Heritage Owners Club

what's going on with this neck heel???

es125luv

hey all, I am newer to the forum, but am a Heritage fan bigtime... I currently own a H157cm, a H150cm Goldtop, and a H535.

I am looking at another goldtop on ebay, and there is this picture included... it looks like the neck is separating from the body, or has been dropped?

any opinions on this?

width=600 height=399http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/heritageplayer/guitars2067.jpg[/img]

Looks like either too much glue seeped out of the join, or maybe the finish is delaminating at the joint (possibly from too much glue).  But, without it in hand, I don't know that I'd take a chance on it...unless it was bottom-feeder-friendly. :)

Alicia's 157 has a slight interruption of the finish at this spot. It really shows on a white guitar, but the neck joint is fine. It looks (on Alicia's) to be a case of the finish shrinking over an area and splitting.

Are there any shots of the rear of the headstock or the top of the guitar ?

If it was dropped there might be others signs such as hairline cracks to the finish near the end of the fingerboard.

The rear headstock pic is usually the first one I look at when viewing 150 / LP types on ebay etc.

If that angle is not shown then I would be suspicious.

btw Welcome to the HOC and please post pics of your Heritages.

We like to drool around here  ;D

Looks like it is starting to separate to me--or it might be just the joint--I don't know.

Actually, the neck joint on my 137D has lost some of the cherry lacquer in that area as well.  It doesn't really bother me and the neck is stable enough.  I'd like a clearer, closer picture to be sure (actually, I'd still want it in hand), but if it's like mine, then it's not a problem.  I even do the "pull on the headstock" to divebomb thing and haven't had an issue (note: the lacquer was like that when I bought it).  I'll check on the 160V tonight and see if there's delamination on that one as well. 

And, Welcome to the Club!

I'm not clear on what you're (we're) looking at.  Is there an actual hairline crack in the surface of the finish?  That would, I think, be certain cause for worry.  If not, you may very well be OK.

I'm not clear on what you're (we're) looking at.  Is there an actual hairline crack in the surface of the finish?  That would, I think, be certain cause for worry.  If not, you may very well be OK.

Well, what I see is not necessarily a potential crack (would need a better picture for that), but a heel that sure as heck looks like it is not mating with the body properly.  If it's an illusion due to the glue line, well... OK...

But it sure looks like the entire neck is tipped forward towards the body.

It's hard to tell anything for certain from a photo, but it's not all that uncommon for guitars to develop lacquer cracks along the neck joint.  Most of the time they are just the product of differential expansion and contraction because of different wood or grain orientation or thickness, or of bad lacquer adhesion or of "globbing" of lacquer where it can't be easily buffed.  In my experience these cracks are very rarely structural (unless we are talking about an SG, or, as Southpaw suggests, a guitar that has been dropped or slammed into something.)  My 550 has lacquer flaking at the neck joint (along other finish problems) far worse than in this photo, and it's probably the most stable guitar I own as far as staying in tune. 

The solution is what Martin does ...fit the neck joint, mark the body and neck, finish them separately so there is no lacquer adhesion between neck and body (facilitates neck reset and allows both parts to be buffed completely), then remate them later in the assembly process.  I don't know of any other manufacturer who does this. 

From the picture it's difficult to tell. But it kinda looks like the neck has moved.

An obvious thing to check would be the action and bridge height. If the action is high and/or the bridge is very low then be VERY suspicious.

Use "ask seller a question" and be specific about your concerns. If he lies then you may have recourse should you buy it.

It's hard to tell anything for certain from a photo, but it's not all that uncommon for guitars to develop lacquer cracks along the neck joint.  Most of the time they are just the product of differential expansion and contraction because of different wood or grain orientation or thickness, or of bad lacquer adhesion or of "globbing" of lacquer where it can't be easily buffed.  In my experience these cracks are very rarely structural (unless we are talking about an SG, or, as Southpaw suggests, a guitar that has been dropped or slammed into something.) 

Thanks for the knowing elaboration, 111.  My reference to a hairline crack in the lacquer as cause for concern should have characterized the crack as possibly a symptom or indicator, rather than the disease.  I was busy and at work...not a good post.  Thanks for your clarification!

hey all, I am newer to the forum, but am a Heritage fan bigtime... I currently own a H157cm, a H150cm Goldtop, and a H535.

I am looking at another goldtop on ebay, and there is this picture included... it looks like the neck is separating from the body, or has been dropped?

any opinions on this?

width=600 height=399http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/heritageplayer/guitars2067.jpg[/img]

Nice Gold Top but $1800.00 I would ask for extra photos and tell him to shoot you a photo of the other side of the cutout Neck to body tell him to photo it outside in daylight you have concers about this and would like to be sure it is not just a photo flaw as I see it is a little blury.

I never would.

The FUNNY thing is that they claim to be a heritage dealer, bigorangeguitars, which looks to be true via the web, but c'mon...

there should be a DRASTIC discount on this one!!!

Archived