Heritage Owners Club

best guitar interface for Garageband?

tsp17

According to my guitar teacher, you don't need one. You just need this special guitar cord and jack i you are only recording your guitar. If you are interested, let me know and I'll dig up the info for you.

If you are planning on doing multiple instruments, vocals, etc then it all depends on how much money you have to spend.

You wont get great results plugging straight into the mac - it's internal A/D converter are ok but not the best. Also there's no preamp so the signal level is very low. To get best results you'll want an external interface. I asked the same thing about 8 or 9 months ago and got more recommendations for the Apogee Duet than just about all other interfaces combined. It aint cheap, but it's good. I've heard mixed reviews on the m-audio stuff. Some say it offers great bang-for-the-buck, others say their drivers suck and can cause problems in the system.

My Boss Multi-effects has a USB interface that works well. You can get one of those for less than $200. There may be some other makes and models the offer the same for less $.

You wont get great results plugging straight into the mac - it's internal A/D converter are ok but not the best. Also there's no preamp so the signal level is very low. To get best results you'll want an external interface. I asked the same thing about 8 or 9 months ago and got more recommendations for the Apogee Duet than just about all other interfaces combined. It aint cheap, but it's good. I've heard mixed reviews on the m-audio stuff. Some say it offers great bang-for-the-buck, others say their drivers suck and can cause problems in the system.

Thanks, you weren't kidding about "not cheap". I think i'll try the new $99 version. it has gotten good reviews. limited application, but it is a starting point.

Hey- do you live in San diego? If so- me too.

I have been using the M-Audio Fast Track Pro $199 . It works OK for what I do and drives my desktop JBL monitors. But it seems like every time my mac software does an update, it stops working until I download new drivers :icon_scratch:

I use the Apogee Duet (got mine of ebay for about $ 400)...Also, a M Audio Fast track Pro or an M Audio (name escapes me)- However, if you have a need for one of the M Audio device's PM me...I may be able to save you some $

The line 6 gx, ux1, and ux2 are great interfaces for guitar plus come with small version of pod farm which will give you better tones then the amps in garageband. It will also function as your sound card, like most interfaces, so you will get much better audio then the standard audio out on your mac. You just plug your speakers into this instead of your mac. The version of pod farm it comes with will give you much more to use then the other solutions and the gx is only $100. Garageband is limited to 24bit 44.1k audio anyway so I wouldn't spend a ton of money until you get some more experience and see what your long term needs are. I think you would be much better served by getting the gx and spending any other funds you have on monitors.

Also, a little garageband tip that doesn't seem to get much press is the metric halo channel strip plugin is only $50 for garageband use only. This will come in VERY handy down the road when you start recording your band. If you ever go to logic or any other daw you can upgrade to the every daw version for it's price less then 50 you already spent. That's the only difference in the product - the 50 version will work with garageband only.

When you need more inputs to start recording your band the smaller focusrite interfaces like the pro24 are really good project interfaces, add the behringer ada8000 to it and you have 10 mic plus 2 line inputs to get you going and even after the gx and plugin you should still be somewhere in the $5-600 range. That's for new prices, go used and save some more for the mics, cables, stands, and all the other stuff that REALLY starts adding up. You will still be able to use pod farm for your guitar and bass tracks plus have a couple mic pre sims to fool around with. You can do/learn a lot with garageband fairly inexpensively and upgrade the pieces you need to as you hit their limits. Garageband does have an 8 track recording at once limit but it's 8 stereo tracks so a stereo overhead is 1 track. It's easy enough to work around with most kits.

Archived