Heritage Owners Club

Victoria Regal ll

Sounds interesting in a science project sort of way: one can experiment with a whole range of different sounds because it will take practically any mix of tubes.

But would a 15" speaker be freakishly boomy for guitar?

Sounds interesting in a science project sort of way: one can experiment with a whole range of different sounds because it will take practically any mix of tubes.

But would a 15" speaker be freakishly boomy for guitar?

Heck no! 15" are awesome. Gives you a lot more bottom end, especially when using single coils. That's why fender makes a Twin Custom 15. Its a Fender twin amp with just a single 15" speaker....

I have heard good things about them but no personal experience. One of the guys in my band said he was going to buy one but has not yet.

Heck no! 15" are awesome. Gives you a lot more bottom end, especially when using single coils. That's why fender makes a Twin Custom 15. Its a Fender twin amp with just a single 15" speaker....

Woa! I'd like to hear one of those with single coils.

My friend Bob Margolin, who played with Muddy Waters, uses a Victoria Regal. Bob, as you might imagine, does the Chicago thing with a vengeance. He uses a mid-fifties Strat, Tele, or Les Paul (really high-mileage guitars!) through it. I've heard Bob a bunch. And the tones he gets out of that amp are just great. Roll the volume off, and it cleans up really nicely. Dig in, and Bob will, and it breaks up in a pretty complex way, but he never loses the fundamental character of whatever guitar is running through it. I've recorded live gigs of his four or five times, and I've been really impressed with that amp! Saw Bob hold his own one night, sitting in with Jimmy Thackery, who's not shy. Jimmy had a couple of 50W boutique amps, I can't remember what, and the Regal held its own. I 'd love to have one.

I've owned mine for a few years now. It's an incredibly versatile amp. The tube switching and mixing capabilities allow for some sweet breakup at low volumes or pretty significant headroom with bigger tubes. I like the combination of one 6L6 and one 6V6, but everything sounds great in it. The 15" speaker is sweet and there's no boom at all. I use mine with single coils (Strat and Heritage Prospect and Sweet 16 with Fralin P-92s.

When you go easy on it, it's very Blackface sounding, but when you push it, the mids all seem to come up first, giving it a very Tweed tonal character. The reverb and trem are sweet.

Highly recommended.

Archived