Heritage Owners Club

Tube Amp Doctor Kits

H

Hi all,

I'm about to start building a Tweed Deluxe (5E3) clone, mostly based on a kit. I had a bit of a setback yesterday when I found out that the Mojo 5E3 kit advertised by a couple of UK resellers now can't be sold due to ROHS regulations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restriction_of_Hazardous_Substances_Directive).

The Mojo kit has a good reputation and is in the right ballpark on cost for me. I now have to forget about it.

There aren't a lot of companies in Europe making kits like these but I've found one being sold by the German company Tube Amp Doctor (http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?cPath=96_100&products_id=947). Does anyone have any experience with these kits? Tube Amp Doctor have a good reputation in Europe and from what I have been able to find out these kits are not someone else's rebadged stuff. The couple of reviews I found suggest that the kits are good quality and there's a short Youtube clip I found with a bit of sound and lot of chat in a language that might be Czech.

Any help from my fellow HOCers please?

Looks like a quality kit

I actually used TAD's electrolytics for the power amp side in my 5E3, and orange drops for most of the rest... so it's mostly comprised of the same stuff I used in mine :)

I don't much care for carbon comp resistors (they can get noisy and they can drift), but they will certainly do the job - and if you so choose, you could of course always pick up seperate resistors for it. (I prefer to use tantalum or metal film, or at least anything with a 1% or 2% tolerance).

Either way, I'm sure it will be fun to build, and I'm sure it will sound great!

Looks like a quality kit

Thanks - I value your opinion as a known amp builder of some repute. My quartersawn oak for the cab is coming just after Christmas :) Watch out for the thread I'll be starting in the New Year which will detail the build :smile_mini2:

Oak cabinet? Whoa! You must be a competitor for the World Strongest Man competitions. That's a heavey cabinet! Hope you have heavy duty casters!

LOL :) I used to lug 4x10 Marshall head/cabs around and my last big amp was a Marshall AS100D that weighed in at 21kg. This little 5E3 amp will be mostly air! The oak is going to be 20-22mm thick so I don't anticipate problems :)

Archived