Heritage Owners Club

Isolation Cab's

While I'm waiting for my new amp to arrive, I come to realize just how loud of an amp I am getting myself into. However, watching some NAMM clips, I saw JetCity Amplification had a iso cabinet that allows an amp's volume to reach high levels, but keeps the actual room volume to almost nothing. Thought it might be a good way for me to use my new amp at a break up volume without shaking the house. I'm not about to buy a JCA iso cab, but noticed some youtubers have created homemade cabs. Has anyone tried this or use one today? I am looking for some ideas, plans, or advice. Thanks!

In my room I have a bar. Its 2.5meters long. The room behind the bar is 1meter and the bench top stands 1.1meters of the ground.

Ive never used the bar for its intended purpose. ie standing at and drinking. I normally sit down.

What I have done is make a top that can sit over the bar area and a panel at the end. This give me an isolation room of about 2meters X 1.2m X 1.1m.

It is great for recording. But I seem to do less and less of that.

If I do play electric guitar at home Im more likely to just have the amp sitting pointed at my head. It sounds better than hearing the sound through a mic then desk and then monitors. I thought I would use the iso booth more but I just like hearing/feeling the amp in the room.

What I did like was having a 20w tube amp turned up almost full running through two 212 cabinets with a couple of mics in the booth.

The sound I ended up with after a few mic moves was one of those, "oh, so thats how you get *that* sound recorded" moments.

I really dont use it as a iso booth any more though and the bar area is filled with accumulated family junk.

With an iso box/cab/booth you also need to invest in good mics, leads, a good desk, and good monitors. Otherwise there really is no point.

Archived