretboard by the way. Is it rosewood?

Once again congrats to one of the best LPs out there: the Heritage H-150!

Guido

Yup, the fretboard is rosewood, and it was dark before but the Dunlop 02 Fingeboard Conditioner really brings out the richness.

And the H150 is THE best LP Standard :icon_thumright:

Hi Slappy..Sweet Axe..As far as the Virtuoso Polish and Cleaner goes, We have a gig Sunday afternoon, and I wanted the 535 to look "purty" so I used a little Virtuoso on it..DAMN..Works Great!! You have to use a little elbow grease on it, but I could probably use the top for a shaving mirror.. :icon_bigsmurf:

OK, I just bit, went to the Virtuoso site and ordered cleaner and polish. Oh, and I'd use a stack of Playboys instead of phone books... :crazy_mini:

Please exercise safe polishing, always were protection(safety glasses). Be sure and cover up the magazines.

Archived