Heritage Owners Club

Back binding on H-157's? Always? Sometimes?

pushover

There's a H-157 on fleabay right now that looks like it doesn't have binding in the back. Is this normal, unusual or what? My 157 has binding front and back, and I can't really imagine that its right not to have it both sides. Maybe its a older model, or something? Any words of wisdom from the wise?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=200225190355

It has been so long since I have seen one of these in person I can't say.  Send an e-mail to Heritage.

the 157 i used to have, had back binding...i believe it is a standard feature

that one has all the tell-tale signs of a 157....headstock inlays, blocks on the ebony board, wood P/G, tripple binding

The H-150 Limited Edition from back in the late 80s/early 90s had a scarfed (what Heritage calls a belly cut) body and a multi-ply bound top (but not back).  It had a curly maple, matching finish headstock veneer, though.  This looks like a cross between the H-157 and the H150LE.  It would be interesting to see the build sheet for it.  Either it's an H-157 with rear binding delete and addition of a scarf, or a H-150LE with a peghead mod and first-fret inlay. 

Maybe we should call it an H-157 Limited Edition.  Too bad he doesn't have a shot of the serial number, it would be interesting to see if it had a limited run stamp on it.

The scarf/belly cut is what precludes the binding on the back.  It's a lot more difficult to inlay the binding due to the now complex shapes of the cut and even if done nicely it still looks bazzar because of the turns and twists in the binding.

I too, am quessing it is a 1-off.

Cheers, Cryoman

he also claims 'neck-thru-body' - i think that is incorrect.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived