Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Used Market Dried Up?

golferwave

Has anyone else noticed that the number of used Heritages on eBay and other sites has dried up?  There hasn't been a used H-150 on eBay for almost two weeks now. It looks like everyone has heard about the turmoil at the plant.  comments?

You don't sell in an uncertain market.  Buy, maybe.  Sell, no.  So, the sellers are watching and waiting...

I can say one thing for certain: I bought now because of the changes going on.  I mean, I was planning on getting a 535 again at SOME point, but I almost never buy new and (almost certainly) take the depreciation.  However, I was worried this would become a situation like with Parker where the pre-US Music corp models are clearly superior to the post-sale models (I knew I should have kept mine! :( ).  Not saying that will happen to Heritage, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Grayta is right...buy on the way down, sell on the way up.  Of course, most Americans (dont' know about furriners) go the other way and buy on the way up only to sell on the way down.  Then they wonder why they lose money.  But, that's only tangentially related. ;)  I think I got extremely lucky with my (first edition) 137D score, and the price on the Milly DC was good.  I wish I had had more caish monies in the guitar fund so I could've snapped up a couple of other guitars that were floating around (an H157 included...bummer), but hey, them's the breaks. 

However, I was worried this would become a situation like with Parker where the pre-US Music corp models are clearly superior to the post-sale models (I knew I should have kept mine! Sad ).  Not saying that will happen to Heritage, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Even if quality goes through the roof, I am willing to bet that there will always be some sort of cachet associated with the "pre-shutdown" guitars.  Someone will start playing it as "the last guitars where the original G-word guys were directly involved" or some-such and it'll take off.  At least, I hope so. ;)

At least, I hope so. ;)

Me, too.  A few hundred bucks isn't going to break me, but it'll annoy me a bit if the market settles all the way back down and a really nice 535 can be had for $1200 (or less) and I just had plunk down eighteen for a new one.  :o

Ehhh, s'only money-right?  ;D

"Even if quality goes through the roof, I am willing to bet that there will always be some sort of cachet associated with the "pre-shutdown" guitars.  Someone will start playing it as "the last guitars where the original G-word guys were directly involved" or some-such and it'll take off.  At least, I hope so."

Heck Dick, If we want it to be true it will be true.  Since we have pre-shutdown guitars the newbies will look at our guitars as the "guitars of the gods!"  Let it be said, let it be written.  ;) 

Buy It Now we'll include a nylon guitar strap, an extra set of Ernie Ball Pure Nickel Slinky strings, some Fender picks, and a pick holder! Thanks for looking and good luck!

So,  that's all worth $60?  ???

Gorgeous top, though! I'm looking for an H150, too! But I don't think I need TWO guitars with HRWs!

Buy it thundersteel and I'll trade you the SD 59's out of mine.

Sorry, but I never really cared for the '59s. Now if you had the Seth Lovers................

BUT--I do have that H150 on my "Ebay watch" list. It's tempting, though I think the price is a little too high at the moment.

I have also noticed that the used market on these guitars has been a little quiet lately.  And this is the case not only on ebay, but among dealers as well.  Once you get past the rich supply of Heritages that Jay Wolfe has, there aren't too many more dealers with a lot of these guitars, and the jazz boxes are especially scarce.

I was looking for leftys the other day, there's actually a nice recent one on the Gruhn site for $1,200.00

http://www.gruhn.com/

Somebody (I'm at my limit) should pick it up.

oh, I am tempted, but I'm really holding out for something further from my h158.... maybe with p90's ? ;D

From my observations, the used market for Heritages have always been fairly slim.  That is especially the case with the more hight end models.  People just seem to hold onto Heritages.  Maybe it's because they made a conscious choice NOT to purchase a similar instrument from 'G____' or other makers.  Maybe its because buyers can pretty much custom order exactly what they want in a guitar in the first place, not a compromise.  New Heritages have always been a great value, and used, an even greater value.

I do agree that the current market availability is extremely slim for nice Heritages.  As was stated previously, customers don't buy in an uncertain market.  We'll see if things 'loosen up' after Heritage, Inc. settles back down to business and production comes back on-line. 

Archived