Heritage Owners Club

Strapless (due to Button-less-ness)

schley

Oh, yeah about the 20000$- I may have been exaggerating - maybe not...  dude drives a limo for a living , so it seems odd that he would have that - but waht do I know - maybe I'm in the wrong line of work!

Let's say it was a well-worn, patina-ed gold top with soapbar pickups - so it could be a 3k-4k custom shop relic- or I guess it coulda been a re-issue from the 70's , worth about 4k$,  I think it had a trapeze tailpiece, which if it were a real 52 could put it up near 10k$ .

c.o'd

whew, everybody at the blues jam seemed sullen. Must've been a lunar thing. And the guy was there without his  gold top Les Paul ... turns out it was a real '53 ! ..... so i guess that is about 10k$! I'm betting he also has a firearm on his person ...  :police:

whew, everybody at the blues jam seemed sullen. Must've been a lunar thing. And the guy was there without his  gold top Les Paul ... turns out it was a real '53 ! ..... so i guess that is about 10k$! I'm betting he also has a firearm on his person ...  :police:

a real '53.....try $50,000 +  ;D

i bet it was SWEET

a real '53.....try $50,000 +  ;D

i bet it was SWEET

I need a new blue book for this kind of thing. where do you get this info ? I think my price guide said the trapeze tailpiece were worth less.

I need a new blue book for this kind of thing. where do you get this info ? I think my price guide said the trapeze tailpiece were worth less.

you could be right, i am by far, no expert on vintage guitars, i just ASSUMED ;D  because it was so old it would be big bucks?  arent '59 burst worth like $500,000? ???

We've kicked this vintage thing around here before, fairly recently.  Kuz'll be happy to tell you the myriad reasons why he unloaded his '65 335.  Lots of players will argue very intelligently against guitars as investments.  Many of us have owned things we'd be glad to have back now...just to sell for the cash at current prices.  Many will describe "investment" model and year instruments they've owned, and how they were scarcely playable.  I don't intend to open all that up again.  But since you brought it up, a little current market pricing.  These instruments are all currently for sale at Rumbleseat Music, in Ithaca, New York.  These are their on-line catalog prices:  '55 P-90 Goldtop - $82K; '57 Humbucker Goldtop - 115K; '58 Humbucker Goldtop - $165K; and of course, a '59 'Burst...gulp...$350K.

Re: the trapeze tailpiece (which the strings actually wrapped under) '52...lotta problems there.  I had one for a while which was OK, though.  They went to a wraparound stop tailpiece sometime in '53, and then the Tune-O-Matic sometime in '55.   

Just for comparison, a '53 trapeze at Lark Street for 16.5 g's, in latest Vintage Guitar (p. 79)

Sold my '52, a cosmetic Tammy Faye Baker, but great player with wonderful tone, for 3.5K about ten years ago.            :happy5:

yeah, well I realize this thread was really about strap buttons and straplocks and where to put them. i just couldn't help relay watching this rare g-word hit the floor that same day.

In all honesty it sounded fine, but not like a million bucks. It's the operator, not the owner. This is why I love Heritage though- for me they are about  'playing' - most people won't go all ga-ga about a Heritage becasue they haven't heard of them. So it's about playing. I orderd my Heritage with minimal appointments- no gold, no inlays . i just wanted a real good player.

I will say that my 158 strap button got loose real quick- within the first yr- - toothpick thing solved it .

AS far as guitars as investments ...... nah . I tell my girlfriend they are, unlike her shoes, capable of at least retaining their purchase price- and that's enough for me..... though my 158 new was 1650$ and I'd be lucky to get 1400$ for it now.

This is why I love Heritage though- for me they are about  'playing' - most people won't go all ga-ga about a Heritage becasue they haven't heard of them. So it's about playing. I orderd my Heritage with minimal appointments- no gold, no inlays . i just wanted a real good player.

...my 158 new was 1650$ and I'd be lucky to get 1400$ for it now.

That's right, that's right, cod65....  I refer you to my "signature."                    :icon_thumright:

Archived