Heritage Owners Club

Dark or Bright Sounding Guitars: Semi vs Solid

Blues_N_Rock

Hi folks. It has been a while since I last posted. In general, is a semi-hollow body guitar (H-535) considered a darker or brighter sounding guitar than say a solid body like a Les Paul. Assume everyhting being equal between the 2 guitars (i.e. same pickups, pots, caps, brdige, string sizes, etc.). I often see references made that a particular guitar is dark sounding and a recommendation is provided to brighten it, but I am not certain if you can literally take the recommendation and apply it to another type of guitar without considering the stype. Thanks all.

Here's a partial reply........

I have an H155 (not solid-body but close) with Seth Lover pickups, ebony fretboard, bone nut, TonePros bridge, Heritage tailpiece, strung with 10's.

I also have a somewhat older H535 with Seth Lovers, rosewood fretboard, non-bone nut, TonePros-like bridge (I'm not sure what it is), Heritage tailpiece, strung with 10's.

Both set up for string and pickup height by the same expert.

The H155, especially on the neck pickup, sounds wonderful. Clear, full, ringing articulate sounds.

The H535, on the neck pickup, sounds more than wonderful. It's better in all respects. Even more clarity and fullness, richer, and exceptionally articulate. Much better sustain. Very even and gradual note decay.

While I wouldn't say the H155 sounds darker (it doesn't sound dark at all), I have to say the H535 sounds brighter.

And to my ears at least, better. By far.

So if a combination of clarity and fullness is what you're after, the H535's the ticket.

I'm sure there are lots of members around with 150's and 535's who will chime in.

Hi folks. It has been a while since I last posted. In general, is a semi-hollow body guitar (H-535) considered a darker or brighter sounding guitar than say a solid body like a Les Paul. Assume everyhting being equal between the 2 guitars (i.e. same pickups, pots, caps, brdige, string sizes, etc.). I often see references made that a particular guitar is dark sounding and a recommendation is provided to brighten it, but I am not certain if you can literally take the recommendation and apply it to another type of guitar without considering the stype. Thanks all.

This is one of those questions where my understanding has changed as I have come to a different understanding of how electric guitars actually work. I began by thinking of semi's as more acoustic, and therefore richer, denser sounding, than solid bodies, which I thought of as, well, harder, and brighter. However, I think the question, sort of like questions of sustain, comes back to the role of the guitar body in either keeping energy and the full range of overtone frequencies in the string to be picked up by the pickup, or selectively absorbing (maybe emphasizing to some degree, but mostly absorbing and cutting) certain frequencies. Therefore, a solid body is actually going to produce a "denser" spectrum of frequencies than a hollow body, because the greater the mass of the body, the less energy absorbed from the string, and the less shaping of the overtone sequence that is available to the pickup. Since low and low mid frequencies are most likely to be absorbed, I think semi's tend to sound a a little brighter, a little more compressed, than solids, everything else held equal. (sort of like the difference between a tube and a solid state amp, again because tube amps tend to selectively cut or boost certain frequencies). A LP with 'buckers, for example, actually produces, IMHO, a thicker bottom and low mid sound than will a semi-hollow with the same pickups. The semi does sound more acoustic ...but not because it is richer in frequencies, but because it actually cuts/emphasizes certain frequencies in a way similar to what happens with acoustic instruments, where the resonant structure of the instrument emphasizes certain parts of the spectrum.

However, when it comes to actually playing an electric guitar through an amp, it is very difficult to hold all factors equal, and there is enormous variation within the categories of solid and semi and hollow, so I wouldn't claim that this idea necessarily means that every hollow guitar is brighter than every solid.

Lyle, I think you are in love my friend. It's called "535-itus"

:)

actually, I trust your definition and description of tonality to the max.

I long to add a 535 to mate up w/my H155..

peace, HNY, and hi to the Mrs,

chico

I have four 150s and two 535s. Like others have said the Semis are clearer, more articulate, and a little mid-scooped. This all adds up to a clearer guitar that can come acrossed as brighter. I think clearer & more articulate are a better description that "brighter" .

i used to have a H-140, and currently have a 535 equipped with Seth Lovers..I have to say I like the tone of the 535 better..Not because it's brighter or darker, but because it disintegrates into a very musical sounding feedback when I let the notes ring out..(and they ring for days and days) Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but my 2 cents anyway..Carry on.. :drunken_smilie:

Thanks all for your input. 111518 that was a very insightful explanation thank you.

As a follow up I noticed that the 50s Gibson wiring is to use a 0.047 uF cap. Since the semis have a tendency to be brighter would a lower value cap (e.g. 0.022 uF) be prefered or to stay with the 0.047? Also, is there a standard cap value Heritage uses for the 535? Thank you

I'm not sure this is the right question. I don't think it's an issue of "brighter vs darker". This would have more to do with the electronics, string choice or wood choices, not solid vs semi-hollow. Semi-hollow vs solid have clear tonal differences but it is more related to resonance (depth) not color.

I have a H157 and a H535 both with Duncan 59's. The H157 has always been dark (as in deep and brooding dark..) and the 535 is much brighter sounding.

This said, like many others have mentioned, there's alot more too it. Different pickups, different strings, different woods in each guitar, and they will all sound different, even two seemingly identical ones.

Archived