Heritage Owners Club

535 string size options?

barrymclark

When I do get to order my H535, this will be my first semi-hollow.

I love the sound and feel of my 12-52's on the H575.

Anyone had any experiences in using 12's on their H535's or similar semi's? Doesn't cause any problems?

My primary use for this guitar will be jazz.

Anyone had any experiences in using 12's on their H535's or similar semi's? Doesn't cause any problems?

Won't hurt it a bit if thats what you want, just set it up for it and it'll be fine.

Guest HRB853370

My 535 came from the seller with 9's, he is used to playing a Tele with 9's, so thats how he strung it. I was doubtful at first, since I normally like 10-46 but man o man can I bend strings with those 9's. I kinda got used to them and since they were only a month old, when I feel the need to change them, I will go back to 10-46. 12 gauge seems a bit heavy on a 535 but whatever makes ya happy and play good!

I've used D'Addario 11's with a wound G string on my 555 for 15 years now and it sound great. I have no problems bending strings. Over the years I experimented with 10s and 10.5s, but they just do not sound as good as the 11's.

The issue for me isn't with bending strings. Just wondering more if anyone encountered any physical issues with the guitar itself. It makes sense that it wouldn't as 12's really isn't all that extreme. Just wanted to make sure before I did something. :D

Won't hurt it a bit if thats what you want, just set it up for it and it'll be fine.

+1

My 535 came from the seller with 9's, he is used to playing a Tele with 9's, so thats how he strung it. I was doubtful at first, since I normally like 10-46 but man o man can I bend strings with those 9's. I kinda got used to them and since they were only a month old, when I feel the need to change them, I will go back to 10-46. 12 gauge seems a bit heavy on a 535 but whatever makes ya happy and play good!

Nut strings slots are specific to a particuliar gauge of strings. If the guitar was made for 9's, you can go to 10's without worry. However, if you are going to 11's or higher, you may run into a problem with the string binding up in the nut. Makes tuning a real bear. I'd be cautious swapping gauges so far off from the original...

Hi: I am an "old school" player that spent time with Barney Kessel, Herb Ellis, George Benson, Ted green and others. All these older Jazz cats used medium to heavy strings. I use a set that is 14,18,26,36,46,56 on my "sweet 16" and on my "Golden Eagle" and on all my other guitars (18). These guitars were made with these gages in mind and if the guitar is solid it should not be a problem. You'll need a set up and watch for any over-bow at the 12-14th fret area.

Archived