Heritage Owners Club

Vintage Ampeg Jet Testimonials?

kidsmoke

Thanks for asking DB, no time to get here and post lately.

I sure did. a 1965 J-12-A. I had it dimed in a bar that night. It had a hard time keeping up with other amps and a drum kit without mic'ing, but the quality of the tone is great. A true stripped down P2P tube amp. Now for the rub....I'm gonna need to start getting to know pedals better. It's an old school amp, just volume, tone and tremolo. No gain. you only get break up with volume. Beautiful cleans, VERY full sounding with my 535 (which i string with flatwound 12's)

with the amp at about 2:00 (7 or so) on the bridge p'up, volume and tone dimed on the guitar (SD/blackback custom custom p'up) think of the intro to "same old song and dance"....great dirty growly....aww man. I love it. Problem is I can't do that at home. So I'm gonna need a pedal so I can push it to breakup at lower volumes. I was thinking about the SD pickup booster(ya'll can feel free to chime in on that).....but one thing at a time.

Now...who can tell me the difference between the J-12-A and the J-12-T????

I haven't been able to find much definitive info on the Ts.

Newer ones (Reissues) have EL84 tubes, not 7591s like the old ones. I think there were changes in the rectifiers between series. Some of those old rectifier tubes are hard to find.

The Unofficial Ampeg page has schematics for the old ones if you need it.

http://www.unofficialampeg.com/

• 3 weeks later...

So did you get the amp?

Sick Day, so I'm finally taking a few minutes to take some pics and share. As stated previously, I love the amp. Had it a month, and its just grown on me more and more. Simple, no fuss or decisions to make ( I hate making decisions!).

Here are some shots. 46 years of music making, for your viewing pleasure.

For the knowledgeable.....How critical is it to swap to a grounded cord?

P1130052.jpg

P1130059.jpg

P1130062.jpg

P1130063.jpg

P1130069.jpg

P1130068.jpg

P1130067.jpg

P1130070.jpg

Thanks for asking DB, no time to get here and post lately.

I sure did. a 1965 J-12-A. I had it dimed in a bar that night. It had a hard time keeping up with other amps and a drum kit without mic'ing, but the quality of the tone is great. A true stripped down P2P tube amp. Now for the rub....I'm gonna need to start getting to know pedals better. It's an old school amp, just volume, tone and tremolo. No gain. you only get break up with volume. Beautiful cleans, VERY full sounding with my 535 (which i string with flatwound 12's)

with the amp at about 2:00 (7 or so) on the bridge p'up, volume and tone dimed on the guitar (SD/blackback custom custom p'up) think of the intro to "same old song and dance"....great dirty growly....aww man. I love it. Problem is I can't do that at home. So I'm gonna need a pedal so I can push it to breakup at lower volumes. I was thinking about the SD pickup booster(ya'll can feel free to chime in on that).....but one thing at a time.

Now...who can tell me the difference between the J-12-A and the J-12-T????

If I promote enough do you think Mike Fuller will endorse me?

Once again, I say Fulltone OCD, it's the smoothest, most versatile and expressive OD I've ever played, and I think it would work great with a semi-hollowbody. There are probably other od's that are as good, I just haven't p[ayed them yet.

Archived