Heritage Owners Club

Flat top WARS!

brentrocks

Just got around to listening. My take - on stage I'd want that Martin; recording I'd want the Heritage ... with new strings, of course!! If that Martin is indeed the GC special, it's a pretty dandy guitar. I just played a GC model yesterday and really loved the way it sounded. Bold when stroked, very accommodating when finger tickled. And I am a BIG FAN of Larrivee guitars. My singer plays an OM-5 cutaway. What a wonderful guitar that one is. And since our H acoustics are Larrivee at heart, well, I'd be stoked to own any of them.

Too many differences between the guitars to make a solid judgement call. Rosewood and maple are different tone woods, size and shape of the guitar make a difference. Age of the woods make a difference. The saddle and nut make a difference. Strings being used makes a difference. Finish makes a difference (nitro thins with age, right?). Bottom line is both guitars need to be the same age, played for about the same amount of time, use the same strings (gauge/manufacture/freshness), have the same tone woods, and have comparable nut/saddle for a comparison. But judging how the Martin is up for sale, it sounds like you made a decision the Heritage wins. And its your decision and I'm sure being a HOC member helps support that.

BTW, that is a Martin D-16 custom order with some D-28 appointments.

Archived