Heritage Owners Club

Annoying getting out of tune

romk

Thundersteel,

Sorry for slow response, been on the road for a week+. All you need is a nut files,

I'm lookin at the nut files on LMI- 60$ is the cheapest, right? I asked my Luthier friend to help me with a nut - he's had the guitar for months. I think if I could just get it back from him I might be better off  buying a 60$ set of files. ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several places have preslotted grahpite nuts--I wonder if it would be easier to do it that way, rather than trying to cut my own out of bone or micarta.

Cod65,

Get that guitar back.... It doesn't take months.  It's an hour job on a really bad day. I cut & fit the nut on my H-137 in 20 minutes and it is just fine.  I'm going to post photos of all the nuts I've cut in recent days to inspire you all to take this matter into your own hands.  You are gonna love doing your own nut work. I like the camel bone from HongKong via E-bay.... has a warm, amber color. Very hard, very consistent.  Tell your luthier friend you are coming right over to get your guitar and give him an hour to cut & shape a new one right there with...teaching you everything he knows about doing it, having you play it as he set the groove depths just the way you like it..... Get that guitar back!!

Cheers,  Cryoman

Yoslate,

Thanks for the vote of confidence!! HOC is awesome & what a treat to share the enthusiasm for these great guitars.  Thanks for the good karma.  I'll try to continue to make more of it myself.  In another week or two I'll post more photos of cutting replacement bone nuts... Wish I could motivate others to see how easy it is. 

Cheers, Cryoman

Cod65,

Get that guitar back.... It doesn't take months.  It's an hour job on a really bad day. I cut & fit the nut on my H-137 in 20 minutes and it is just fine.  I'm going to post photos of all the nuts I've cut in recent days to inspire you all to take this matter into your own hands.  You are gonna love doing your own nut work. I like the camel bone from HongKong via E-bay.... has a warm, amber color. Very hard, very consistent.  Tell your luthier friend you are coming right over to get your guitar and give him an hour to cut & shape a new one right there with...teaching you everything he knows about doing it, having you play it as he set the groove depths just the way you like it..... Get that guitar back!!

Cheers,  Cryoman

I hear ya, c.  the thing is , I hoisted this project on my busy luthier friend, so I don't expect him to get to it .....  ever! He's really in demand as a tube amp guy as well here in San Francisco. I think you are on to something, tho, even if i buy a set of files for 70$.

I hear ya, c.  the thing is , I hoisted this project on my busy luthier friend, so I don't expect him to get to it .....  ever! He's really in demand as a tube amp guy as well here in San Francisco. I think you are on to something, tho, even if i buy a set of files for 70$.

cod65~ I do not know who your tech is, but if you are in the SF Bay Area, you might check with this guy.  He does excellent work and has one of the only Plek machines in town.  (If you aren't already using him!)  :) 

I've had repairs done and the turnaround was pretty good for as busy as he and his staff is.  Brawer does work for Satriani and many other Bay Area pros from what I've read.

http://www.brawer.com/

cod65~ I do not know who your tech is, but if you are in the SF Bay Area, you might check with this guy.  He does excellent work and has one of the only Plek machines in town.  (If you aren't already using him!)  :) 

I've had repairs done and the turnaround was pretty good for as busy as he and his staff is.  Brawer does work for Satriani and many other Bay Area pros from what I've read.

http://www.brawer.com/

oh, yes. i'm quite familiar with Gary Brawer. I go there almost every Sat.  My friend the guitar tech used to work there actually.

Basically,  I cornered my friend at a blues jam and made him take the guitar- even though he was telling me he hadn't had a day off in 4 months- so I knew what I was getting into. It's not my main axe anyway, but an old solid lefty carvin from the late 70's.

I made a rough nut myself , set it up, and it seemed ok. I just thought I'd like to see if he can make it better .... not even sure it needed to be better....  ;)

I'm sold though, dude. I'm gonna get me a set of files and try it myself.  Recently I had the courage to start trying different truss rod settings with my Heritage, and I didn't break it , so I've become emboldened.... and if I ever get that thing back I will prolly try the nut  myself. or if I can find a pre-slotted lefty graphite (it has a Bigsby and roller bridge)

• 3 weeks later...

Here I go again! Thanks to everyone who shared some wisdom in this thread. I made a minor job treating the nut slots with a subtle sandpaper. Then removed locking Grover tuners - I did not like them just because their chrome faked! Installed the stock Grover and restrung them with GHS Red Boomers .010-.046. According to your kind advice, guys, added some graphite lubricant. I got a feeling that my H150 liked the whole care taken of and stays in tune much better now. I would not say it is totally fine but to me it is 8 out of 10 now. Thanks again for some practical use out of this forum. Hope my English was clear enough :)

Well Romk, to me your English is worth one karma point - for as far as my Dutch eyes can judge your language. (Greetings from your uncle!)

I've had some of these strange tuning problems too, but to me they seem to come and go mysteriously. Always remember these mahogany necks live and the hand made Heritages are a bit like women.

;D all is true dudes!

Uncle Jacque I am happy to find you here so much!!! It is u who actually inspired me to look for a Heritage! Your bluesy samples were smth.!

Archived