Heritage Owners Club

New amp coming: Evans JE200

MartyGrass

I have no experience with it, but a friend strongly recommended it.

Personally I'm most comfortable with amps that have few dials. I'm a Fender guy. I've mostly adjusted to Henriksen, which is completely different.

So take a look at how this amp is adjusted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWfigjtuSf8&feature=player_embedded

Evans are supposed to be THE solid state jazz amp. I was very close to pulling the trigger on one, but no funds. If I do get a SS jazz amp (currently very comfortable with my '67 Vibrolux & Carr Rambler), Evans will be my first choice.

The only negatives I have heard is the reverb is digital and that the control are not very intuitive. I guess it take a while to dial in the tone.

Please give us a full tone report when you get the amp.

I am the worst at evaluating an amp. Simple is best in my book.

I have a Henriksen with digital reverb. That surprisingly sounds really good. up to moderate levels. I never go beyond that, so I couldn't comment on high levels.

I'll do the best I can with a report on the Evans. I pick it up at a bar today. The seller is having his work Christmas party there. Whoo hoo!

Guy I play with regularly at jams has both the RE and the JE. He plays his vintage 175 through them, and he always has the tone. He's played for a living forever, and has used his Evans amps for a long, long time. He swears by them! I've played my P-90 Super Eagle through the RE a couple of times, at his gigs. I have to have a little bit of 'verb...always. But the first time I played Ray's, he didn't have it on, as he doesn't use it. The tone was so sweet, I never missed it. Evans...little package, big tone!

Mark, thanks to the generosity of my good friend, John (Kuz), I have a set of Thomastik's (12's) flatwounds on the super Super. Tone controls are moved around, depending on the tune, what I'm hearing at any given moment on stage. The tone pots are usually somewhere between 5-8 on the bridge pickup, and 6 -10 on the neck. If I'm in the middle position, I'll usually set both volume pots at about the same volume for chunky, quacky rhythm playing. I'll spend most of my time on the neck pickup.

Mark, thanks to the generosity of my good friend, John (Kuz), I have a set of Thomastik's (12's) flatwounds on the super Super.

I have one big ass guitar with those and a smaller one with GHS flats in 12.

Both are excellent. The TI's are more expensive but they say they last longer. I don't know.

I had a very negative view of flatwounds based on D'Adds chromes. The stainless ones are much more lively and make all the difference.

Thanks.

I have one big ass guitar with those and a smaller one with GHS flats in 12.

Both are excellent. The TI's are more expensive but they say they last longer. I don't know.

I had a very negative view of flatwounds based on D'Adds chromes. The stainless ones are much more lively and make all the difference.

Thanks.

I had the same issue with D'adds chromes. IMHO, Thomastic George Benson Flats are a whole another level of flatwound strings.

I want to say a couple more things about Evans Amps.

A lot of classical style jazz players use these amps but they can respond very well to modern sounds as well.

My friend Vİc Juris ( member of Dave Liebman band ) also uses them.

I have a simple pedal board with vintage ProCo Rat -> Maxon Overdrive -> Boss Octave -> Boss DD-5 Digital delay pedals.

Evans sounds great with all of them.

I have 3 Evans amps 2 JE200s ( 1 Black + 1 Red ) and 1 AH200.

Now I want 1 RE200.

They sound a lot like a twin reverb with fat mid range.

I use my RAT pedal with Drive 9 O'clock - Filter 3 O'Clock and Volume @ 1 O'clock settings.

And it sounds great. It responds to my playing almost like a tube amp.

I say almost in a good way since I do not like tube amps for clean sounds.

Only twins but they are hard to cary.

Just my2C

Archived