Heritage Owners Club

Tone King metro

koula901

Hey kbp810

TK asks for ridiculous amounts of money for their product, I may just be chasing a pipe dream and fooling myself. for now, I'm going to just check it out. Will definitely keep you in mind if I decide to go another route.

So, is push/pull for when one wants to drop the wattage?

Attenuation: I've heard that's bad for amps. Are u not a fan of the pentode/triode switching because that has a potential for failure as well?

Hey kbp810

TK asks for ridiculous amounts of money for their product, I may just be chasing a pipe dream and fooling myself. for now, I'm going to just check it out. Will definitely keep you in mind if I decide to go another route.

So, is push/pull for when one wants to drop the wattage?

Well, in push/pull there is always two sides of power tubes working together... in lower powered amps, there is usually one tube on each side... in higher power amps, there can be two or three tubes on each side (so either 4 or 6 total)

So let's take a 4xEl34 amp as an example... there is two el34's chained together on one side, and two el34's chained together on the other - you have around 100 watts of power. For this power drop... there is a switch added that can cut one of the tubes on each side, so then you are back to one el34 on each side (always has to be an even number to be balanced on each side) - which essentially takes it down to 50 watts.

The 50 watt mode can push the tubes a little harder than usual, but otherwise it doesn't really impact the tone... the only real downside is that you would need a beast of an amp to begin with for that to work :)

I see. Although I love how a 2-12, 100 watt power amp sounds, it would certainly be too heavy, and too much power for me. I'm looking for something that can play bedroom level (2watts?) up to medium sized clubs (22-40 watts), no more than 42 lbs. I like fender clean, but not fender dirty (like EL 84 dirty, or EL 34 (is that marshall?) dirty, orange dirty, buddha dirty, ideally 2 channel. Any suggestions, other than buying several amps? :D Dream big, right!

You seem to have a quite a range of wattage tastes... You sound like you might want an Egnator Rebel that has a control knob that goes from 1w to 20w in a simple lightweight head cab. Not that I'm not going in encourage you to purchase from KBP810, but the Egnator amp also has the ability to switch from EL84 to 6V6's. There is a 20W and a 30W version.

You seem to have a quite a range of wattage tastes... You sound like you might want an Egnator Rebel that has a control knob that goes from 1w to 20w in a simple lightweight head cab. Not that I'm not going in encourage you to purchase from KBP810, but the Egnator amp also has the ability to switch from EL84 to 6V6's. There is a 20W and a 30W version.

Yup, I've seen them, thanks.

Yup, I've seen them, thanks.

There is also a company called Samamp. They build fender like amps that are also wattage adjustable. He calls it Variable Amplitude Clipping control to change the wattage without changing the tone. Really cool, I believe there is a demo of the amp at Steviesnacks.com.. Seems really cool!

Katy, have a look at the Blackstar Series One 45. I think it ticks quite a few of the boxes you've specified above. Plenty of YouTube footage. I'm a fan after playing one a few times over the last six months or so.

I've got a Blackstar or Blackheart 5W heads on my radar. I need a little low wattage amp to go with my extension cab. I want to try the Joe Bonamassa duel amp thing were one amp is dry and the other is wet. Works best with Fenderish and Marshallish combination.... My KBP810 RD and a Blackstar or Blackheart amp should be very close.

Detroit: thanks for referral to Samamp; and, I like your idea about 2 amps, one for fender clean, and one for your Marshall sound. I guess I've been trying to find an amp that'll "do it all". It may be that with one amp, I can only come close.

H: On Blackstar - yes, actually, I am quite intrigued by Blackstar. The vids I heard on You Tube were fantastic!! And made by former Marshall employees, it all makes sense.

I've been re-thinking my desire for the power scaling option, and if I really need to have it. Detroit serves up a good idea in getting a speaker that'll break up early, to get the sounds at lower volume.

Thanks, guys! Lots to consider.

Well, in push/pull there is always two sides of power tubes working together... in lower powered amps, there is usually one tube on each side... in higher power amps, there can be two or three tubes on each side (so either 4 or 6 total)

So let's take a 4xEl34 amp as an example... there is two el34's chained together on one side, and two el34's chained together on the other - you have around 100 watts of power. For this power drop... there is a switch added that can cut one of the tubes on each side, so then you are back to one el34 on each side (always has to be an even number to be balanced on each side) - which essentially takes it down to 50 watts.

The 50 watt mode can push the tubes a little harder than usual, but otherwise it doesn't really impact the tone... the only real downside is that you would need a beast of an amp to begin with for that to work :)

Both my older Marshal JCM900 4102 Dual High Gain and the Mesa Lonestar (original) are set up that way. And yeah, beasts of amps both of them.

I've got a Blackstar or Blackheart 5W heads on my radar. I need a little low wattage amp to go with my extension cab.

Skinslammer's selling a Blackstar HT5 head.

Detroit: thanks for referral to Samamp; and, I like your idea about 2 amps, one for fender clean, and one for your Marshall sound. I guess I've been trying to find an amp that'll "do it all". It may be that with one amp, I can only come close.

H: On Blackstar - yes, actually, I am quite intrigued by Blackstar. The vids I heard on You Tube were fantastic!! And made by former Marshall employees, it all makes sense.

I've been re-thinking my desire for the power scaling option, and if I really need to have it. Detroit serves up a good idea in getting a speaker that'll break up early, to get the sounds at lower volume.

Thanks, guys! Lots to consider.

You're welcome. Just food for thought, but you could buy a blackstar H5 head and a KBP810 and have leftover money to buy another Heritage instead of buying a Tone King :icon_thumright:

Archived