Heritage Owners Club

Twinstack (aka tonestack) mod on Blues Jr.

Blunote

While I have not done the mod (nor owned a BJ), a friend had taken his tweed BJ and did a BillM mod kit to it. He said the best way to explain the mod was "taking a veil" off the amp. He said the stock model sounded a bit muffled, but the mod kit opened it up.

I've done most of them myself to mine. Highly recommend them. I assume you have checked out Bill's Site. Everything you want to know about a Blues Jr. The tone stack mod is one of the easisest, cheapest and most beneficial of the lot IMHO.

I sent my Blues Junior in for the full deal, all the mods including the upgraded output transformer. I also upgraded the stock speaker to an Eminence Texas Heat. The boxiness is no longer there, and it sounds great, and gets quite loud for a 15 watter. With everything I've done, there is no way I could recoup nearly the amount of money I have wrapped up into the amp, but I have no intention of selling it, either. Actually, I bought mine for around $300 4 or 5 years ago, so, including the mods, I guess I'm not that far off from what they are going for new now. Long story short, you won't be disappointed if you do the mods. Big improvement.

I had the tonestack mod done last month when I had my amp in for repair. It's hard to do an A/B comparison once you soldered something in place, but I've noticed a pretty remarkable difference and wanted to hear if others have noticed it and how they'd describe the change.

I'd suggest finding a used standard BJ. The new ones have some minor mod's that aren't worth the extra $100 Fender is charging and the tweed covering is not worth it either. I wish they made that amp in a head.

I agree a used Blues Junior (I just can't bring myself to call them a BJ) is the way to go. $500 for an unmodded one?! Come on, Fender. As for the head version, the chassis comes out quite easily, twist 4 screws and out it comes. I'm sure you know someone with some woodworking skills that could easily turn that dream into a reality. Really, a Strat into a modded Blues Junior, sounds great.

I agree a used Blues Junior (I just can't bring myself to call them a BJ) is the way to go. $500 for an unmodded one?! Come on, Fender. As for the head version, the chassis comes out quite easily, twist 4 screws and out it comes. I'm sure you know someone with some woodworking skills that could easily turn that dream into a reality. Really, a Strat into a modded Blues Junior, sounds great.

Ya, I might know a guy. Too bad I've been endorsing his amps, he would have the time. I haven't heard a Fender amp that doesn't sound good with a Fender guitar!

I sent my Blues Junior in for the full deal, all the mods including the upgraded output transformer. I also upgraded the stock speaker to an Eminence Texas Heat. The boxiness is no longer there, and it sounds great, and gets quite loud for a 15 watter. With everything I've done, there is no way I could recoup nearly the amount of money I have wrapped up into the amp, but I have no intention of selling it, either. Actually, I bought mine for around $300 4 or 5 years ago, so, including the mods, I guess I'm not that far off from what they are going for new now. Long story short, you won't be disappointed if you do the mods. Big improvement.

Schundog, I'm curious. Does your Blues Jr breakup very easily since having the mods installed? I've noticed, especially after my last mod which was the Heyboer out put transformer, I get very early breakup. I'm thinking that the stock Jensen speaker (C12N made in Italy) isn't up to the task anymore. I've heard great things about the Texas Heat in this application and Eminence speakers don't break the bank.

I'd give it a shot, Pete. Like you said, it's an inexpensive speaker, and I don't think I get early breakup; volume on 4 or so, master as much as cranked all the way. Fat switch must be off, of course, or you will get breakup. Also, I think BillM recommends different preamp tubes for more headroom; I BELIEVE he suggests 12AT7 (?) tubes for this, but I'd double check that. I never switched mine, as I was pleased with the tone. Let me know what you decide!

Brian, would you say you could play a small club with the blue jr?

Brian, would you say you could play a small club with the blue jr?

Well, Katy, I'm sure SOMEONE could play a small club w/ a Blues Junior, but no one would want it to be me! haha. Seriously, Absolutely. I've seen unmodded one's pull it off, but either way, it sounds best if mic-ed up through the P.A. For that matter, I have a friend who has done gigs with his 9 piece (yes, 9) band, playing through his mic-up up Super Champ XD. They are another totally underrated amp, although the long term quality remains to be seen. I have one of these, too, and it is a great little amp. I never thought I'd be pleased with the tone of a 10" speaker, especially when trying to keep up with a drummer, but it does a pretty good job. True story: My buddies and I were jamming in my basement one night this summer, my friend on lead, I think through my Classic 30, and me on Rhythm on the Blues Junior. He was obviously louder, but I could easily hear myself in the mix. We always end our jams with Freebird, and we were 2/3 through it when my neighbor came over apologetically asking us if we could turn down, as his little one's couldn't get to sleep! I know I couldn't have been 1/2 way up, but we did have a small 8 inch window open, so it must have been too loud IN HIS HOUSE, as he chuckled about it later, saying HE was bobbing his head to Freebird, but his wife sent him over to shut us down! haha. So yes, loud enough, for sure.

Brian,

Ah, must give Super Champ XD another look. Thanks for the tip off.

Here's a cool website I found on settings for the Super Champ XD:

http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=245

I had a Super Champ XD. Another great sounding amp and the source of around 2 dozen recordings I've made with KBP810 and other friends. The only, and I mean the only reason I got rid of the amp was because I "thought" I needed a higher wattage amp when I joined a band last year. I bought a Peavey VK on a Friday, amp went bad right away, took it back on Monday and they sold my Superchamp before I could get it back. The SCXD has a lot of great features and tones on it that give you almost any tone you're looking for with a cover band. I really loved that amp. But I've moved on to bigger and better things with my K-RD amp.

On the used market, you can get one for less than $200. A guy on Ebay has replacement cabs so you can get a 12" speaker instead. One of KBP810's first projects was making a 1x12 extension cab for the amp. Worked out great. Fit perfectly below the amp so I didn't need a stand for it. If you get the amp, the only modification recommended by BillM is to just replace the speaker.

I'm not a tweaker, So I always buy something that I already like the tone of, not something I don't like and then try to fix it..Man I'm crabby today.. As always my 2 cents and YMMV.. By the way I traded my BJ (there I said it) for my Classic 30..The Peavey kicks the junior's proverbial butt..

I'm not a tweaker, So I always buy something that I already like the tone of, not something I don't like and then try to fix it..Man I'm crabby today.. As always my 2 cents and YMMV.. By the way I traded my BJ (there I said it) for my Classic 30..The Peavey kicks the junior's proverbial butt..

I thought my Valveking was awesome, but I was really concerned with it going bad. I had tried two other Valvekings that kept blowing the 1st preamp tube. From everything I could find, once the amp starting do it, there was no fixing it. That concerned me when owning an amp for the long term which is why I chose a KBP810. The components are easier to replace and troubleshoot (at least by a tech, not by me).

Archived