Heritage Owners Club

staining a blonde pickguard black

bolero

hey I picked up a blonde flamed maple PG for my 535, want to stain it transparent black, like the black heritage ones, so you can still see the flame/grain

should I sand down the existing clear finish, or just apply a diluted black/clear lacquer coat overtop?

also the binding will be a mess to mask off, I'm assuming it's easier/best to shave off the finish with a razor afterwards?

thx for any advice

A picture would be helpful.

I would probably sand it down, mask the binding for dying, apply a water-based black dye (Transfast #3280) with a small pore sponge in multiple coats (diluted because it turns darker when clear coated), remove the masking, then clear-coat and buff it.

hey I picked up a blonde flamed maple PG for my 535, want to stain it transparent black, like the black heritage ones, so you can still see the flame/grain

should I sand down the existing clear finish, or just apply a diluted black/clear lacquer coat overtop?

also the binding will be a mess to mask off, I'm assuming it's easier/best to shave off the finish with a razor afterwards?

thx for any advice

I would sand/scrape it down, just be sure remove all off the finish.

I have a picture of a Gibson employe scaping the finish of the bindings with a sharp blade (carpet knife?),

that's how they did it. Why not sell that PG and get another one in the right color?

well I had a WTB ad here forever, finally this one came up, and I like the shape as it has a horn at the top, but it's rounded at the bottom so you don't get stabbed reaching for the toggleswitch :D

buying a new one from Heritage is about $150....more than I want to spend on a pickguard...I think this one was $60 or so

the sponge is a good idea; I bet I could just make a mixture of clear lacquer with a bit of black, and dab that on right onto the clear that's on there...if they're both nitro, it should melt/mix right in?

then follow up with another clear coat or two

A black Magic Marker. But get the Permanent one. Kidding. I think to get the look you want, it needs a re-finish the same way you would anything else. That way you will get the grain to take the stain in the wood and thats what you want.

That one looks like a natural finish. You could sand that and dye straight up with the multi-coat diluted black dye without masking. With the fine sponge you could probably get right up to the edge and avoid touching the plastic binding during application and if you did touch it, a damp Q-tip will take it off if you don't wait too long. That or a couple of swipes with fine sandpaper. You usually apply the dye moving in the direction of the grain so keep that in mind. Also remember that it will get darker with clear coat and you can overdo the darkness.

Like Mark, I think clear-coating with a mixed overcoat (black/clear) will only hide the wood pattern that you are trying to bring out. The highlights will be missing, as opposed to jumping out as they do now. Just my opinion and I can be wrong.

Archived