Heritage Owners Club

Tenons again- horrific photo

MartyGrass

I agree with you guys for the most part. There is never a blanket fix all guitar tone maker. Each instrument will tell you what it wants. I've played many great sounding h150/lp style guitars without long tenons. I utilize them in my builds as it's become part of the equation in my quest for consistent tone. I do extend the joint almost all of the way to the end of the pickup pocket. Also, I painstakingly fit the neck so that it fits as tightly on all facets as possible. For me, this seems to be working.

The last band I was in was playing an outdoor show, and when we took a break, a musician that was in the crowd came up to talk about my tone. I was gone chowing on some BBQ, but he talked to the other guitar player........"what is that guy playing through?" "he has the best strat sound I've ever heard.

The other guitar player replied.........." A rebuilt 64 Deluxe Reverb and a CHINESE Classic Vibe 50's Strat........bone stock.! The guy walked away shaking his head. He wanted to hear that I had been gifted a 57 Strat from Buddy Guy or something of that nature. I get crap all of the time for being a luthier and playing what I play. Good tone is good tone............sometimes it happens..........sometimes it doesn't.

Archived