Heritage Owners Club

H150 Pickup set up

jmac

Spent the day working on " Baby, I gonna leave you" by Led Zep and adjusting my H150 pickups and string height. To me the duncan Antiquites sould best farther away from the strings. But I wanted the strings as low as possible without buzz but re adjusting the pickups was a challenge.

First, set the neck pickup screws 3/32" from the strings for the bridge and 2/32" from the strings on the bridge. Seemed really bright that way. Lowered the treble side a little. Better but also kind of woofy on the base side. Cranked the sixth string neck pickup screw down a little and it got better. Still not sounding like it was with the strings further away.

Well I started out really scientific and end up just tweaking.. don't seem to have the tone I had from these pickups but don't know what else to do..

Another day, new ears. How do they sound today?

That's a great way to look at it.. so true.

I grabbed an acoustic yesterday and was enjoying that same Zep tune, jmac.

I can't imagine not being able to dial in a great tone with those Antiquites,

maybe it's just working on the fine tuning.. the combination of the p.u. height , polepieces and adjusting the amp to that set up. I agree on pickups not being set too high, good luck on your quest.

Tulk, you are so right.. They sounded better today. Its like the next day you hear it again for the first time.

Still some tweaking..

Haven't spent much time trying to learn Led Zep but really enjoying some of the songs. Maybe we can play some at PSPiv.

wasn't that an acoustic song?

speaking of Zeppelin, the guitar solo Page does on the live version of "immigrant song" on BBC sessions just blows my mind....some really cool scales/notes outside the typical blues pattern!!

wasn't that an acoustic song?

Mostly yes, but even Page was doing it electric at shows

speaking of Zeppelin, the guitar solo Page does on the live version of "immigrant song" on BBC sessions just blows my mind....some really cool scales/notes outside the typical blues pattern!!

Yeah, I had those recordings back in the late 70's and they were always great to surprise people with...

Archived