Heritage Owners Club

Let's Talk Tubes

Tim

OK, Guys. I have a '96 Fender Blues Jr. that has developed a buzz, and I'm guessing it's time to change out the tubes (after 15 years of 'light' use). I have a matched pair of Sovtek EL84's as power tubes, and three Fender 12AX7WA's for the preamp. I noticed on the "Tubes-n-More" website that they don't list a Fender 12AX7WA, but do have a Sovtek 12AX7WA (however, it says that the bottle size is different from other tube sockets)...is this what the "WA" stands for. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to tubes so any help would be appreciated.

I'd try to switch out the power tubes, first, to see if that takes care of your problem. They should wear out much sooner than your 12AX7s (preamp tubes.) I usually get my replacement JJ tubes from these guys. Good site, and Eurotubes.com home page has some good general info on it, as well. Good Luck!

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=7&sub_category_id=31

Now that that's settled, send your Blues Junior out for the BillM mods. Google BillM if you don't know what I'm referring to. Well worth the cost.

OK, Guys. I have a '96 Fender Blues Jr. that has developed a buzz, and I'm guessing it's time to change out the tubes (after 15 years of 'light' use). I have a matched pair of Sovtek EL84's as power tubes, and three Fender 12AX7WA's for the preamp. I noticed on the "Tubes-n-More" website that they don't list a Fender 12AX7WA, but do have a Sovtek 12AX7WA (however, it says that the bottle size is different from other tube sockets)...is this what the "WA" stands for. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to tubes so any help would be appreciated.

I believe that the "w" in 12ax7wa is just a designation of a military spec tube - you don't really need one with the "wa" designation. Just about any 12ax7 is going to work for you (especially those sold from online retailers like tubes and more, Doug's tubes, tube depot, etc...)

For the Sovtek in question, it will still fit in your socket and work with the BJ... the size becomes a factor if you are using an aluminum shield over the tube, as in the shield may not fit over it. I don't remember if BJ's came with shields or not?

For preamp tubes, I generally like to mix and match different brands and types... as well as swapping a few around to sort of see which sound the best and are the quietest

Tim

Is the buzz just on certain notes or all the time?

I doubt all of them went at once. If you purchase a full set, I would sub them one at a time to see which one went bad.

No, I unplugged everything, turned down volume and gain, and the buzz remains, so it is definitely a tube issue (I think, from my limited knowledge). I will probably get a set from Eurotubes.com (thanks Schundog), and go one by one. I might even try to find someone who can mod it...I love this amp!

Tim

Is the buzz just on certain notes or all the time?

I doubt all of them went at once. If you purchase a full set, I would sub them one at a time to see which one went bad.

What's the difference?

I have buzz only by certain notes. So what could be the reason?

Thanks

................... I will probably get a set from Eurotubes.com (thanks Schundog), and go one by one. ...................

Good for you. That way you won't have Sovteks in your amp. I've found very few Sovtek tubes that weren't harsh. Don't care who's name is on them. Some nice medium gain JJ's will give you the warmth you're used to (or not used to), plus the ability to still push it and get that nice BJr natural OD. New tubes in an amp can be almost as magical as a new amp. Mmmmmm, love the smell of new tubes.

• 1 month later...

Alrighty...by way of an update. Thanks to all those who helped me out above :icon_thumright: I ordered a full set of tubes from Eurotubes (for max headroom), installed them, and the amp sounds great! Unfortunately, the tubes weren't the problem...the reverb tank has a nasty hum...not a big deal because I am usually using an outboard verb unit. With the reverb turned all the way down on my Blues Jr., the amp sounds fine. I'm glad I got the tubes though...the amp still had the original tubes from 15 years ago, and the Eurotubes kit added some really nice tonal characteristics to my sound...especially when playing my Strat or my ASAT.

Eurotubes has always done me right. Glad it worked for you.

I'm relatively new to this forum, but not the tube discussion. I'm not sure how much you guys here have had the age old debate of NOS preamp tubes v. new production, so I'll stir the pt...

As an amp-builder / hobbyist, I've spent a lot of time and money experimenting with different pre-amp tubes. Based on plain-old trial and error, I've come to a few conclusions:

1) If you know the right source, NOS pre-amp tubes can be had for a reasonable amount of money. $20-$30 per tube. That may seem a lot, but it isn't when you compare prices to some of the gold-pin and specialty current production tubes.

2) There is a noticeable difference on tone with NOS pre-amp tubes. They. Don't. Make. Them. Like. They. Used. To. PERIOD. The old ones just sound better.

3) DURABILITY - NOS pre-amp tubes will last at a minimum three times longer than any currently produced tube. This alone justifies paying a little more up front, yet alone the improvement in tone.

4) Power amp tubes are a different story. There are some decent ones out there and the fact is, supply of old production power tubes is much smaller compared to pre-amp tubes.

Glad you got your problem resolved....event if it wasn't the tubes :D

Welcome to the forum, Wdelaney72! I was just up in your neck of the woods yesterday, in Freeport, IL on business. It sounds like we can add you to the list of amp gurus we can count on for good advice around here. I haven't ever tried NOS tubes, but I'm certainly not opposed to the idea. Just one more expense I have to learn to justify to myself is worth it. Where do you find the best prices on good NOS stuff? I've heard of Antique Electrial Supply, but are there better sources online or other places? Thanks!

Tim, here is another possible source of your hum. Check out this link from the Blues Junior master, Bill Machrone:

http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bjr/bjrhum.htm

There is a LOT of great Blues Junior info on his site at: http://billmaudio.com/wp/

I have most of his mods installed on my Blues Junior, and it is a much better amp because of it. Good Luck!

+1

Wdelaney72 said it right. Sage advice. :music_mini2:

Agreed!

Just be careful with NOS tubes and ebay... lot's of seemingly good deals, but also a lot of fakes and near-dead-dud's out there too.

Welcome to the HOC WDelaney72, glad to have another builder/hobbyist aboard! (and that amp and cab with what appears to be your name on looks like some real top-notch stuff!)

Welcome to the forum, Wdelaney72! I was just up in your neck of the woods yesterday, in Freeport, IL on business. It sounds like we can add you to the list of amp gurus we can count on for good advice around here. I haven't ever tried NOS tubes, but I'm certainly not opposed to the idea. Just one more expense I have to learn to justify to myself is worth it. Where do you find the best prices on good NOS stuff? I've heard of Antique Electrial Supply, but are there better sources online or other places? Thanks!

Tim, here is another possible source of your hum. Check out this link from the Blues Junior master, Bill Machrone:

http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bjr/bjrhum.htm

There is a LOT of great Blues Junior info on his site at: http://billmaudio.com/wp/

I have most of his mods installed on my Blues Junior, and it is a much better amp because of it. Good Luck!

Here's a few site's that I have used (or at least visit from time to time)...

Tubedepot - tubedepot.com: better for new stock tubes, but they have a good deal on NOS pop up every now and then

KCA NOS Tubes - kcanostubes.com: Great selection and stock of NOS tubes

TubeWorld.com: Good selection, sites a little tough to navigate and ordering can be a bit of a pain.

Vacuum Tube Valley - Vaccumtube.com: Same as Tube World...

Audiotubes.com: Ditto again

I used to like Dougstubes... but got a little frustrated with their site (as in everything always seems to be out of stock when you try to add it to your cart)

Here's a few site's that I have used (or at least visit from time to time)...

Tubedepot - tubedepot.com: better for new stock tubes, but they have a good deal on NOS pop up every now and then

KCA NOS Tubes - kcanostubes.com: Great selection and stock of NOS tubes

TubeWorld.com: Good selection, sites a little tough to navigate and ordering can be a bit of a pain.

Vacuum Tube Valley - Vaccumtube.com: Same as Tube World...

Audiotubes.com: Ditto again

I used to like Dougstubes... but got a little frustrated with their site (as in everything always seems to be out of stock when you try to add it to your cart)

Thanks for the tips, brother!

I have been in a bit of a VOS tube buying frenzy lately, have added around 70-80 tubes to the collection this last month, mostly 12ax7's, 12at7's, and a few 6l6's and el34's. Most have been screaming deals on ebay. Some found their way to the trash can, about 1 out of 5, for noise issues mainly.

https://ssl.eurotube..._category_id=31

Now that that's settled, send your Blues Junior out for the BillM mods. Google BillM if you don't know what I'm referring to. Well worth the cost.

I agree on Bill's mods, the difference in mine is astounding. Currently waiting on the upgraded output xformer. If you send the amp to him you will have a long wait I believe. Any good amp tech could do them for you. I've done my own, only had some complications from removing the pwa too many times, wound up stressing the dreaded ribbon cables, wound up installing straight wire to replace them.

A used blues jr can be had pretty cheap then modded pretty inexpensively.

Thanks, guys. if you have questions on Marshall builds....I'm your man :D

Most of my glass was purchased from Terry Kilgore (aka TubeTramp). He's a trip of a guy and very steady on his quality. Always reasonably priced.

I have never used Doug's Tubes, but I'v heard good advice. Antique electric supply is good, but for NOS they can be pricey. Be VERY careful on eBay. I've found eBay to not be worth the hassle.

Power tubes are a different story. I have a friend who just started up GuitarAmpTubes.Com. He's a good source for new glass.

Archived