Heritage Owners Club

New Amp, 18W combo

fxdx99

Found a used 'marshall' sounding amp in the criteria I was looking for (1x12 combo, sub 50lbs). Have only played with it at home so far, so don't have full band/gig experience yet, but can see where this will be a fun li'l guy. Very early 70s marshall sound. Has 2 channels, one very vintage with volume and tone, the 2nd more modern take with an extra gain stage and TMB. Both channels have a 'power scaling' avail to them that works pretty well - at least seems to retain the amps fullness character better than just a master vol or attenuator. Can see running the aby with this to use both channel settings as both have nice sounds to them. Don't think would need a pedal (I personally like that!) as the drive on this amp is really nice. Cleans aren't the fender-like that I'm used to, more of a Hendrix 'Little Wing' rhythm type sound. Which is also nice and very workable.

What's most interesting to me on this amp is it's amount of harmonic overtones - they're really really nice sounding and when driven make it any easy amp to use feedback with. It's a cliche, but the amp really does respond well to guitar volume and pick attack, cleaning up really well as it's reduced. It's good with single coils (tele/strat), but just shines with the 150. What's also interesing is how well the 150 sounds thru it. The 150 I have is a bit brighter than my LP and thru the Allen I prefer the LP. But it's opposite thru the 18 - the 150 just shines thru it. Really excellent sounds in all positions and channels. Doesn't require a lot of dialing in, pretty much a plug and play (which I appreciate).

Not a jazz amp by any means - most all the cleans have a bit of hair on them. I still like fender like amps w/tele and semis, or a tele thru a 5e3 is lots of fun. But a 150 or strat thru the 18 is really a blast (or tele-rock sounds). Looking forward to getting the 150 and it out to a gig to run it thru it's paces.

Pic below there's a youtube vid of a guy putting one thru it's paces w/a tele and sg that I've put below if interested.

R18.jpg

Found a used 'marshall' sounding amp in the criteria I was looking for (1x12 combo, sub 50lbs). Have only played with it at home so far, so don't have full band/gig experience yet, but can see where this will be a fun li'l guy. Very early 70s marshall sound. Has 2 channels, one very vintage with volume and tone, the 2nd more modern take with an extra gain stage and TMB. Both channels have a 'power scaling' avail to them that works pretty well - at least seems to retain the amps fullness character better than just a master vol or attenuator. Can see running the aby with this to use both channel settings as both have nice sounds to them. Don't think would need a pedal (I personally like that!) as the drive on this amp is really nice. Cleans aren't the fender-like that I'm used to, more of a Hendrix 'Little Wing' rhythm type sound. Which is also nice and very workable.

What's most interesting to me on this amp is it's amount of harmonic overtones - they're really really nice sounding and when driven make it any easy amp to use feedback with. It's a cliche, but the amp really does respond well to guitar volume and pick attack, cleaning up really well as it's reduced. It's good with single coils (tele/strat), but just shines with the 150. What's also interesing is how well the 150 sounds thru it. The 150 I have is a bit brighter than my LP and thru the Allen I prefer the LP. But it's opposite thru the 18 - the 150 just shines thru it. Really excellent sounds in all positions and channels. Doesn't require a lot of dialing in, pretty much a plug and play (which I appreciate).

Not a jazz amp by any means - most all the cleans have a bit of hair on them. I still like fender like amps w/tele and semis, or a tele thru a 5e3 is lots of fun. But a 150 or strat thru the 18 is really a blast (or tele-rock sounds). Looking forward to getting the 150 and it out to a gig to run it thru it's paces.

Pic below there's a youtube vid of a guy putting one thru it's paces w/a tele and sg that I've put below if interested.

R18.jpg

Congrats, Randy, and nice review. That 18-watt Marshall vibe is a great sound, and the Reinhardt looks like it adds cool choices, not to mention a very cool look. Must-resist-urge-to ...

Whew... that does do a impressive rock tone. I love amps that have that ability on tap, and no pedals needed.

It seems like it'll do an impressive array of tones once you get used to how to dial it in. Nice crunch , sustain , harmonics.... that seems like a blast.

It seems you have chosen wisely for what you were aiming for.

And yes... beautiful also.

The weight under 50 lbs is impressive.

where can I buy one? Seriously you make this sound absolutely wonderful, good weight, harmonics, a bit of hair on the clean tone, feedback, lessen the pedal load, under 50 lbs, and I like the looks of this one too. can't wait to get home to see the You Tube demo. And as pegleg says, which model?

Very interesting. what model is the one you got Randy?

I got 'The 18' combo, which is the el84 version. There's also the MI6 that's basically the same amp with 6v6 tubes in it. Since I've a bunch of 6v6 amps already, wanted something different.

When the 18w craze hit, Reinhardt went full blown, fixed a few things Marshall should have, and made one of THE BEST 18w clones out there. That one should definitely satisfy the "itch" for a while. Nice score, Randy :icon_thumright:

Great review, Randy. Sounds like an amp I'd be very interested in. I've met Bob Reinhardt. He lives just over the Virginia line, north of me. Great, warm down-to-earth cat. Ken Jones (an HOC member and proud 150 owner, kvamp), who is a good friend, and built and covered the cabs for The Note and Felix, builds and covers all of Bob's cabs, too. Met Bob at Ken's shop...a great place to hang out!

R18.jpg

Schweet!! Maybe I'll go get that Lotto ticket!! :icon_thumright:

Archived