Heritage Owners Club

Super Eagle questions

MartyGrass

I have long considered getting a Super Eagle with two mounted pups. I've never played one or a Super 400.

I currently play a 17" 3 1/2" deep archtop quite a bit and it fits pretty well. So I don't think the size would be a problem. Any comments? Is this a bad assumption?

The next question is about difficulty controlling feedback. Does the box size matter much? (No smart ass comments please.)

Lastly, how would a set of HRWs sound on it, especially the bridge location?

I know that very few can answer these questions since almost no one goes for this sized guitar- even Heritage trimmed it down c/w the 400. But I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Just my thoughts

-the bigger guitar size and feedback should be negated somewhat based that the top won't vibrate as much with two top mounted Humbuckers vs a Golden Eagle with a floating pickups

-I am starting actually like the HRW in my Florentine Eagle but I really needed to lower the HRW pup into the body away from the strings. The HRW still is not as transparent or woody sounding as the Seth Lovers in my 575, but changing to flat wound strings on all 3 of my acrchtops has helped bring them tonally closer

- finally, I guess I question the application of anyone using the bridge pup on a Super Eagle????!!!!!! I don't know anyone that uses it. Jay Wolfe told me that Kenny Burrell's Super 400 is stuck/locked to the neck pup. So why did he want a bridge pup in his signature Heritage...... Jay said because he like the tone of the top with two mounted pickups and the decreased feedback it offered with 2 pups even though he only uses the neck pup.

-if you are going to use the neck pup in an archtop ala Alex Skolnick, I would recommend getting a 575 which is more neck pup friendly

Again, these are just my opinions.

I have a Super, with two P-90's, Marty. I wish I was an accomplished jazz guy, but I'm more a jack-of-all-trades...master of none. I don't play my Super Eagle out much, and I plan on changing that. But I have taken The Big Girl out and played jazz(y) stuff and swing with it, and it, of course, is predictably wonderful on the neck p'up! But I've also used it for rock-a-billy, in the middle position, where it will out-Gretsch any Gretsch I've ever played! The middle position is also really cool for chunking little rhythm figures, ala Jimmy Nolen, one of my heroes, who played with James Brown. Feedback can be a concern, however, and I'm currently considering various options to deal with that. If I can make feedback a non-issue, I'll gig that box our more often. People love to see it...quite a conversation starter!

I have a Super, with two P-90's, Marty. I wish I was an accomplished jazz guy, but I'm more a jack-of-all-trades...master of none. I don't play my Super Eagle out much, and I plan on changing that. But I have taken The Big Girl out and played jazz(y) stuff and swing with it, and it, of course, is predictably wonderful on the neck p'up! But I've also used it for rock-a-billy, in the middle position, where it will out-Gretsch any Gretsch I've ever played! The middle position is also really cool for chunking little rhythm figures, ala Jimmy Nolen, one of my heroes, who played with James Brown. Feedback can be a concern, however, and I'm currently considering various options to deal with that. If I can make feedback a non-issue, I'll gig that box our more often. People love to see it...quite a conversation starter!

What do you think of f hole plugs? I forget the guy who makes them based on tracings of your f holes that you send him.

What do you think of f hole plugs? I forget the guy who makes them based on tracings of your f holes that you send him.

Right, Doug's Plugs. Thought about those. Pretty pricey, though...like $60, plus or minus! And, I'm sort of embarrassed to admit this, I was a little concerned they might obscure the f-hole binding, which I think just looks terrific. I have hollow body friends, well...their guitars are, who use balloons, sheet foam, natural sponge, and John Covach has endorsed (silk?) scarves, I think it was.

I just sold my Super Eagle, I stopped playing it because of the size. I am 5' 9" so I am not tiny but not big either but too small for a SE. I did find that the 1 inch increase in size does make a difference. Play an 18" before you buy one if your my size or smaller.

When I sold the guitar there was a question about the pickups, they had 4 mounting tabs which evidently are used with HRW's but when I bought the guitar J. Wolfe told me they were Seth Lovers, maybe they also have 4 mounts too, possibly someone can give the answer to this. I can say that they sounded great though. They were very sensitive to picking intensity in a good way. I did not need to use the volume pot much at all, I could go from a slappy aggressive sound that would start to break up the amp back down to a very quiet and warm tone with my picking hand (fingers too). The volume would change so much with the aggressiveness of my picking it almost seemed like I was using the volume control. I was used to the stock pickups in my Gibby ES, they suck in comparison, not very dynamic at all.

At some point Feedback will be an issue no matter what. However, I did use the guitar in high volume big band settings without a problem but the room was huge. In a small room at low volume I would have problems, the amp and guitar placement is crucial and changes in every room. If you play with horns try to be placed with the horns in front of you, I could feel the vibrations of the horns coming out of the F-holes if they were behind me and if I let go of the top, instant feed back. A good arranger should know this but..... You could have one made without F-holes.

The bridge pick up was fun for me. I used it for blues and fusion stuff. I could really drive the amp for blues solos with it and for fusion type stuff I would use it with the overdrive channel, a chorus and sometimes a wah-wah pedal in the sweet spot and it sounded great.

I'm 5'8" and don't have any issues with the 18 by 3" Super Eagle either sitting or standing. It's a bit ungainlynon the couch and is noticeably bigger than a 17" box. A bigger issue is that most jazz gigs are in such crappy confined spaces it's a real challenge not to bump into things.

My Super has the stock Schallers and I don't have problems with feedback even on loud (for jazz) settings. While I'm planning onswapping for Seth Lovers, the stock pups are fine. I do use the bridge pup for the occasional straight blues, and it's fine for getting a little T Bone or early BB sound despite the flats.

The Super is my favorite guitar. I do try to baby it in the winter and DC summer. As you know, I sold the 575 because the Super always comes out when it's carved top weather. I got an offer for $500 more than Ipaid (despite my adding some serious dings) and turned it downflat. I'm never selling this guitar, period!

The Super is my favorite guitar. I got an offer for $500 more than Ipaid (despite my adding some serious dings) and turned it downflat. I'm never selling this guitar, period!

Testify, Matt! This is what happens when you finally get your hands on one of these things!

I'll be getting my super eagle from Chris sometime tomorrow. I am the opposite. I love playing Les Pauls, P150's and strats in most of my live band situations. I have always wanted to do Jazzier/blues type things and presently have a 575.... The super eagle is something I have always wanted. No problem with making the super eagle look small. I am 6 Foot 8 inches tall. A couple summers ago, I played with my friend's contemporary Christian band around the Michigan area.

He would introduce me as Bob on Mandolin (as I dwarf a les Paul). I will probably look into Doug's Plugs but I like the two pick ups mounted just because based on past experinces, you can get a little more volume vs. Floating, plus I think the acoustic properties of a good archtop with humbuckers is still a pretty sweet sound. I have found that I don't use the bridge pickup on my hollow body, however, I do like the rythym sound of both pickups and the neck by itself it the to die for jazz tone for me...

Can't wait to take the super eagle for a spin.

Even if I just use it for practicing, it has always seemed inspiring to own one...

Archived