Heritage Owners Club

http://www.hiltonele...ofilepedal.html

This is what I use. Keith Hilton's low profile volume pedal. Pretty much no description on their site, it is the secret weapon pedal steel volume pedal. Excellent for guitar. Active, provides a small amount of clean bost, setting for minimum volume. Tone coming through it is a tad brighter than what actually comes out of the guitar, has a trimmer for rolloff of treble. So you can mastch guitar tone with and without pedal. The fact of slightly brighter is good if you use long instrument cables which can take away some highs due to the increase in capacitance due to cable length. Uses an optical system, no pot. Tone is same at low volume as high. Spendy, but tough to beat this one. I input jack, 2 output jacks, mono. Only thing I don't like is wall wart power supply.

Wonderful for doing swells. For instance, using a clean channel does a great volume swell. For a dirty channel you can set gain higher than without use of the pedal and conrol volume and gain with it from pristine clean to animal scream with just the pedal and your pick attack. I love to use it with a d-clone amp because I can control the amount of feedback/sustain in long notes, adds another dimension of emotional feeling in solos.

Do you do swells with your pedal?

At some point, I'd like to do swells/violin. The immediate need is to just control dynamics during performance - i.e. if something I stomp on is suddenly too loud, or to even things out; also to fade out at the end of a song. I'm still grappling with controlling dynamics.

I have an ernie ball mono volume with taper switch. I don't use it at all, sell or trade if interested.

Would rather trade, haven't used it much it's a passive pedal with a taper switch to control the swell. Practically brand new. I don't do swells and I figured out that what I used it for was to boost volume, which meant I kept it backed down a little and then turned up for solos. I get more use out of a MXR Micro Amp, so I don't need the volume pedal.

The thing is, it's heavy and takes up a lot of room. With any volume pedal you might want to use it on the floor instead of your board. Every one I've seen is bulky.

If you decide your interested just let me know and good luck with whatever you get!

This is what I use. Keith Hilton's low profile volume pedal. Pretty much no description on their site, it is the secret weapon pedal steel volume pedal. Excellent for guitar. Active, provides a small amount of clean bost, setting for minimum volume. Tone coming through it is a tad brighter than what actually comes out of the guitar, has a trimmer for rolloff of treble. So you can mastch guitar tone with and without pedal. The fact of slightly brighter is good if you use long instrument cables which can take away some highs due to the increase in capacitance due to cable length. Uses an optical system, no pot. Tone is same at low volume as high. Spendy, but tough to beat this one. I input jack, 2 output jacks, mono. Only thing I don't like is wall wart power supply.

Wonderful for doing swells. For instance, using a clean channel does a great volume swell. For a dirty channel you can set gain higher than without use of the pedal and conrol volume and gain with it from pristine clean to animal scream with just the pedal and your pick attack. I love to use it with a d-clone amp because I can control the amount of feedback/sustain in long notes, adds another dimension of emotional feeling in solos.

Not trying to talk myself out of a sale/trade but this actually sounds way better than any passive volume pedal. Koula if you happen to decide you need an Ernie Ball VP Junior,get the pedal I have it's a better pedal and I will make sure we can work something out. The reason I say this is you will see on a lot of forums and a lot of pedalboards the VP Junior is top dog, and it just isn't. its just a pot you can control with your foot. That's really all mine is as well but you can change the taper on it and it has a seperate tuner out, and I will work something out with you better than any deal you find on a VP Junior, promise.

If you decide to go another way cool but just don't pass on this one for a VP Junior, you'll be selling yourself short.

Would rather trade, haven't used it much it's a passive pedal with a taper switch to control the swell. Practically brand new. I don't do swells and I figured out that what I used it for was to boost volume, which meant I kept it backed down a little and then turned up for solos. I get more use out of a MXR Micro Amp, so I don't need the volume pedal.

The thing is, it's heavy and takes up a lot of room. With any volume pedal you might want to use it on the floor instead of your board. Every one I've seen is bulky.

If you decide your interested just let me know and good luck with whatever you get!

Thanks, Trouble - not sure I want an Ernie Ball, plus, thanks for the info on how heavy it is - I'm back to using a bigger board now, because I want the wah on it, and with a volume pedal it may or may not be too much.

Thanks, Trouble - not sure I want an Ernie Ball, plus, thanks for the info on how heavy it is - I'm back to using a bigger board now, because I want the wah on it, and with a volume pedal it may or may not be too much.

I'm guessing it would be much larger and heavier than you want, although I'm not sure about the one Mavguy is talking about it may be lighter.

The EB pedals do what they are supposed to do but there are a lot of drawbacks with them. I personally wouldn't use a volume pedal at all unless I did do volume swells, other wise I would just use a booster.

I'm guessing it would be much larger and heavier than you want, although I'm not sure about the one Mavguy is talking about it may be lighter.

The EB pedals do what they are supposed to do but there are a lot of drawbacks with them. I personally wouldn't use a volume pedal at all unless I did do volume swells, other wise I would just use a booster.

Plus, aren't the EB pedal the ones with the string that breaks, routinely, and that is one drawback? I may wait, save some $, and try the one Mavguy is talking about.

this sounds good. A lot of people here saying it's better to have an active pedal. all my pedals are true bypass, although I'm not using a lot of cable line. Is the Hilton kind of heavy, like other volume and wah pedals?

Katy,

If you're considering an Ernie Ball vol pedal, watch THIS.

Then consider THIS.

Thanks for educating me on this - if I don't end up buying an active volume, then I'll get the JHS buffer. Btw, JHS has some cool pedals - I'm waiting on their mini foot fuzz.

@Katy

Yup, it's fairly heavy. The top and bottom are made from cast aluminum. Built tough, it's a full on professional unit, not a toy. There might be volume pedals that are capable of doing more than just volume control, this does one thing...very, very well.

At some point, I'd like to do swells/violin. The immediate need is to just control dynamics during performance - i.e. if something I stomp on is suddenly too loud, or to even things out; also to fade out at the end of a song. I'm still grappling with controlling dynamics.

I just use the volume pot on the guitar to achieve the same thing....

I have had an Ernie ball VP Jr, and have been very pleased. No change in tone and very smooth in use. Great for managing volume levels and managing swells.

While there are some pedals I want to do lots of cool stuff, my volume pedal is not one of them. All I want is a smooth operating pot that's reliable and easy to control. My preference was that my volume pedal not cause any change to my tone which was one of the reasons I decided on the EB.

As a side note, some people have had tone change on account of running a tuner on the tuner output of the EB. I use the polytune and have not had that issue. But your experience will vary depending on the tuner you are using.

Archived