Heritage Owners Club

lollar imperials in a 535, report

bolero

I put a set of Lollar imperial's into my 535, I think they are a much better match that the seth neck/pearly gates bridge that I had in there

haven't really been able to play it much until today though

I stuck a roland r05 in front of the cab & tried to remember how "crossroads" goes...kinda ugly but at least you can get an idea of what it sounds like

http://www.bolero.comyr.com/misc/cross.mp3

thx!!

I know it's not the best recording, but figured I'd post it anyway

I have a set in a G 135 as well, and that sounds great too

right now my pup preferences are

1. throbak

2. wolfetone

3. lollar

but to be honest, there is not much between them!!

Thanks for this audio sample Bo.

It helps me come to a decision about which Pups to replace the existing SD 59's on my H150 (recently purchased right here on the HOC from Marty Grass).

I love overdrive which the 59's excell at but, I want a sweeter, woodier tone first.

So I am presently evaluating replacement Pups.

Fralins (which I have on my Strat) Seth Lovers, Lollars and even Stu-mac's Parson Street Golden Age pups. Btw, does anyone have any knowledge/experience with these?

In '66 I bought a '59 LP Standard (for $20, really) and had it for some 15 years, another familiar lament, but I have never gotten the sound out of my system.

And so my quest for that sound continues.

Any recomendations?

I read somewhere on the HOC that the Stu Mac Golden Age pups are made in China. Aren't the Seths an aproximation of the old Gibson humbuckers? They may get you close to your old LP.. Lots of experts here I'm still pretty cluless in these matters

my faves for LP are Wolfetone Legend's

I haven't tried Throbak's in a LP yet but I'm sure they would be up there as well....but they're more expensive too

if I have time I'll record some clean clips, those were just a cranked amp & me noodling away pretending to be in Cream

bolero, in what form did you have to have your sound clip, before you could incorporate it into a post, here? does it have to be and mp3 or some other format?

Can anyone provide me a link or links, that compares any combination of the following pups; Lollars Imperials, Lollar Peter Green Imperials, SD SH-4 JB, SD S Lover, Lindy Fralin Humbucker's?

Or personal observations of/between those pups also.

Quite a task and I appreciate any help?

There are sound clips for the Seymore Duncan pups as well as tone charts at the Seymore Duncan website;

www.seymourduncan.com

Thanks Gasguy.

I am aware of SD's soundclips and I have compared clips and they do help. I was hoping for some additional comparisons. At $300 (+-)a pair, I want to make the right choice.

I have tried Throbaks, Tom Shorts, Lollar Imperials, Seth Lovers, HRWs, and Peter Florence pickups.

I have tried to love other pickups....BUT the Throbaks are worth the extra $100 PERIOD!!!

I have to rank these:

1. Throbaks (by a wide margin)

2. Peter Florence (bridge pup is incredible, neck pup is a little darker)

3. Lollar Imperials (close to Peter Florence pups except PF bridge is better and Lollar neck is not quite as dark as PF neck)

4. Tom Shorts (a great buy for the money, very close to Seths in performance except the bridge pup isn't as "ice pick piercing)

5. Seth Lovers (Great neck pup slightly better than Tom Shorts, Seths bridge has too much high-end ice pick)

6. HRWs (great for archtops for that clear, clean Hi-Fi sound, but horrible if you want to hear any of your wood from solid or semi-solid bodies)

I just bought a used set of Throbaks and put them in my Terry McInturff Carolina Custom. It had the Peter Florence pups in it. WOW, the neck pups is AMAZING and the bridge is classic PAF. I think I am going to go TOTAL Throbaks (I have them in my 555 Custom & Greeny 150, and now in my TM Carolina) in all my Humbucker guitars.... so you guys might be able to get some good deals on my other boutique humbuckers!!!!!

Thanks for this audio sample Bo.

It helps me come to a decision about which Pups to replace the existing SD 59's on my H150 (recently purchased right here on the HOC from Marty Grass).

I love overdrive which the 59's excell at but, I want a sweeter, woodier tone first.

So I am presently evaluating replacement Pups.

Fralins (which I have on my Strat) Seth Lovers, Lollars and even Stu-mac's Parson Street Golden Age pups. Btw, does anyone have any knowledge/experience with these?

In '66 I bought a '59 LP Standard (for $20, really) and had it for some 15 years, another familiar lament, but I have never gotten the sound out of my system.

And so my quest for that sound continues.

Any recomendations?

Okay, I will go ahead and qualify what I am going to say with the fact that mine is just one man's opinion, but that said, I also firmly believe that in order to find what you are looking for in any pickup, it takes some real investment of your time, living with that pickup and tweaking its height, adjusting pole-pieces, experimenting with different strings, swapping out capacitors, using different amps, and playing it for a few weeks so that it weathers your changing moods, etc. The type of guitar will of course make a difference, as well.

I make no claim of being an expert, but in twenty-nine years of playing (and about eighteen of those tinkering, setting up, etc.) I've tried to arrive at some helpful generalizations--at least for myself.

My experience with neck humbuckers, specifically, is that I have tried these:

1. Lollar Imperial

2. Duncan Seth Lover

3. Duncan Jazz

4. StewMac Parsons Street (with Alnico II magnet)

5. Gibson '57 Classic

6. Heritage HRW

7. GFS Mini-humbucker

8. The stock humbucker in a Tribute G&L Bluesboy "Tele"

9. Fralin "Unbucker"

To keep this short, I'll just give a quick run-down for each.

1. Lollar: Stale. Dynamic range was very narrow. Worked with it and worked with it and worked with it.

Just not exciting at all. Sort of like a Gibson '57 Classic without the "body" to the sound. Had it in an archtop.

2. Seth Lover: Have tried this one in several guitars over the years. Love the top end for sweet, woody, smokey jazz, but the bottom

end just seems too diffuse for chord-melody work. Very responsive to adjustments.

3. Duncan Jazz: The surprise to me of this group. Came stock in a guitar that I use for all kinds of genres from rock, blues, jazz, etc.

Had tried this one in an archtop years ago, and took it out soon b/c is was too bright and biting. In my current guitar, it truly

handles various styles very well, and retains a lot of detail and complexity, and can be smooth and warm.

4. StewMac Parsons Street: Fell in love with these last year. To me, slightly more focused than the Seth Lover, but similar. Need to

raise bass pole-pieces a bit to bring out good clarity with them. Will likely have one of these again in the future. Great overall

pickup. If they are made in China, then it's my impression that they're made with StewMac's components, which are quality.

5. Gibson '57 Classic: The ubiquitous stock pickup that comes in a lot of new Gibsons. Have had this one in a few guitars over the

years. Dark, balanced, sweet sound, which would seem to limit it to blues or jazz. Had one in an ES-135 and it just sounded--

really great--for that guitar. Can get muddy in the bass in a Les Paul-style guitar, though. Not my top pick, but a good choice for

smoothness and sweetness.

6. Heritage HRW: Had this one in an H575 spruce archtop. "Balanced" and "Hi-Fi" come to mind. Sweet but leaning toward the

bright side, to my ears.

7. GFS Mini: Another surprise. Received in a "partscaster" guitar. I've found it to be great for jazz, with some adjustments. Nice,

sweet top with just enough clarity (but complexity) in the bottom for a variety of styles. Have played this one out a recorded it and

have been pleased with the results.

8. G&L AS4250B: had this one on a Tribute for about a year. Worked with it and got it to sound very much like I wanted it to. Really

impressed me with its balance, clarity, smoothness, warmth, etc. That said, I think that it was also well-matched to that guitar.

Could rock out, speak jazz and fusion. Makes me think about looking for one of these again.

9. Fralin: Nice, clean, "Well-behaved" sound. Good for people who play jazz through a completely clean amp without the little bit of

grit that others prefer. Don't think that they were well-matched to the guitar that were installed in.

At this point, I'm curious myself about others like Duncan's Antiquity, Gibson's Burstbucker #1, and then there's the "boutiques." I'm happy exploring the off-the-shelfs though, for now.

Greg

I have Sheptone Tributes in my 96 H150 and they sound great! I was think about Antiquities but ended up pulling the trigger on the Tributes. Degaussed A5, unpotted, bobbins slightly worn looking...the neck pickup is the best I've ever heard. Maybe I'll get the Antiquities for my LP Standard though...

Archived