Heritage Owners Club

Strapless (due to Button-less-ness)

schley

So I got my Eagle Classic from Wolfe! (You'll get pics when I can get into PhotoBucket, but that's another issue that I've addressed in another thread.) It's GREAT, BUT there's no strap button! Somehow, I hadn't thought about this as I've never had this type of guitar before. (And no one from Wolfe brought it up, which kind of irritates me, but whatever.) So now I've done a little research and it seems I have some options. I checked out some comparable used guitars, and it LOOKS like some people don't install a strap button AT ALL! To each his own, but playing guitar is one of those things I'd rather not do sitting down. The other buttonless option would be to tie the strap to the headstock. I can see doing that with a guitar made from a cigar box and a 2x4, but a Heritage Eagle Classic??? Not so much.

Then there's the suggestion from Heritage's website of an alternate strap button placement:

width=485 height=480http://www.heritageguitar.com/Strap%20Button%20location%20for%202nd%20Strap%20Button%20-%20JAZZ%20Thick%20Body.jpg[/img]

Any opinions on this? Kinda looks to me like it'd be in the way. I'd really rather not put 50 holes in my guitar to figure out what I like best.

Also, I found this site (http://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper0605.htm) that I think (?) someone linked to from another thread in this forum. Can't find the thread now. Anyway, does anyone know of any other "locking" type devices that work with the "strap jack" style of endpin?

thanks

off topic, but that reminds me of last weekend's blues jam at Skip's Tavern-

saw a guy drop a G-word  Gold-top that was probably worth 10-20k . He was real lucky and only got some scratches, but man he was pale and shaky after that. :wink: 

Maybe not before he dropped his guitar, but definitely afterwards!  8)

yeak

Is it possible to have "the blues", but also have a $20,000 guitar?

I hear ya. I feel odd enough at that jam sometime with a 1600$ Heritage- and I would cry if I broke it  like that , believe me

Waht really gets me is the 'relic' trend over at G-word  ..... we should make it clear that Heritage should never , ever even consider doing this ......  not that I think they would ..... it's the dumbest trend ever...

hmmmmm. maybe it was a 'relic-ed' gold-top and not waht i thot it was .

yeak

I hear ya. I feel odd enough at that jam sometime with a 1600$ Heritage- and I would cry if I broke it  like that , believe me

Waht really gets me is the 'relic' trend over at G-word  ..... we should make it clear that Heritage should never , ever even consider doing this ......   not that I think they would ..... it's the dumbest trend ever...

AMEN! EARN YOUR JEAN HOLES!

That's some pretty wood.  I will be glad to get this guitar through the break in period for you.

Schley:

Beautiful Eagle Classic.  I think the custom versions of these guitars as ordered by Jay are great guitars and great values ... I have one with a floater and split blocks, also almondburst (though your picture looks like osb?).  Yours has a particularly gorgeous back. 

It's standard for archtops to not have factory installed buttons.  (Also true for top-of-the-line acoustics).

I think the advice on the Heritage site is excellent ...it's pretty much as you would locate the button on an acoustic.  I use a thin strap with a shoulder pad on my archtops, so it minimizes the interference of the strap at the heel, and I've never had a problem.  If you are concerned, I'd just experiment: play all your favorite stuff up the neck while watching your left hand.  If you ever come in contact with the lower section of the neck heel ...put the button on the back, and get one of those dunlop straplock disks so the guitar doesn't fall off the strap when it flops over. 

Bentrocks is right about predrilling with the recommended pilot bit, and follow the sites recommendation about soaping the screw. Screwing into maple is not the same as mahogany or alder.  I use a little leather washer between the button and the wood --then, if the next guy wants to remove the button, all you have to do is fill the screw hole --the button itself won't mar the finish (and it looks cool, to boot.) 

I've never worried too much about the tail end of my strap coming loose, cause of the way the strap pulls there and because the jack of the cable serves as a "button extender."  That said, the device you picture looks like it would work --sort of like the dunlop disc, but designed for jacks. 

Welcome to HOC. 

..... I'd just experiment: play all your favorite stuff up the neck while watching your left hand.  If you ever come in contact with the lower section of the neck heel ...put the button on the back,

That alternate button position would drive me crazy.  I would be knocking my hand continuously.  I like the way my 535s leans forward when I play. 

First of all, congrats on a beautiful guitar.  I just got my new GE a couple of weeks ago, and Ren put the strap button in the position pictured on the left of the example.  That is where 5 out of 6 of mine are on Heritages, and the balance is best there for me.  I had one tech but it in the other position on one of my 16's and I don't like it at all.  But on trans amber especially it willjust be there forever.  Just my two cents ..Everyone is different...Vince

Nice guitar and welcome.

1. I had Heritage install my strap buttons on my HFT445. 

2. But I'm really stuck wondering why anyone in their right mind would take a 20,000 guitar to a blues jam at a tavern?

Man, that's insane.

I have a hard time taking my Millie to a jam in a friend's basement.  There are just to many things to bang into..

Have a great week everyone. 

Schley,

I gave you your second Karma point for your "earn your jean holes" comment. I have felt that way as well. Especially for those people who actually buy $150 pair of jeans with pre holes in them. Same goes for new guitars. Used guitars, you get what you get.

...I'm really stuck wondering why anyone in their right mind would take a 20,000 guitar to a blues jam at a tavern?

Man, that's insane.

I read that Christopher Guest had a bunch of near-misses care of John Belushi. They were doing the National Lampoon stage show "Lemmings" together around 1972. Belushi would throw himself all over the stage doing Joe Cocker (and plenty of drugs, of course) and somehow never QUITE hit Guest's guitars. Apparently one night Belushi fell off the stage while holding what Guest describes as "a twenty-thousand-dollar guitar". But he landed on his feet and the guitar was unharmed.

I don't know if Guest is saying that 20 grand is the CURRENT value of the guitar or its value in 1972. Either way, he REALLY should have known better! It was just a stupid COMEDY show. It wouldn't have been any better or worse with some hunk-a-junk from Montgomery Ward.

yeah, I love the look of those heritage jazzboxes. My 158 is like a little kid next to those big fatties. Do you guys  play strictly jazz with stuff like this ? I would like to get another hollow/semihollow someday, but I'm not a jazz tradiitonalist per se. I'd like to see what an eagle can do at a blues jam tho. :wink: I've been playing pretty clean thru the house fender amps, but went through some fellows' 'boutique' amp and had a great time  with the 158- all kinds of nice harmonics and feedback and not too hard to keep it under control.

I'm not a big Nugent fan, but apreciate how he could play a semihollow G-word in a stadium and stuff.

Oh, yeah about the 20000$- I may have been exaggerating - maybe not...  dude drives a limo for a living , so it seems odd that he would have that - but waht do I know - maybe I'm in the wrong line of work!

Let's say it was a well-worn, patina-ed gold top with soapbar pickups - so it could be a 3k-4k custom shop relic- or I guess it coulda been a re-issue from the 70's , worth about 4k$,  I think it had a trapeze tailpiece, which if it were a real 52 could put it up near 10k$ .

I hope he comes back tonight- gonna go up there now to rock.. gnite fellers. enjoy your boxes ! they is meant to be played!

c.o'd

Do you guys  play strictly jazz with stuff like this ?

Not me, no. I kinda feel like if I'm playing stuff that's easy to categorize, I'm doing something horribly wrong. (In other words, I'm a terrible player who tries to pass off my incompetence as innovation.)

per drill and defiantly soap that hole, (you will need to drop the blue jeans) 

I would have sworn it was Gojo! 

We got a lot of bad weather here last night too.  The wind today has the lights blinking. 

yeah, I love the look of those heritage jazzboxes.  Do you guys  play strictly jazz with stuff like this ? I would like to get another hollow/semihollow someday, but I'm not a jazz tradiitonalist per se. I'd like to see what an eagle can do at a blues jam tho. :wink:c.o'd

I don't love just the look!  My 576 wails; great tone, sings, barks, growls; plays wonderfully; and no one else at a jam shows up with anything like it!  When I play out with the band, people just sort of gape at it...like they can't reconcile how it looks with what comes out of it  "Strictly jazz"?  Nah!  A little faux jazz, maybe.  Mostly Chicago and Delta blues, a little swing, some Rockabilly now and then....  Can't wait   to baptize my Super Eagle playing out!  Shouldn't be too long, now!  Sitting, in a tie and suitcoat, playing "Autumn Leaves"...probably not!

Archived