Heritage Owners Club

Lovin the MINI HUMMS!

brentrocks

I love the Mini hums as well. One thing I try to do is make sure all of my guitars have different pups in them. This gives me the most flexibility and tonal variation to experiment with.

@ Brentrocks: right there witn ya - I told ya - your guitar with themini hums is my favorite of your collection. My goal would be to someday get a 140 with mini hums, or a 150 LW with minis.

@NoName - that's a great idea. I couldn't see having two of the same exact thing.

I'm trying to remember the history of the mini-hums as they relate to the LP. It had something to do with Epiphone and goes back decades. Does anyone know?

You are correct that Epiphone developed the mini. They did so, because Gibson had already applied for a patent )thus the Patent Applied For) and Epi didn't want to risk patent infringement. When Gibson acquired them, they got an awful lot of mini's included as part of the deal. They wanted to start using them, but they (Gibson) had to develop a pup ring, similar to the one used on their full sized 'buckers. Epi didn't use any pup rings and Gibson's mounting configuration was such that they needed the ring. It was used to replace the "soap bar" in the later Deluxes.

Mini hamburgers!

You are correct that Epiphone developed the mini. They did so, because Gibson had already applied for a patent )thus the Patent Applied For) and Epi didn't want to risk patent infringement. When Gibson acquired them, they got an awful lot of mini's included as part of the deal. They wanted to start using them, but they (Gibson) had to develop a pup ring, similar to the one used on their full sized 'buckers. Epi didn't use any pup rings and Gibson's mounting configuration was such that they needed the ring. It was used to replace the "soap bar" in the later Deluxes.

Patrick, you are a veritable buffet of information. Thanks for the quality info.

Lollar describes the pup as:

A little fatter and hotter sound than a true vintage Mini Humbucker Pickup without the extreme microphonics. Slightly brighter and tighter than a full size humbucker. Sweet played soft, snarly played hard. Wax potted.

Archived