Heritage Owners Club

Can anyone help with an H150 series primer?

donnie

Just wondering if ya'll could give me the skinny on the H150's? What are the differences, what have they made and what do they still make, etc.

What does the "CM" stand for, and are they all CM's now?

Average weights? I'd read somewhere that some of them are weight relieved-does that compromise tone?

I tried but can't dig up much on the website.

Thanks!

Just wondering if ya'll could give me the skinny on the H150's? What are the differences, what have they made and what do they still make, etc.

What does the "CM" stand for, and are they all CM's now?

Average weights? I'd read somewhere that some of them are weight relieved-does that compromise tone?

I tried but can't dig up much on the website.

Thanks!

Well, being that they are a custom shop, the options can vary greatly from guitar to guitar - if you know what your looking for, you're very likely to find it (and if you can't find it, custom order it!)

CM stands for Curly Maple, which is refering to the curly maple top.

I believe that the solid's run between 8 and 10 lbs; I think the light weights are closer to 5-6lbs (I'm sure someone else can chime in to either confirm or correct me on that).

I've played both solid and weight relieved; while a potential difference in tone may exist, they both sound great! - and if you are playing for long periods at a time, I'm sure the relief on your shoulder would make up for any possible variance in tone between the two.

Specials have a poplar body and dot inlays usually.

Ultras have a upgraded top and the older ones had their headstocks laminated with curly maple. Usually have extra binding. Block Inlays. Sometimes these are put out in limited edition series and the name has Deluxe appended to it with and without the Ultra.

150M have a completely Mahogany body and block inlays. Don't see these often

there is a wide variety of pickup options, too. mostly PAF-style humbuckers, but also others and then there are P90s (different routing of the wood)

some people here have reported high weights (>11 lbs).

the few LWs i've tried (3-4?) were in the 7-8 lb range

Specials have a poplar body and dot inlays usually.

Ultras have a upgraded top and the older ones had their headstocks laminated with curly maple. Usually have extra binding. Block Inlays. Sometimes these are put out in limited edition series and the name has Deluxe appended to it with and without the Ultra.

150M have a completely Mahogany body and block inlays. Don't see these often

Mars, wasn't it the 150P that had the poplar body? I have a 150 Special Goldtop and it definitely has a maple cap - I've had a look in the pickup cavity. It is definitely thinner than a regular 150 (1 5/8 in. at the rim), has dot inlays and a bound fingerboard. In fact it seems to be a dead ringer for the H140 Second Edition.

If you will pardon the comparison, the H150CM is the Heritage LP Standard. The H150 Ultra is upgraded top, binding on the headstock. Usually very flamey top. The H157 is the Heritage LP Custom. The Heritage H150P is the poplar body, usually in black or gold (solid color) and lighter. I find the average weight of a H150CM is 10lbs. The H150 Skolnick models are 11lbs. I think you would be pressed to find any H150 excluding the H150P that is less than 9+ lbs. The H150 LW are chambered and they are 8lbs+ IIRC.

Really, the meat and potatos H150 is the H150CM, and that is usually with creme binding on the body top only, trap inlays, and unbound headstock w/silkscreened "the Heritage". Usually found with a pickguard installed and either Schaller or Duncan 59s. Only the H150's of recent vintage had the soapbar single coils and other pickup variations.

of course, being a custom factory, all standard designs usually have a few differences be it electronics or hardware. but that is my take on the H150.

The H157 is another matter entirely.

corrections welcome.

Mars, wasn't it the 150P that had the poplar body? I have a 150 Special Goldtop and it definitely has a maple cap - I've had a look in the pickup cavity. It is definitely thinner than a regular 150 (1 5/8 in. at the rim), has dot inlays and a bound fingerboard. In fact it seems to be a dead ringer for the H140 Second Edition.

There has been a thread on this before and I believe the consensus was the 150P was complete poplar and 150S was poplar with a maple cap. The facts are listed in the rjsanders pricelist/catalog/descriptions here if I am not mistaken and Fred or rj pointed out the specific one.

Bottom line: use special and poplar in the search function at the top. Could be wrong

There has been a thread on this before and I believe the consensus was the 150P was complete poplar and 150S was poplar with a maple cap. The facts are listed in the rjsanders pricelist/catalog/descriptions here if I am not mistaken and Fred or rj pointed out the specific one.

Bottom line: use special and poplar in the search function at the top. Could be wrong

Thanks for the tip Mars - in the "Dots and Dates" thread there's a couple of photos of "Jim's 150 special " posted by High Flying Bird, which I've taken the liberty of copying here, along with my goldtop. What was the thickness of the 150P? Was it the same as the regular 150?

post-1813-0-51917700-1298938798_thumb.jpg

post-1813-0-54894200-1298938899_thumb.jpg

post-1813-0-41111300-1298939210_thumb.jpg

post-1813-0-03618000-1298939270_thumb.jpg

If you will pardon the comparison, the H150CM is the Heritage LP Standard. The H150 Ultra is upgraded top, binding on the headstock. Usually very flamey top. The H157 is the Heritage LP Custom. The Heritage H150P is the poplar body, usually in black or gold (solid color) and lighter. I find the average weight of a H150CM is 10lbs. The H150 Skolnick models are 11lbs. I think you would be pressed to find any H150 excluding the H150P that is less than 9+ lbs. The H150 LW are chambered and they are 8lbs+ IIRC.

Really, the meat and potatos H150 is the H150CM, and that is usually with creme binding on the body top only, trap inlays, and unbound headstock w/silkscreened "the Heritage". Usually found with a pickguard installed and either Schaller or Duncan 59s. Only the H150's of recent vintage had the soapbar single coils and other pickup variations.

of course, being a custom factory, all standard designs usually have a few differences be it electronics or hardware. but that is my take on the H150.

The H157 is another matter entirely.

corrections welcome.

Very helpful-thanks much! And thanks to all. I was already pretty familiar with the 535, but I sometimes think it would be helpful if Heritage published a guide that went down the lineup and said "now this is our take on the...". Course, most guys probably already know that.

Archived