Heritage Owners Club

phat cats vs. p90

Trouble

Does anyone own both a p90 equipped guitar and one with phat cats? How close to a true p90 sound are they? I've always been a fan of seymour Duncan pup so I expect them to do what they should just wanted to verify if possible. Thanks!

Does anyone own both a p90 equipped guitar and one with phat cats? How close to a true p90 sound are they? I've always been a fan of seymour Duncan pup so I expect them to do what they should just wanted to verify if possible. Thanks!

There have been several threads on this one, over the last couple of years. I have a 576 semi-hollow and a stoptail 150, both with Phat Cats. They're two of the best sounding guitars I've ever owned! The 576 may have the widest varieties of tones I've heard out of one guitar. The 150 is just sweet as clover honey!

I'll second what Rob has stated. I've owned Phat Cats and some other high end humbucker sized P-90 pickups, including Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queens. The Phat Cats are by far the best and sweetest sounding ones I've owned and are very close to a soapbar or dogear P-90. Go buy a set and you won't be disappointed.

Thanks guys. My h150 with the stock 59's has become my main guitar and I don't want to change anything about it. All my other guitars have their own personality and I want to leave them alone as well. I guess that means I have to buy a new guitar, what a bummer! I have some other stuff I have to take care of 1st but hopefully soon I can grab another 150 either p90 equipped or swap in the phat cats.

What I mean is, tone-wise.

It would be my opinion that the Phat Cats have more low end and a coarser edge than the mini-HBs I have. They are definitely superior to HB in the neck position with defined clarity and no mud. This makes the neck pickup actually usable at higher gains.

It would be my opinion that the Phat Cats have more low end and a coarser edge than the mini-HBs I have. They are definitely superior to HB in the neck position with defined clarity and no mud. This makes the neck pickup actually usable at higher gains.

Mark, I don't know if you mean all HBs or just the minis. Phat Cats have beautiful clarity. Often I appreciate the slur of Seths, also.

Humbuckers were made to solve the problem of hum. As far as I know it wasn't because the sound of P-90s was inadequate.

My Phat Cat and my P-Rails are quiet. Problem solved.

Mark, I don't know if you mean all HBs or just the minis. Phat Cats have beautiful clarity. Often I appreciate the slur of Seths, also.

Humbuckers were made to solve the problem of hum. As far as I know it wasn't because the sound of P-90s was inadequate.

Marty,

When you're using the P-Rails in strat mode, do they hum, or noiseless?

Aside from the Seths, most HBs including the minis that I've heard, and I should stress "that I've heard", lack distinct highs in the neck position and tend to get muddy when pushed. It's similar to playing with the tone controls and using too much bass. If nothing else is present at that time you can discern each note. The situation becomes compounded when more than one note is played at any given point in time. They blur. Individual note runs may get through OK, but when you start adding harmonic notes, a degree of cancellation soon starts to take place.

This might be good for low gain solo situations with little tube compression and dissimilar instrument accompaniment, but the individual guitars quickly get lost in a mush when placed within a higher gain mix of multiple guitars.

On the other hand, the P90s and Phat Cats like most single coil pickups retain their clarity and rich definition of the individual notes even up the neck. It's kinda like putting on your glasses in the morning. The blur goes away. P90s are definitely adequate across the entire range.

Archived