Heritage Owners Club

webber speaker question

big bob

Does anyone know if webber and tone tubby are made in the same place at the same time, ie does webber make tone tubby. They seem quite similar.

Not to mention I noticed that Weber is offering hempcone's now too :huh:

Tone Tubby's based out of California, and Weber is based out of Indiana; so it seems to me they likely are two seperate factories... but then again, just because they are based in one place doesn't mean they are not being manufactured in another.

I was thinking of putting two hemp cone 12's and two paper cone 12's all ceramic mag in my home build cab. would be going 8 ohm and either 60, or 75 watts

would love to go with alnico but at 200 + per they are too much for my budget.

any thoughts.

Don't believe there is any association to Tone Tubby.

Webers are made in Kokomo IN on Easy Street and on Market Street.

When I look at tone tubby they seem like they might be re-badged webbers with hemp cones (webber now offers these)

Nope. A Broun Sound is totally different from Weber, a smaller company/operation. I'm going to give the TT folks some biz, I have a JBL g125 that I got for dirt cheap needing a recone. I love the sound of that speaker stock, am sure I'd like the Hemp cone thang. TT has done JBL recones in the past, have heard excellent things about the results.

Scumbak speakers are from here in California and yet they are manufactured (to Scumbak's specs) by Weber.

I'm pretty sure ToneTubby makes their own cones, as they are a re-cone center, but I doubt they make there own frames/coils/drivers etc. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Weber makes these for them.

As for hemp cones, Eminence has been making a hemp cone for a few years now. ToneTubby started something end others are jumping on the bandwagon.

FWIW - I found the ToneTubby AlNiCo to be very dark in my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia. It was like placing a heavy blanket over the amp. Way, way way darker than the Celestion AlNiCo Blue I normally run in there. My guess is people who like ToneTubbies play LOUD and/or have bright amps. I remember at the NAMM show two years back walking past one of the boutique pedal manufactures and noticing a guy playing a pedal I found exceptionally bright (sorry, I can't remember which one) and he was getting a very dark sound. I was puzzled until I looked at the cabinet he was plugged into and saw ToneTubby.

Scumbak speakers are from here in California and yet they are manufactured (to Scumbak's specs) by Weber.

I'm pretty sure ToneTubby makes their own cones, as they are a re-cone center, but I doubt they make there own frames/coils/drivers etc. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Weber makes these for them.

As for hemp cones, Eminence has been making a hemp cone for a few years now. ToneTubby started something end others are jumping on the bandwagon.

FWIW - I found the ToneTubby AlNiCo to be very dark in my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia. It was like placing a heavy blanket over the amp. Way, way way darker than the Celestion AlNiCo Blue I normally run in there. My guess is people who like ToneTubbies play LOUD and/or have bright amps. I remember at the NAMM show two years back walking past one of the boutique pedal manufactures and noticing a guy playing a pedal I found exceptionally bright (sorry, I can't remember which one) and he was getting a very dark sound. I was puzzled until I looked at the cabinet he was plugged into and saw ToneTubby.

Interesting comment. Ive read this a lot about TT's, particularly the comment "It was like placing a heavy blanket over the amp".

Interesting comment. Ive read this a lot about TT's, particularly the comment "It was like placing a heavy blanket over the amp".

I had a conversation with the guy at ToneTubby once when I was looking to have some Alnico Blues repaired - the gasket tore into shards when I removed them from the cabinet, and this lifted the cone from the frame! He wanted to re-cone them with the hemp cone. I mentioned trying the ToneTubby and finding them dark. He said just turn the treble up on your amp, as if my amp settings were wrong and his speakers would magically allow me to set my amp correctly. Well I already had the treble cranked and the speaker still sound dark, dull, lifeless, lackluster. Now I play it low to moderate volume, and I do tend to favor crisp, clear, punchy tones. I'm guessing the guys who like a use ToneTubbies play them LOUD and prefer darker, creamier, soupier tones. Not the speaker for me.

Thanks for the comments guy's. I'm making a 4 x 12 cab to go with my sound city 120 (6 x el34 5 x 12ax7) This amp is made to be loud and have lots of headroom. I was thinking that I would like to get speakers that break up early. I had a nice conversation with Mars on the phone the other day and decided to go with four twelve inch speakers. I've been reading that the hemp cone speakers are darker than the paper so I thought it might be nice to go with two of each, hemp on bottom, paper on top.

Now for the question? the amp is 120 watts with Big A55 transformers so I want the cab to be at least 240 watts. My original thought was four 60 or 75 watt speakers. Then I thought what if I went two 100 watt and two 30 watt speakers would wire them as pairs of 100 + 30 in series and then run the two pairs in parallel. would the 30 watters hold up? what are the pros and cons of the watt thing?

Thanks

Lance

Thanks for the comments guy's. I'm making a 4 x 12 cab to go with my sound city 120 (6 x el34 5 x 12ax7) This amp is made to be loud and have lots of headroom. I was thinking that I would like to get speakers that break up early. I had a nice conversation with Mars on the phone the other day and decided to go with four twelve inch speakers. I've been reading that the hemp cone speakers are darker than the paper so I thought it might be nice to go with two of each, hemp on bottom, paper on top.

Now for the question? the amp is 120 watts with Big A55 transformers so I want the cab to be at least 240 watts. My original thought was four 60 or 75 watt speakers. Then I thought what if I went two 100 watt and two 30 watt speakers would wire them as pairs of 100 + 30 in series and then run the two pairs in parallel. would the 30 watters hold up? what are the pros and cons of the watt thing?

Thanks

Lance

The 30 watters could be a little too close for comfort... they might go from breaking up earlier than you want to distorting too much and getting that "buzzy" effect.

I like what your thinking on mixing in the hempcone and paper though... I mixed a hempcone alnico and a paper cone ceramic speaker in a 2x12 with fantatic results! (that pair was a Eminence Canis Major Hempcone and a Celestion V30)

The dark Tone Tubbies are the AlNiCo speakers. Pair them with the ceramics and find sonic nirvana. I have an AlNiCo TT in my 5E3 and quite like it.

With 4 speakers, each will receive the same power so the 100 watt drivers will be clean while the 30 watt drivers will be overdriven or right near their peak. You should consider that an amp (especially tube) is power rated at the point of breakup. You can push the amp beyond that point (most classic rock tone is achieved with power tube breakup) and overdrive the 30W speakers.

Something tells me you're going to make your ears bleed if you turn a 120W amp past 9:00. Especially if it goes to 11!

My preference in a 4X12 is to use two drivers that are voiced within the frequency you enjoy, (low, mid, highs) and add one of each of the other two voices. It's not a perfect system but gives a good base to allow many styles of music with 1 amp.

Thanks

Lance

When combining speakers in either series or parallel, you have to use the wattage rating of the lowest power speaker when figuring total power handling capability. In your case, 4 speakers x 30 watts (lowest power speaker) = 120 watts. You 'should' be ok if you don't crank it, but if you do turn it up for any lenght of time those 30 watters my be toast.

Archived