Heritage Owners Club

Nut material

clmazza

I ordered my guitar in '87 and received it in '88. A year later I had my tech install a bone nut. The tone of the guitar, overall, was much better. I recently had a refret with stainless steel frets, with a new bone nut. The guitar seems just a little brighter with the stainless steel frets. It "rings" a bit more also.

I've replaced all my guitar nuts with Earvana nuts. They are one of the best mods you can do for your guitar. The black ones are made out of the standard GraphTech material, but the intonation mod sets them up SO MUCH better than a standard nut, non-invasive swap, good stuff. Can't recommend them enough.

rooster.

I don't know the answer, but the nut only affects the tone of open strings. As soon as you've fretted a note, you're hearing the fret.

I would have to disagree with that. The string is still held in place by the nut and some string vibration fretted or open is effected. If the nut is cut incorrectly; ie. the slots angle is off or not wide enough, does it effect tuning or intonation of the fretted notes? I think it does.

I have just had graphite nuts fitted to my 2004 H150CM and my 2006 H535 I have the original nuts and the one from the H535 has had a total of 10 attempts to cut the slots this is as new from the factory/dealer.

The only slots that are singly cut are the high and low e slots the remainder are all double cut. This is just very poor workmanship.

What a mess!

I might add the 535s playability has improved somewhat!

Mine's bone, and a replacement from what was on it.

The guitar was bought used, so I don't know if it was the original nut or not.  It was assuredly WAS a mess though, and was replaced most ricky-tick.

Bought the guitar on Sunday, drove down to Charlie Coen's place on Monday, picked it up Wednesday... Plays like a dream now.

Archived